Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS for hosting a bitcoin node on a budget
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS for hosting a bitcoin node on a budget

Plenty of cheap VPS'es, but few have enough disk space.

My requirements are as follows:

• 512mb ram
  • ~150GB Disk space (hdd is adequate, cached is nice and ssd would be godsent)
  • Good uptime (it is a bitcoin node after all)
  • Not located in the US (Netherlands)
  • ~5 eur

Surely this is not too much to ask, right?

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

150GB SSD or SSD cached for 5 EUR p/month is stretching it a bit yeah.

Would you not be better off spending a bit more and getting a small dedicated server, its a bitcoin node after all :)

• orakorak Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    150GB SSD or SSD cached for 5 EUR p/month is stretching it a bit yeah.

Would you not be better off spending a bit more and getting a small dedicated server, its a bitcoin node after all :)

I'm not expecting any sensible person to offer me a vps with an (cached) ssd. A dedicated node for my purpose seems overkill; however I'm open to suggestions (even if that means the price goes up)

• orakorak Member

Just found out RamNode offers exactly what I'm looking for for $5/month; and it's SSD cached. Liked their service too, but I'm still on the lookout for other providers.

• orakorak Member

Just found out RamNode offers exactly what I'm looking for for $5/month; and it's SSD cached. Liked their service too, but I'm still on the lookout for other providers.

Oh, nice one, sorry for no good reason I assumed you wanted KVM, if OpenVZ is ok then you probably wont find a better offer, Ramnode were voted a top 3 provider here for a long time

• Not sure you want to be mining on OpenVZ. You'll be a pain in your host's stomach very quickly.

I don't think he plans to mine with it, mining for bitcoin on a VPS/CPU these days is like trying to put out a forest fire by flapping a wet t-shirt around.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@daily said:
    Not sure you want to be mining on OpenVZ. You'll be a pain in your host's stomach very quickly.

I think he just wants to host a full node and he won't be mining there.

Take a look at our KVM HDD plan - wishosting.com

Thanked by 1daily
  • Ah, duh.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2016

You can now use the --prune option in the BTC client and not require that much disk space (can be as low as 2GB now). Not sure though, but you may be required to not do that to be considered a "full" node.