Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best low-end database?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best low-end database?

Shane_ElmoreShane_Elmore Member
edited March 2013 in Help

I'm trying to get my hand into some PHP programming. I already have an idea for a PHP-based CMS for my site's mainpage but I don't really want to use MySQL. I haven't gotten far into researching databases yet, what does everyone think is the best (non text-file) low-end database is?

Comments

• So you dont want to use SQL or Text File? What is left?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

You should use MySQL.

Seriously - there's a huge ecosystem around PHP and MySQL. Tons more examples, docs, libraries, add-ons, plugins, code samples, books, etc. Particularly if you are trying to learn - learn MySQL.

Otherwise, SQLite3. But sqlite is not really designed for performant multiple concurrent access.

• @raindog308 said: Otherwise, SQLite3. But sqlite is not really designed for performant multiple concurrent access

This.

• RyanDRyanD Member

MySQL or one of it's derivatives all the way.

However, use an ORM or some DB Abstraction layer so that the underlying database really doesn't mater.

• @RyanD said: MySQL or one of it's derivatives all the way.

I would personally advice MariaDB over pure MySQL or Percona. I've used all three of them (still use MariaDB and Percona). MariaDB has been created by the founder of MySQL himself. MariaDB also includes the work from Percona. So basically it's the most complete solutions, while retaining full binary compatibility with MySQL (just like Percona btw). It just performs better.

• @raindog308 said: But sqlite is not really designed for performant multiple concurrent access.

Probably reads are fine?
    But the past week I discovered how much it sucks for high writes :(

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

MySQL is the best database in right hands, as can be optimised.

• For development, DB doesn't really matter. Just don't use any fancy triggers or procedures. And to prevent troubles later, ensure usage of UTF8. For production, pick any mature and stable DB.

MySQL can be tuned very low. For example when using Xeoncross debian-script, it requires about 8Mb at idle and under constant inserting from zabbix-server with bunch of clients, it's around 18Mb. Logging slow-sqls and using tuners help to get performance if needed.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Shane_Elmore said: but I don't really want to use MySQL.

Why?

@yomero said: Probably reads are fine?

But the past week I discovered how much it sucks for high writes :(

I don't think sqlite has any mechanism for concurrent writes - everything is one giant lock.

I suppose the OP could use Amazon's SimpleDB or DynamoDB. Nothing to install, and you get 1GB or 100MB or something for free.

• MariaDB has been getting a lot of media love lately.

Started monkeying with Percona, but this thread has me looking to leap directly to MariaDB. Been using MySQL since they started.

• Nice question which depends on the type of data.

• MySQL for spreadsheet type of data [skip-bdb,skip-innodb]
    • SQLite for a little amount of MySQL data
    • Redis/Memcached for key/value type of data
  • If your data doesn't really share relationships, and you are looking at storing large amounts of complex and simple data, have a look at NoSQL databases. Like http://www.mongodb.org/

• @Centaur
    MongoDB is a really easy to work with database. But it is not a low-end database. It is more a kind of RAM eating beast if you store more than a view simple values in it.

• If you are willing to make a CMS it would be better to use MySQL as

@raindog308 said: there's a huge ecosystem around PHP and MySQL. Tons more examples, docs, libraries, add-ons, plugins, code samples, books, etc. Particularly if you are trying to learn - learn MySQL.

@raindog308 already said.

Also MariaDB could be a good alternative as it support all the MySQL syntax ( not fully sure, though) and also the history of it.

• @MikeIn said: it support all the MySQL syntax

AFAIK is 100% a fork of MySQL plus their custom features, so yes.

• I always use JSON for my DB's. Perl's JSON library is awesome. It's also easy to sanatize for, seeing as how the only special characters are '{}:[]"

• othelloRobothelloRob Member, Host Rep

For really light-weight use text files and something like Storable in Perl
    But for a generic CMS you'll be making life harder for yourself by ignoring MySQL

@othelloRob said: For really light-weight use text files and something like Storable in Perl

...which will work right up until the time you need more than 1 concurrent user.