Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Solusvm alternative?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Solusvm alternative?

leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

After going through this thread https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/80894/solusvm-is-development-dead#latest

What features are fellow providers looking at from Solusvm V2 or an alternative software? For us, it just works, which is more than we can say about some of the hosting software.

Sure it has some missing stuff like Merging nodes or migrating full nodes, but the features that come with it are working well.

So what features do you want from v2?

Comments

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

leapswitch said: Sure it has some missing stuff like Merging nodes or migrating full nodes, but the features that come with it are working well.

You can automate this pretty easily.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Migration of OpenVZ ploop containers to actually update the disk space used post migration and not fail at 99%.

The ability to remove a 6 year old OS template from the master because someone used it once and dist upgraded all the way.

The ability to add a second disk on XenPV/HVM based servers or from any LVM/Source.

Passwords not to be stored in plain text

The ability to select a KVM template when creating a product instead of seeing a list of Xen's ISO's

To not suddenly find out after wasting 2 hours troubleshooting that all the problems a brand new customer is having stem from the fact that solusvm only removed a VPS from its database but thought it would be fun to leave it running in the background so said new customer thinks your a chump!, meanwhile the old customer has just had free service for 3 months.

An appropriate response to my tickets about the above and the 95 others I have going back a year with solusvm.

:)

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@AlexBarakov said:

leapswitch said: Sure it has some missing stuff like Merging nodes or migrating full nodes, but the features that come with it are working well.

You can automate this pretty easily.

Yes, and most providers who need it regularly have done it. However I am talking about features that come with Solusvm by default, and these are 2 which are missing.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

AlexBarakov said: You can automate this pretty easily.

Yeah but the issue with solusvm currently is that there are more work around's and manual tasks than features, it seems to be an acceptable solution for some reason.

buy a dog and bark yourself and all that.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@leapswitch said:
    After going through this thread https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/80894/solusvm-is-development-dead#latest

What features are fellow providers looking at from Solusvm V2 or an alternative software? For us, it just works, which is more than we can say about some of the hosting software.

Sure it has some missing stuff like Merging nodes or migrating full nodes, but the features that come with it are working well.

So what features do you want from v2?

v2 won't have that much new features, but new design and effectively, new features. Not that much from the admin side though.

AnthonySmith said: Yeah but the issue with solusvm currently is that there are more work around's and manual tasks than features, it seems to be an acceptable solution for some reason.

True that. I am more concerned of un-handled security issues and the actual lack of development and developers, meaning a slow response in case of 0day and etc.

Anyway, we are nearly done with our custom panel based on Nodejs, Angular and Express.

@AlexBarakov said:

AnthonySmith said: Yeah but the issue with solusvm currently is that there are more work around's and manual tasks than features, it seems to be an acceptable solution for some reason.

True that. I am more concerned of un-handled security issues and the actual lack of development and developers, meaning a slow response in case of 0day and etc.

Anyway, we are nearly done with our custom panel based on Nodejs, Angular and Express.

Any screenshots?

MrGeneral said: Any screenshots?

Soon Tm.

Naah. It's national holiday over here, once I am back in the office, I will post some screenshots and look for some volunteers to test it out under load, most likely middle next week. It's based on pure bootstrap at this point, as we are focusing mainly on the backend functionality and the plan is to deal with the design at a later stage, it's fully responsive though. We have a lot of work in front of us - public API is not yet fully ready, floating IPs are in progress and will soon be finished, KVM integration is in early Alpha and etc. Don't want to de-rail another thread.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@AlexBarakov said:

MrGeneral said: Any screenshots?

Soon Tm.

Naah. It's national holiday over here, once I am back in the office, I will post some screenshots and look for some volunteers to test it out under load, most likely middle next week. It's based on pure bootstrap at this point, as we are focusing mainly on the backend functionality and the plan is to deal with the design at a later stage, it's fully responsive though. We have a lot of work in front of us - public API is not yet fully ready, floating IPs are in progress and will soon be finished, KVM integration is in early Alpha and etc. Don't want to de-rail another thread.

PM me for beta test please :)

Cheers

• netenginetengi Member, Host Rep

I recommend VMManager, support openvz and kvm. Russian development

• I am also considering to change the control panel. Their support really helpless.

• DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2016

Would like to note that DET.io will be a SolusVM Alternative & OnApp Alternative. Priced fairly and is affordable for operation for all hosting company sizes.

• Virtual Machines
    • Containers

• Platform as a Service

• One-Click Apps

• 100's of Bitnami Applications
        • Plenty of One-Click apps maintained by DET.io
      • Custom Applications

• Services that can be attached to Applications:
      • All applications launched through PaaS are scalable:
    • High Availability

• Storage as a Service

Pricing & Features of editions:

The cost is capped at 64GB RAM per Node, meaning the max cost is $16/mo/node for the Minified Edition & $32/mo/node for the Complete Edition with no hidden costs.

Our pricing model is designed to allow providers with small hypervisors (8/16/32) GB ram not have to pay as much as providers that use E5's with 128/256GB ram per node.

If you're interested in the product and would like to get contacted when it is released, please join our mailing list: http://eepurl.com/cekk1z

Thanked by 1Catalin
  • DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2016

Here's a quick teaser:

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

DETio said: DET.io will be a new option

Could you clarify how your App can compare with SolusVM? It looks more like onApp competitor, nor SolusVM. And how about pricing schema?

• DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2016

@time4vps said:

Could you clarify how your App can compare with SolusVM? It looks more like onApp competitor, nor SolusVM. And how about pricing schema?

Our minified edition directly competes with SolusVM, and is half the price of our complete edition.

Check out the end of my last post (last picture) - It includes pricing and features of both editions.

• It looks nice. While not the cheapest, but has a decent price point. But all you have shown us is front end. Howabout backend? How long did it take you me team to develop this? > @DETio said:

@time4vps said:

Our minified edition directly competes with SolusVM, and is half the price of our complete edition.

Check out the end of my last post (last picture) - It includes pricing and features of both editions.

• And forgot to ask, since it is all "cloudy" how exactly does it work? What are the hardware requirements?

• DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2016

seriesn said: It looks nice. While not the cheapest, but has a decent price point. But all you have shown us is front end. Howabout backend? How long did it take you me team to develop this? > @DETio said:

Billing & User management can be done directly from WHMCS. Since we support them natively, VM Administration tasks can be done through the OpenNebula Admin Panel - including things such as suspending VM's - monitoring usage - configuiring firewalls (optional).

Our launcher actually configuires and launches everything for you in a click, including the OpenNebula platform - it wires up High Availability for you and such as well. (I'll have videos up in the following week showing how you can deploy, configure regions, setup IP's with ease - we have support for IPv6 & IPv4 - etc.)

The front-end panel connects with our cloud engine which utilizes OpenNebula - an opensource Private Cloud platform. The architecture of the application is top-notch and ensures security, performance, and reliability.

It's been under development for the past 12 months, originally as a Platform as a Service project (Application Launching & Scaling) but then we moved onto the provider section since we noticed a lack of options.

We currently have a team of 9 currently (7 full time) actively developing the project.

Regarding System Requirements and how things work, we're actually drafting up all the Documentation and should have it up in around a weeks time.

Here you can find a preview of the system requirements and more details about the features included:
    DET.io Documentation Preview

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

leapswitch said: However I am talking about features that come with Solusvm by default, and these are 2 which are missing.

SolusVM is no longer being developed, so you're out of luck.

• The final price is not so far from SolusVM.

If you pick up the "Minified" edition for a 32GB RAM server it will be $8.00, while $16.00 for the "Complete" one.

In addition it's SaaS and I personally don't like such model (hosted elsewhere).

• DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2016

andreamada said: The final price is not so far from SolusVM.

If you pick up the "Minified" edition for a 32GB RAM server it will be $8.00, while $16.00 for the "Complete" one.

In addition it's SaaS and I personally don't like such model (hosted elsewhere).

We're not here to undercut SolusVM pricing, Solus has a decent pricing model and is affordable. However, our complete edition undercuts OnApp by a margin - with OnApp the minimum cost can be around $1400/mo for a deployment with HA.

It's only SaaS for our minified edition.

Also as Randog mentioned, Solus is lacking development & is depreciating over time. So an upgrade path is sweet, which we can offer - since we will also will be offering migration tools from Solus.

• seriesnseriesn Member
    edited September 2016

DETio said: Also as Randog mentioned, Solus is no longer under development and technically depreciated. So an upgrade path is sweet, which we can offer - since we will also will be offering migration tools from Solus.

Do you really think after investing that much money Onapp will drop solus? Highly doubt that from a business standpoint.

What I can however see that, there won't be any new feature added for solus anytime soon while OnApp might get those. By doing so, they are creating that typical lowend vs premium product selections.

If you want something short and simple, solus is there for cheap. Oh you want XYZ and more? Nah You gotta have onapp brotha.

On another note, you are not really targeting solus by any means! Just from the quick glimpse, all I see is smokes coming out of my grandpas car.

Btw Credit where it's due, very innovative and decent price point.

• OnApp_TerryOnApp_Terry Member
    edited September 2016

@raindog308 said:

leapswitch said: However I am talking about features that come with Solusvm by default, and these are 2 which are missing.

SolusVM is being actively maintained and developed. The holiday season has slowed things, however everyone is back in the office so we will continue to make good progress and should have more information for you in just a few weeks.

I know it doesn't answer the question of "When is Solus 2 coming?!" Trust me, I wish I could give you that information -- there is a goal date, and it is in 2016 -- but we don't want to tell you inaccurate information.

Thanked by 1zafouhar

@OnApp_Terry said:

@raindog308 said:

SolusVM is being actively maintained and developed. The holiday season has slowed things, however everyone is back in the office so we will continue to good progress and should have more information for you in just a few weeks.

Terry, you know I like you guys. Spoke a lot to Philip, he's a great guy.
    Now seriously, it's been a long time spreading rumors and excuses.
    When will the v2 be released?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

OnApp_Terry said: SolusVM is being actively maintained and developed.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

There's tons of evidence that Solus is a dead-end product. There's zero evidence that you guys are still working on it.

That's really what an honest outsider observes.

Thanked by 1DETio
  • DETioDETio Member
    edited September 2016

@seriesn said:
    On another note, you are not really targeting solus by any means!

We're not really targeting to be like Solus, but an alternative to Solus. For example, our Minified Edition follows much of DigitalOcean's path - and covers the majority of features that DigitalOcean offers. By the time we end feature development of our Minified edition, it will include at-least all or atleast the majority of what DigitalOcean offers.

Now, DigitalOcean is a competitor to all the providers that use SolusVM - so through that way it is an alternative. Not that it is a product that works like SolusVM.

Regarding what I said about solus, I fixed it - I thought wrong because of their lack of contribution to the project.

• There's Virualizor, VMware, Sadeem and HyperVM etc..

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

@DETio said:

@seriesn said:
    On another note, you are not really targeting solus by any means!

We're not really targeting to be like Solus, but an alternative to Solus. For example, our Minified Edition follows much of DigitalOcean's path - and covers the majority of features that DigitalOcean offers. By the time we end feature development of our Minified edition, it will include at-least all or atleast the majority of what DigitalOcean offers.

Whether you want to be like them or not, if you intend to be an alternative option then you're in competition with them. What I've seen so far looks very interesting, I'll be following your guys' progress closely -- best of luck!

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

seriesn said: Do you really think after investing that much money Onapp will drop solus? Highly doubt that from a business standpoint.

You're assuming that the reason OnApp bought SolusVM is to continue its development. Right now, the more likely explanation seems to be that it was a competitor buy-out.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@joepie91 said:

seriesn said: Do you really think after investing that much money Onapp will drop solus? Highly doubt that from a business standpoint.

You're assuming that the reason OnApp bought SolusVM is to continue its development. Right now, the more likely explanation seems to be that it was a competitor buy-out.

SolusVM is bank roll, nothing more.

Lets be real, Solus was never going to be adding 'cloud features' like HA, shared storage, or things like that. We've both seen the code, if they didn't have some easy wrapper doing the heavy lifting it was a no-go.

Francisco