Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you beat the VPS price from Contabo?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can you beat the VPS price from Contabo?

DormeoDormeo Member
edited September 2016 in Requests

Hello,

I have a "VPS L" package at Contabo.
Can anybody offer a better price for this kind of VPS?
I prefer the EU location.

Thanks!

Comments

• Resources for such a price means heavily oversold

Anyway, Kimsufi can :)

• So, who selling VPS for higher price, that is always better?

@thatix said:
    Resources for such a price means heavily oversold

• Why are you planning to run away? nightmare experience?

• No

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

hahaha, 50GB RAM and 1.2TB Pure SSD storage for €26 p/month.

That's hilarious.

if a restaurant was only charging $0.25 for prime beef would you not be suspicious, would you go and ask McDonald's to beat it?

• cociucociu Member
    edited September 2016

AnthonySmith said: would you go and ask McDonald's to beat it?

i was espect this answer . You have my respect. in my opinion every company have good things and bad ones. In any product have space to improove (beer, sex, vps, etc etc , eaven in mariage)

• @cociu said:
    In any product have space to improove (beer, sex, vps, etc etc

Wat.

Thanked by 2trewq netomx
  • No, I like them. I just looking home for my new project.
    Probably I will choose again the contabo plan, but if there is better I can try that...

@andreamada said:
    Why are you planning to run away? nightmare experience?

Well obviously you dont want a long term or stable home :)

• DormeoDormeo Member
    edited September 2016

I'm using contabo more that one year.
    That project what is already there I dont want to move.
    But I always search the new opportunity for my new projects.
    Nobody knows when you find a better provider than your current provider....

@AnthonySmith said:
    Well obviously you dont want a long term or stable home :)

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

Any point to beat someone? No point. If you make a lowest price, it will be for a very short time: A. Service will be heavily oversold, no support, no satisfaction. B. Someone overbeat in short time. C. Company bankrupt.

i just finished eating my hat.

cough.

Thanked by 2Nekki Pwner
  • 27€/Mo Plan offers 1,2 TB PURE SSD, 1Gbits, 10 cores and 50gb ram.
    Seems legit indeed

Ympker said: 27€/Mo Plan offers 1,2 TB PURE SSD, 1Gbits, 10 cores and 50gb ram. Seems legit indeed

Well he said he has been using his for a year, even if it dies tomorrow its been a hell of a money saver eh.

Meanwhile in a cardboard box outside an internet cafe the owner is eating stale bread and begging for change I expect :)

Thanked by 2Ympker Basil
  • @AnthonySmith said:

Ympker said: 27€/Mo Plan offers 1,2 TB PURE SSD, 1Gbits, 10 cores and 50gb ram. Seems legit indeed

Well he said he has been using his for a year, even if it dies tomorrow its been a hell of a money saver eh.

Meanwhile in a cardboard box outside an internet cafe the owner is eating stale bread and begging for change I expect :)

Well being from Germany I am atleast tempted to consider their Plans and if necessary ask for a refuns via Phone/Mail should there be anything wrong with the servers

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2016

Dormeo said: No, I like them. I just looking home for my new project. Probably I will choose again the contabo plan, but if there is better I can try that...

For a side project, I am using Contabo's VPS L SSD. It is working a treat, no downtime no BS. It works. i/o was hard capped, but support helped with that.

AnthonySmith said: Well obviously you dont want a long term or stable home :)

On the contrary, Contabo has been very stable to be honest. Sure, there could be something hidden in the TOS, maybe thin provisioned - but in the end, it works a treat :)

Thanked by 1Dormeo

rsk said: On the contrary, Contabo has been very stable to be honest. Sure, there could be something hidden in the TOS, maybe thin provisioned - but in the end, it works a treat :)

AnthonySmith said: i just finished eating my hat.

cough.

:)

• Please do not trolling in this topic if nobody want to buy your overpriced products...

@AnthonySmith said:

rsk said: On the contrary, Contabo has been very stable to be honest. Sure, there could be something hidden in the TOS, maybe thin provisioned - but in the end, it works a treat :)

AnthonySmith said: i just finished eating my hat.

cough.

:)

Dormeo said: Please do not trolling in this topic if nobody want to buy your overpriced products...

I think perhaps you don't understand, I was trying to say sorry in a funny way, I did not believe the offer but obviously it is real :)

You say "I will eat my hat" when you accept that you are wrong.

No offence intended.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited September 2016

Dormeo said: Please do not trolling in this topic if nobody want to buy your overpriced products...

I look forward to your whiny posts when Contabo finally crap the bed in 6 months time.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • OMG, do you know anything about contabo?
    They are not a company what is established less then 3 years...

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

I'm not sure what OP tries to achieve with such a thread. Obviously, Contabo pricing is alright and he is happy with it. What more can a guy ask for?

Thanked by 2netomx Pwner
  • @thatix said:
    Resources for such a price means heavily oversold

For 29 euros a month, you get 1.2TB pure-SSD (which clearly isn't oversold)...

How haven't they deadpooled yet? :P

Thanked by 1thatix
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited September 2016

exception0x876 said: What more can a guy ask for?

even cheaper pricing or get paid for shilling :-P

yet he is at least right about contabo being in the market for a long time and probably not going anywhere else soon. they have a bit of a history from years ago but there haven't been much to hear or read about them lately.

I considered them more than once, yet never really tried as I prefer Gbps even if I don't need much bw and wouldn't go for that big plans only to get that port.

at least there is nothing to be surpised about that there are happy customers over there, most people probably make use of only a fraction of those ressources.

one of the bigger boards in germany to watch for issues and complaints is http://forum.webhostlist.de but there are not much threads about them at all. you can find some ratings here: https://www.webhostlist.de/anbieter/getRatings/19508/contabo-gmbh

I'd bet on them doing thin provisioning and they probably do offer at least average services in terms of network connection and such, so depending on the individual use case it may work out very well at that price tag.
    reminds me a bit on something like openvz.io , xenpower or that former edis brand which used to push servers to its limits, but at least contabo uses KVM instead ;-)

regarding OPs request netcup may come close to that price tag: https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=1372

doghouch said: How haven't they deadpooled yet? :P

they're most probably good in doing calculations based on what customers really use...

and maybe they get rid of possible abusers fast or just simply don't do business with customers which they can't get hold of at all.

• @Dormeo said:
    OMG, do you know anything about contabo?
    They are not a company what is established less then 3 years...

OMG as much as you know about Inception Hosting.

Going to be interesting to see how things go when they become known for cheap SSD "backup space" and people actually use it.

Thanked by 3Falzo Pwner tux
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited September 2016

@Falzo said:

exception0x876 said: What more can a guy ask for?

even cheaper pricing or get paid for shilling :-P

yet he is at least right about contabo being in the market for a long time and probably not going anywhere else soon. they have a bit of a history from years ago but there haven't been much to hear or read about them lately.

I considered them more than once, yet never really tried as I prefer Gbps even if I don't need much bw and wouldn't go for that big plans only to get that port.

at least there is nothing to be surpised about that there are happy customers over there, most people probably make use of only a fraction of those ressources.

one of the bigger boards in germany to watch for issues and complaints is http://forum.webhostlist.de but there are not much threads about them at all. you can find some ratings here: https://www.webhostlist.de/anbieter/getRatings/19508/contabo-gmbh

I'd bet on them doing thin provisioning and they probably do offer at least average services in terms of network connection and such, so depending on the individual use case it may work out very well at that price tag.
    reminds me a bit on something like openvz.io , xenpower or that former edis brand which used to push servers to its limits, but at least contabo uses KVM instead ;-)

regarding OPs request netcup may come close to that price tag: https://www.netcup.de/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=1372

doghouch said: How haven't they deadpooled yet? :P

they're most probably good in doing calculations based on what customers really use...

and maybe they get rid of possible abusers fast or just simply don't do business with customers which they can't get hold of at all.

That 10mbits throttle always keeps me from buying their Servers for my non critical Servers. Eben 1gbits Plan gets throttled if 60mbps over certain time

Edit: what cpu do they utilize?

• @Ympker said:

@Falzo said:

That 10mbits throttle always keeps me from buying their Servers for my non critical Servers. Eben 1gbits Plan gets throttled if 60mbps over certain time

I agree. while not having tested it yet to see how exactly they hold up onto this it seems to be easy to push 60 mbps for a while by something like just doing a full backup or such things.

if you are lucky and the connection to another server is fast you may be able to push more then 20-30GB within 10 minutes , but if you're on the edge of lets say around 100Mbps, 10GB will suffice to trigger those limits.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Can you beat the VPS price from Contabo?

we can't, and we don't want to

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited September 2016

@Falzo said:

@Ympker said:

@Falzo said:

I agree. while not having tested it yet to see how exactly they hold up onto this it seems to be easy to push 60 mbps for a while by something like just doing a full backup or such things.

if you are lucky and the connection to another server is fast you may be able to push more then 20-30GB within 10 minutes , but if you're on the edge of lets say around 100Mbps, 10GB will suffice to trigger those limits.

well you could configure your vps to use only 55mbps at max but thats a hassle and who knows how they "measure" your usage. They can always say that your measuring is wrong.

Plus, if you get ddosed contabo drops you and even may happen to ask you to pay for the damage caused (this is basicly what the german mail below states; source: Click).

Sehr geehrter Herr ***,

wir kontaktieren Sie, um Ihnen mitzuteilen, dass Ihr Server bei Contabo
    aktuell das Ziel eines sehr großen Netzwerkangriffs ist. Dieser Angriff
    verursacht nicht nur Probleme mit der Erreichbarkeit Ihres Servers, sondern
    auch Probleme für viele andere Kunden. Es handelt sich hier nicht bloß um
    einen vernachlässigbaren Vorfall, sondern um eine erhebliche Beeinträchtigung
    unseres Netzwerks. Als Dienstleistungsanbieter müssen wir allerdings die
    Verfügbarkeit des gesamten Netzwerks zu jeder Zeit gewährleisten.

Leider ist es nicht möglich, das Problem mit regulären Mitteln zu lösen. Sie sind
    stets unser wichtigster Partner und wir treffen alle Maßnahmen, um Ihren
    Server vor Angriffen aus dem Internet zu schützen. Bei diesem Netzwerkangriff
    handelt es sich allerdings nicht um einen trivialen DoS-Angriff. DoS-Angriffe
    werden automatisch an unserem Router geblockt und unsere Kunden nehmen
    im Normalfall nicht einmal Notiz davon. Der aktuelle Angriff jedoch ist massiv
    und wird mit gewaltigen Ressourcen durchgeführt. Solche Angriffe können nicht
    von jedermann koordiniert und bewerkstelligt werden. Abhängig von der
    Komplexität und den Mitteln des Angreifers ist es manchmal unmöglich, solche
    dDoS-Angriffe mit derzeitiger Technologie abzufangen. Dann gibt es nur eine
    Möglichkeit: Nicht die angreifenden IP-Adressen (von denen es unzählige
    geben kann) zu blocken, sondern die angegriffene IP-Adresse. Das ist für uns
    stets die letzte, aber leider einzige Möglichkeit, die Stabilität des Netzwerks
    wiederherzustellen. Unsere Hände sind in dieser Sache leider gebunden und es
    gibt nur noch diese eine Möglichkeit: Wir mussten sofort reagieren und Ihren
    Server temporär sperren.

Sollten Sie irgendwelche Informationen über den Angreifer oder den Grund des
    Angriffs besitzen, möchten wir Sie bitten, Ihre Kenntnisse detailliert zu
    beschreiben, damit wir unsere Bemühungen gemeinsam besser koordinieren
    können. Bitte nennen Sie uns eine Möglichkeit, solche Angriffe in Zukunft zu
    vermeiden. Wir schätzen unsere Geschäftsbeziehung sehr, müssen ab sofort
    aber enger zusammenarbeiten, um das Auftreten solcher Angriffe zukünftig zu
    verhindern.

Wir möchten Sie davon in Kenntnis setzen, dass die Bewältigung dieses
    Problems enormen Aufwand verursacht. Uns ist ernsthafter Schaden
    entstanden, viele unserer Kunden waren betroffen. Unsere Techniker sind
    damit beschäftigt, die betroffenen Netzwerksegmente wieder erreichbar zu
    machen. Unsere Supporter müssen Unmengen an Beschwerden aufarbeiten. Ein
    großer Teil des gesamten Unternehmens ist gezwungen, sich mit dieser
    Angelegenheit zu beschäftigen, anstatt der regulären Arbeit nachzugehen.
    Sämtlicher, zusätzlicher Aufwand wurde durch Ihren Server verursacht.

Unter Berücksichtigung der genannten Punkte müssen wir eigentlich auf
    vollständiger Wiedergutmachung des Schadens bestehen. Wir werden in diesem
    Fall jedoch ausnahmsweise davon absehen. Diese Ausnahme ist einmalig und
    kann nicht noch einmal gewährt werden.

Wir möchten betonen, dass wir solche oder ähnliche Vorfälle in Zukunft nicht
    mehr tolerieren können. Sollte einer Ihrer Server jemals wieder ein
    vergleichbares Problem verursachen, werden wir Schadenersatz fordern. Eine
    sofortige, fristlose Kündigung könnte ebenfalls letzte Konsequenz sein.

In der Zwischenzeit werden wir das Netzwerk genau beobachten und auf
    weitere Informationen von Ihnen warten. Erst wenn der Netzwerkangriff
    beendet ist und wir eine Antwort von Ihnen erhalten haben, können wir Ihren
    Server wieder entsperren.

Vielen Dank für Ihre Zusammenarbeit.

--
    Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Technischer Support / Technical support