Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Ask] Cpanel License for the cheapest price - learning purpouse
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Ask] Cpanel License for the cheapest price - learning purpouse

DragonDFDragonDF Member
edited December 2011 in Offers

Hello guys!
I'd like to learn how to configurate Cpanel in a VPS (OpenVZ, Linux, 1Gb ram).

I know I can use it for 14 trial days. But I think this time will not be enough.
So, I am thinking about to know if there is another way to test it (I will not use it for real clients) to learn how to setup.

The best price I saw is around $15 for a Cpanel license.

Another doubt: when you pay for Cpanel, is there any Addon for free (like Softaculous) or I need to pay (/month) for it, too?

How can I be safe about attacks?
Do I need to configure a firewall (for prevent DDOS attacks) and what do you recomend?

Thank you!

Comments

• Hostigation has cPanel licenses for $10/month for their OpenVZ VPSs.

• But can I get it if I were not using its VPS (foreign one)?

$10 looks like a good price.

What is the cost of VPS? Maybe VPS is more expensive and for this it has a better Cpanel price.

Tks!

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2011

You can't get license cheaper than 15$ or so unless you get internal price with some host like suggested above (which means that you need to be hosted with them).
    Yes, of course there are useful free addons for Cpanel. Take a look at http://www.configserver.com/ and http://www.logview.org/
    Most people will use CSF and Mod security plugin which integrate nicely into Cpanel. CSF (ConfigServer Security & Firewall) walk nicely in hand with Cpanel cPHulk for Brute Force Protection. I suggest you to check also "Security Center >> Host Access Control" in your Cpanel.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • @DragonDF said: What is the cost of VPS? Maybe VPS is more expensive and for this it has a better Cpanel price.

$16 is the lowest you can go with a 512mb OpenVZ and cPanel, so a dollar more than just the cPanel license at Buycpanel

I offer free use of my DNSONLY cluster to offload DNS with nodes in LA and SC to make it diverse. And not too totally self-promote

BuyVM has a $12 or $13 deal worked out with a cPanel distributor so there is another low cost option.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • @DragonDF said: is there any Addon for free (like Softaculous) or I need to pay (/month) for it, too?

Sorry for the double post, but softaculous offers a free version that is very trimmed down from their paid version, but the paid version is $1.50, so it's not like breaking the bank. http://configserver.com has several free plugins for cPanel, @Spirit already mentioned CSF, there are a couple of mail related plugins and a file manager for WHM plugin as well.

• @dmmcintyre3

My mistake. I read fast and thought you were talking about HOSTGATOR.
    But in spite of Good prices, I think I was correct in a little part: the cost of VPS.
    For example: if I ask you 5$ for a 1Gb VPS and ask you 15$ = $20 total / month

if I ask you $10 and $10 = $20 (same price)

It would be good if they could sell only the license and you could use in another place.

Thank you for your post.

@Spirit
    $15 is the minimum independent price. :( What a pity!

I saw this price in Webhostingtalk

configserver and logview: I will need a bit more time to read it and here is 3h30min AM and I need to sleep (ehehe).

"Security Center >> Host Access Control" in your Cpanel - Thank you! But where can I learn about how to config it? In Cpanel User Guide?

Thank you!

@miTgiB
    $16 = 10$ to Cpanel + $6 to VPS

"a dollar more than just the cPanel license at Buycpanel"
    Yes, it was this company I saw in Webhosting ($15)

DNSONLY = sorry, I could not understand for what it is used. Is this your software that you allow the use for a specific purpose?

BuyVM - $12 could be a better price.
    Maybe I could have a VPS with Cpanel for $17 or $18.
    Do you have a link where I can find this offer?

Softaculous: $1.50. Yes, it is really cheap.

tHANK YOU!

Guys, you were very helpfull for a newbie in hosting area like me.
    Really apreciated it.

Reading your post, I got a few doubts more:

1. How many users I can have in a VPS with the followin configuration:

a) CPU: 2 Ghz
    RAM: 1 GB Dedicated
    HD: 50 GB
    BW: 2000 GB

b)CPU: 3 Ghz
    RAM: 2 GB
    HD: 100 GB
    BW: 3000 GB

I imagine that each client will use 0.5Gb (maximum) for each account.
    So, I thought in "a" VPS I could have near 100 clients.

Am I right?

I plan to start with 10 clients. Some of them are my friends.
    So, I will have the minimum amount to pay itself.

What do you suggest?

ANOTHER THING: WHM
    Do I need it for what? Is it a payment system?

thank you, again!

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2011

No, WHM (Web Host Manager) is a part of Cpanel to manage server, accounts, etc... (and don't confuse it with whmcs/billing system which has nothing to do with Cpanel directly).
    WHM is accessible to you (root/admin) and with some limitations to your resellers and it's basicly web-based interface to manage Cpanel vps completely.

www.example.com/cpanel <- individual accounts access (for clients)
    www.example.com/whm <- administration access (for you)

• earlearl Member
    edited December 2011

You can give these a try, maybe get a better idea of what it is your looking for..

http://www.cpanel.net/products/cpanelwhm/try-demo.html

http://www.whmcs.com/demo/

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • Offtopic:
    Die-hard VPS owners do everything by command line hehe ;)

On topic:
    I wouldn't know an lower price then mentioned above, sorry :(

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • @djvdorp said: Die-hard VPS owners do everything by command line hehe ;)

I wouldn't say it must be a die-hard VPS owner to use the command line. Using the CLI give you the possibility to learn how something works and understand configuration errors. You can then switch to a GUI if you like to have it more handy. But then again, I don't walk to a mechanic to refill the gas on my car.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • I'm probably going to get in trouble for this but if you have a spare box at home, I'd just find it on a torrent site and set it up at your leisure.

I wouldn't do such on a production box. At the very least, besides being unethical and illegal, the um one that um found is about a year out of date.

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • It's also risky as you can't be sure what else "modification" was done to illegal copy.

Thanked by 1japon
  • Why not email their sales/support team and ask if they give development licenses (like WHMCS does)?

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • @Spirit said: It's also risky as you can't be sure what else "modification" was done to illegal copy.

That's why it's an at home box. Stand alone. Be wiped shortly thereafter. etc.

• WOW! I have just woke up and more participations!
    Thank you all.
    I could see there is a "Thanks" button here, too. I will Thank you all!

@Spirit

" WHM (Web Host Manager) is a part of Cpanel"

@earl

"You can give these a try, maybe get a better idea of what it is your looking for..

http://www.cpanel.net/products/cpanelwhm/try-demo.html

http://www.whmcs.com/demo/"<

I visited these demo sites. But if you do not INSTALL it, you will not learn the SETUP of the server (that it is what I am trying to learn at this time). Sure to manage the Cpanel will be very important too. I installed KLOXO (only to CentOS 5._) to take a look how things happen. It was very easy to install. I imagine that Cpanel will be the same.

So, when I pay for Cpanel I already get WHM (admin purposes).

Conclusion: I will only need to "buy more" the softcaculous script (1.5) and... ?
    Do I need to pay something to use "configserver" services?

@djvdorp
    @japon
    About command-line: I don't like it too. Specially when tutorial does not work.
    I am learning/using CentOs (RedHat) because people use it like more POPULAR and every time I asked it was the best choice. (In desktop I prefer Ubuntu).
    Last time I tried to install a GUI in the CentOs I had a lot of problems. Maybe my VPS (egypt) was not working, but in fact, I have never used it with GUI.

If it is possible to use good TUTORIALS I see no problem with Command Line. Sure that GUI is much easy, but for performance purporse, I think the use of Command Line is not SO DIFFICULT, too (if you can find good tutorials).

--
    @drmike
    I though about what you described, but like the other guys typed, I have the same fear (I don't know what they adjust in code to have backdoors or other thing to make the invasion of my server easy). If you trust the font, I think you can try. But it is not the case of piratebay and other torrent sites.
    In my case, I want to EARN MONEY from my friends and from people I don't know. So, I think $10-$12 will not be so much to divide between them. The problem in my case is to pay for a time and have difficulties to install, LEARN how to setup, how to protect for a DDOS attack, etc.

--
    @Aldryic
    I think they are not so good to give you a "developer" license. I think for this you have 14 days to make tests. 14 days are your "developer days" hehehehe.
    But I will try.

I have a new DOUBT:

HOW CAN I INSTALL CENTOS WITHOUT GUI, LIKE A SERVER, IN MY HOME COMPUTER, TO MAKE TESTS? I could not see this option. Everytime it installs with GUI.
    I don't like to every time need to pay for a VPS (sure, they are not expensive) to test something. But, like I could not reproduce the same in one of my home computers, I've just paid a NEW vps.

I want to buy a 1U server to use at home to make tests like VIRTUALIZATION (what do you like more?), creation of VPS (nodes), etc. Is there a BOOK, TUTORIAL or YouTube videos where I can learn a bit more about this?

I think I will take a Linux LPI certification.

• @DragonDF said: HOW CAN I INSTALL CENTOS WITHOUT GUI, LIKE A SERVER, IN MY HOME COMPUTER, TO MAKE TESTS? I could not see this option. Everytime it installs with GUI.

http://mirror.cisp.com/CentOS/6.2/isos/i386/CentOS-6.2-i386-minimal.iso

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • @dmmcintyre3
    Thank you (button already pressed).

I'd like to say that I am liking this Forum very much. Member are very participative. Awesome!

Continuing:

ConfigServer Services

"knowledge of Linux, cPanel, Exim and MailScanner "

I had never read about Exim or MailScanner. :)

"All services are provided for RedHat or derivative Linux platforms, including RedHat, > RedHat Enterprise, Fedora, and CentOS."

cPanel Server Services - from $100/server

Our cPanel Server Service includes many essential server management applications to help you better secure and manage your server. The applications and configuration options can help you:

**> Secure your server from internet and external attack
    Keep you better informed about what your server is doing
    Create a more stable environment
    Make better use of your available server resources
    Choose what elements of the Package you want
    We provide help advice on any aspects of your server management

IN this link you can see everything they do like a configuration.
    So, at least I could see WHAT I NEED to do to have my VPS security. :)

http://www.configserver.com/cp/cpanel.html

I could see they have a forum and there are a lot of topics about "exploit scanner", "mail queues, modsecurity control", etc.
    http://forum.configserver.com/

I could not understand, yet, why to use it. Is there any free ADDONs to security purposes?
    For example: you can choose, or you pay them to config, or you can do by yourself. The difference will be: you will need time to learn how to setup everything.

I ask you this becasue pay $100 to config a DEDI is one thing, but to config a VPS... \o/

• LogView - cPanel file system log viewer

If I am not wrong, it is for you have control over your directories to see if you had unwanted access.
    Is it for this?

• I presume the setup of cpanel is really easy compared with free software like kloxo because that's what you pay for at the end of the day.

Cpanel should secure all its directories and ports automatically when its installed or guide you through it with a wizard.

I've never installed cpanel before because its too expensive for someone like me who only wants a minimal webserver setup. But if you want any help then send me a PM and ill help you as much as possible.

• The install is incredibly simple, just 3 commands in CentOS and about an hour's wait while it does the rest.

• I am afraid about AFTER Cpanel install.
    What else do I need to do or setup?

I think Cpanel does not have a FIREWALL inside it, right?

I will get Softaculous, but just in the 3rd month. I think the first and second month will be to learn. It is not expensive, so I can take it easy.

The other doubt will be: what can I get from CONFIGSERVER ?

And: E-MAIL DATA.
    I am really afraid to not be possible to migrate email data from OLD server to my new one from my clients. This can be a problem and a BIG MOTIVATION for them do not migrate.
    Do you know if Cpanel can import email data from any kind of system?

Thank you!

• @DragonDF for moving mailboxes you might want to check out: http://freecode.com/projects/imapsync

Thanked by 1DragonDF
  • To write you what I thought.. I believe Cpanel could import everything. Exactly for this it is leader. But I think I am wrong.
    Thank you, qenox!

• @DragonDF no problem :)

• I asked Cpanel support about "Developer License" and about security, if Cpanel is security by itself.

They answer: there is no "free" or "low cost" version. Only 15 days free for tests.

About security:
    They suggest: http://configserver.com/cp/csf.html
    But wrote they do not anything and do not support or guarantee quality of the product.
    And recommend to contact an experience server administrator.

• Do you know a new option to get Cpanel for a better price than $15 ?

Or VPS + Cpanel for about $15-17 with 1Gb ram ?

And...
    How much more will I need to pay for an **ADMIN **MANAGE the VPS and Install that security (free) firewall options?
    Is there any Linux Admin here?

I am very afraid about E-MAIL not arrive in INBOX in some ISP. (I am not talking about SPAM, but about your IP is new, etc.).

Thank you, guys!