Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ + SolusVM & PPP / TUN Modules
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ + SolusVM & PPP / TUN Modules

JacobJacob Member
edited December 2011 in General

Ok, So I know a few providers have the custom controlpanels that have all the fancy enable PPP / TUN modules.
But for the providers that use SolusVM how do we work around this without having to spend a pretty penny?

Any of you guys care to share your Ideas or opinions on how this could work and what modifications could be needed?

Comments

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited December 2011

Could make a cron in PHP that gets all the VPSs, and enables it?

!/usr/bin/php (or just invoke with php )

$list = shell_exec("ls /vz/private");
    $vzlist = explode("\n", $list);
    foreach($vzlist as $vps) {
    shell_exec("vzctl set $vps --devnodes net/tun:rw --save");
    echo "Enabled Tun for $vps";
    }

I haven't tested that, it was written in 2 minutes off the top of my head.

• You dont need to make any modifications to the panel to enable PPP and TUN?

• jhjh Member

No modifications or expenditure are needed. Just click that Enable TUN button.

• I'm talking about end user side here guys, not on my side.
    I know tun/tap is available for the admin to enable on VPSs but I need some advice on both PPP and TUN modules being available on client side.

• Oh you mean to automate things? Gotcha

• @EaseVPS said: I know tun/tap is available for the admin to enable on VPSs but I need some advice on both PPP and TUN modules being available on client side.

Why not just enable it for all customers? It doesn't really matter if their going to use it or not, if their not going to use it, there never notice it.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited December 2011

You can enable PPP on the host node then just add a knowledgebase article or something with code to run it on the container.

• So create a script on each node that runs on a cron and runs every a few hours say to re-enable it on every container.

I think that is what you mean right?

• @VMPort
    The module is required to be enabled on host node, It has nothing to do with the client side.

I think daniel's Idea may work but wouldn't this cron slow things down, Alot?

• Im quite aware of that, which is why i said..
    "You enable PPP on the host node"

• @VMPort
    Thanks for the suggestion, VMPort.

I'm going to have a try at daniels Idea.

• @Daniel

What is piepanel? I have been wondering all day..

edited December 2011

The kernel module has to be enable on the nodes kernel, but then it has to be enabled on each VPS individually too on the nodes side.

• Umm... Piepanel? O_o

edited December 2011

Something I've been working on for computing studies so I don't have to learn awful Visual Basic.NET

• JacobJacob Member
    edited December 2011

VB Isn't that bad apart from the dependencies requirement, I prefer Java over any product developed by Microsoft.

• I did a test, and found PHP faster then Visual Basic.NET, even though PHP is interpreted.