Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH in Canada
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH in Canada

japonjapon Member
edited December 2011 in General

I guess we'll see some more attractive VPS offers in the future, now that OVH will also install 360,000 servers in Canada. Might be quite interesting for existing OVH-providers.

Comments

• heh I wonder if anyone ask the electric company if they could support those many servers.

I know from my ev1 days, they hit that barrier a few times due to poor planning and zoning.

• I remember a friend going to a canadian datacentre in 2004 and they didn't even have a screwdriver... good job he had one in his car.

• I guess then it's good for Canada to have OVH there soon.

• @net said: I remember a friend going to a canadian datacentre in 2004 and they didn't even have a screwdriver... good job he had one in his car.

They didn't have one, or didn't want to loan their tools out to folks? :P If someone I don't fully trust comes to my house asking to borrow a tool, they're invariably surprised to hear that "I don't have any" :P

• @Aldryic said: If someone I don't fully trust comes to my house asking to borrow a tool, they're invariably surprised to hear that "I don't have any"

Heh, true. I wouldn't give a burglar the tool to brake into my house, too.

• maxexcloomaxexcloo Member
    edited December 2011

@drmike said: heh I wonder if anyone ask the electric company if they could support those many servers.

I'm sure OVH have it worked out. They run some of the largest DCs in the world from what I know ;)

• @net said: I remember a friend going to a canadian datacentre in 2004 and they didn't even have a screwdriver... good job he had one in his car.

There's a internet fable that someone requested and got a Packard Bell tech to come to their house to look at their PC.

A GE tech showed up with a magnetic screwdriver. :)

• Darn, we need more sonic screwdrivers.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Interesting, I wonder if they will have all the KimSufi offers.

• I bet they will if they're ordering so many servers ;-)

• netpioneernetpioneer Member
    edited December 2011

I don't believe in this number (360,000 servers in Canada). Recently OVH waived the setup fee to comemorate the grand total of 100,000 servers taking in account all data centers they use. Even considering the toy servers (12/2u) you have a huge investiment 30,000 @ 3-5K USD each plus 15,000 switches and 2,000 racks

• @netpioneer said: I don't believe in this number (360,000 servers in Canada).

Here's the tweet from the owner of OVH:

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • 36 mini tours de 10000 serveurs chacun=360000 serveurs dediés

• Qui qui, je sais.

• Honestly, sounds like a big joke.

• @netpioneer said: Honestly, sounds like a big joke.

Why would they do that?

• ...English, motherf*****, do you speak it?!

Related:

And yes, he tweeted it, that's definitely conclusive proof. I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that they'd even think to commit to 360k at this point, since they only have 100k active right now.

• japonjapon Member
    edited December 2011

@DimeCadmium said: ...English, motherf*****, do you speak it?!

You got up on the wrong side of the bed, didn't you?

@DimeCadmium said: And yes, he tweeted it, that's definitely conclusive proof. I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that they'd even think to commit to 360k at this point, since they only have 100k active right now.

You might be able to yell at people but reading and understanding seems not to be your strength. The company intends to have 360k servers at the end of their roll-out in Canada. However, they plan to build their 10k towers (the ones they built in Roubaix) one by one until they reach 360k. This might take months and years. Is that so hard to understand?

But maybe let's picture it for you: You order a pizza. Your mouth has definitely not the size of the pizza. So taking your conclusion it will be impossible for you to eat it. Well, I say you can eat it. Piece by piece. And in the end you ate a pizza. That's wasn't so hard, was it?

edited December 2011

I couldn't find any evidence it is true. Could you please point a reputable media outlet commenting about this? Given the fact a data center costs $5 million/MW, building a 120MW dc in Canada should get some attention from the media

• @japon said: You got up on the wrong side of the bed, didn't you?

No, I just love that line. (Protip: if someone says that line, chances are they ARE NOT SERIOUS...)

@japon said: You might be able to yell at people but reading and understanding seems not to be your strength.

Uhh... no, you're absolutely right, reading and understanding French is not my strength. Because French, motherf*****, I do not speak. Sorry for not speaking every language in the world. Really. My apologies. I didn't realize I was supposed to.

@japon said: The company intends to have 360k servers at the end of their roll-out in Canada

Well yeah, and I plan to have a trillion servers by the end of my roll-out in Antarctica.

My point is I doubt they've committed to purchasing equipment to support nearly that many, which is what some of the media outlets seem to be reporting.

And FYI, I have no clue what a "10k tower" is, or what they built in some city whose name I can't even begin to pronounce properly. I don't use OVH, they won't sell to me (well, apparently "ovh.ie" will), and quite frankly I don't care to think about OVH because I have a much sweeter deal anyways.

I also just noticed, apparently the OP link "montrealtechwatch" doesn't know that VA != W. That's another story for another day though.

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited December 2011

@netpioneer said: I couldn't find any evidence it is true. Could you please point a reputable media outlet commenting about this?

Sure. An OVH exec's twitter posts, as linked above, and as linked in the "montrealtechwatch" article.

@netpioneer said: Given the fact a data center costs $ 5 million USD / MW building a 120MW dc in Canada should be news everywhere.

Hah! Dude, do you really expect someone like NYTimes or whatever to care about a data center? Sorry, my friend... you're very mistaken.

edited December 2011

Hah! Dude, do you really expect someone like NYTimes or whatever to care about a data center? Sorry, my friend... you're very mistaken.

Less less. What about http://www.datacenterknowledge.com ? Maybe GigaOM?

We are talking about a $1 billion data center.

• japonjapon Member
    edited December 2011

@DimeCadmium said: And FYI, I have no clue what a "10k tower" is, or what they built in some city whose name I can't even begin to pronounce properly. I don't use OVH, they won't sell to me (well, apparently "ovh.ie" will), and quite frankly I don't care to think about OVH because I have a much sweeter deal anyways.

So to say it frankly, you have no clue whatsoever, you don't care about anything, but still care to post and yell in this thread. That is very mature.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@DimeCadmium said: Hah! Dude, do you really expect someone like NYTimes or whatever to care about a data center? Sorry, my friend... you're very mistaken.

Maybe not the NYTimes, but local media should. When the media in all of the surrounding counties found out the company I work for full-time is planning on building another data center in another county they reported it before our CIO had a chance to send a memo to the staff.

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited December 2011

@japon said: So to say it frankly, you have no clue whatsoever, you don't care about anything, but still care to post and yell in this thread. That is very mature.

Umm... okay. To begin with, again... when did I yell? (Don't you dare say when I quoted a movie, for God's sake.)
    Then there's the fact that they state they are "planning to roll out 360,000 servers in the future", which who the heck knows exactly what that means - a year? 5 years? I don't think I need to know what a "10k tower" is to know what 360,000 servers are.

Basically, "I have no clue whatsoever" - sure, you keep thinking that. Again, sorry I'm not familiar with exactly how OVH does what they do. Didn't realize that was a prerequisite for commenting on the enormous quantity of 360k servers. When they only have 100k right now. Again, why are they planning to put 360k in a secondary location when they only even HAVE 100k right now?

And I "don't care about anything" what? Your next point was I still care to post in this thread :)
    But no, if I didn't care about anything I wouldn't have posted. No, I don't give a crap how OVH builds out their servers. But I do care that they're "planning" hundreds of thousands of servers. Which is what this thread is about. Not about HOW they're going to do it.

• japonjapon Member
    edited December 2011

@KuJoe said: Maybe not the NYTimes, but local media should.

I could post that. But then again its in French as its the language spoken in Montreal and @DimeCadmium will then yell how people can be so unpolitely to speak their own language in their own country and not use English. That's why I took the first English version I could find.

@DimeCadmium: I found something interesting, a site that gathers information from other sites and keeps them accessible in a database. It's called Google. And I found this: http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/hosting+group+picks+city+data+centre/5874397/story.html , http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/hosting+group+picks+city+data+centre/5875631/story.html . Pretty good how that thing called Google works, huh?

• @japon said: I could post that. But then again its in French as its the language spoken in Montreal and @DimeCadmium will then yell how people can be so unpolitely to speak their own language in their own country and not use English.

Umm... no, it's NOT polite to speak French on an ENGLISH forum on an ENGLISH thread. It's not polite at all, you're ABSOLUTELY right. FYI, LowEndTalk is not your country (it's not anyone's country, but it's DEFINITELY not a French-speaking country).

Know what's even more impolite? Getting all butthurt over a movie quote. Said jokingly. That anyone with half a brain could not take seriously. GET OVER IT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

@japon said: @DimeCadmium: I found something interesting, a site that gathers information from other sites and keeps them accessible in a database. It's called Google. And I found this: http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/hosting+group+picks+city+data+centre/5874397/story.html , http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/hosting+group+picks+city+data+centre/5875631/story.html . Pretty good how that thing called Google works, huh?

Sorry, I don't understand what your point is, since I never asked anything that those articles answer, and considering netpioneer, not me, was the one to ask about "reputable media"... so, what?

• I think you should re-think about a social adequate behavior if you don't realize that writing in all caps in a text based media and "English, motherf*****" is not yelling. You might also realize that all relevant information I post is in English and we are currently writing in English.

• Is there even 360000 people in canada? Maybe their planning on hucking up a few bears and a few whales.

Thanked by 1drmike
    edited December 2011

And I found this

Just rumors and no reference to 360,000 servers.