Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using CloudLinux (or) Cgroup to limit and (?secure) few websites
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Using CloudLinux (or) Cgroup to limit and (?secure) few websites

What would be the most cost effective solution to run few resource hungry wordpress (meh) sites,

Trying to fix something for a friend. He's running few blog sites for adsense and when one goes down, others follow as well.

I'm thinking about either using CloudLinux or Cgroup manually. Using cgroup manually will be a head ache to me since I'm doing this for free and he got no clue about Linux.

Is there any other cost effective solution for CloudLinux. I've searched but so far only found dead projects such as better linux.

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

CloudLinux is the easiest way to do it.

I would optimise the WP installation along with the whole server, though, before ordering CloudLinux.

• I would guess CloudLinux is just an API and a WHM plugin for cgroups. If you use cPanel, it will make your life a lot easier. If you don't then I guess it's up to you if you want to read up on cgroups and write some scripts or pay someone $14/month :)

You could also use OpenVZ (the latest version is based on cgroups, incidentally) or LXC (which has always been a wrapper and utils for cgroups).

• Maybe also Docker might capable do this.

• MrGeneral said: CloudLinux is the easiest way to do it.

I would optimise the WP installation along with the whole server, though, before ordering CloudLinux.

PM ;)

jh said: You could also use OpenVZ (the latest version is based on cgroups, incidentally) or LXC (which has always been a wrapper and utils for cgroups).

I also thought about LXC but I'd have to write some interface and that's too much work. And he's not willing to spend much for anything such as cpanel.

tux said: Maybe also Docker might capable do this.

Ah yes. Running a docker behind a reverse proxy could solve the problem. Will try to write something simple.

• sdglhm said: I also thought about LXC but I'd have to write some interface and that's too much work.

There is already an interface for LXC - https://lxc-webpanel.github.io/

• jesin said: There is already an interface for LXC - https://lxc-webpanel.github.io/

Awesome. Thanks for the link. However, I'd still need to write something to par with the reverse proxy.

Thinking about installing him some free panel and giving it away.

• sdglhm said: Thinking about installing him some free panel and giving it away.

Have you considered serverpilot's free plan? It is quick to setup and is minimal.