Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESXI to SolusVM migration
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ESXI to SolusVM migration

Is it possible to migrate away a VM from ESXI easily to SolusVM since changing the hypervisor from Hyper-V I've noticed ESXI at least on my host node logs out the management within a few minutes of leaving it idle even if it's set to do it after 2 hours which can be annoying if I want to tweak vm settings.

I'd rather not have to rebuild a VM but if in theory it would be an option to move might have to be something I wanted to look into. Anyone had any experience with this?

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2016

Yeah it is simple, just convert the vmdk in to raw then dd that in to your lvm, assuming your going to be using KVM.

You can use qemu-img

I would however question the need, it seems far more sensible to me to just troubleshoot the issue rather than going to these extremes to work around it.

If it is Linux and you can have both KVM and ESX running at the same time (2 servers) you could just pack and unpack the file system, with windows server you could always just do a bare metal recovery backup, and restore it on to the KVM guest.

• Yeah true thanks it was more of a if I decided too as I want to look into solus as a platform as a whole. It would be KVM since it would mostly run windows vms. It just seems ESXI 6 appears to be buggy but thanks for the insight though.

Ah ok, that makes it very simple then, install proxmox, forget solusvm, qemu-kvm has native support for vmdk's which is also built in to the proxmox web ui.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • AnthonySmith said: forget solusvm

This =)

Why would you want to move to SolusVM =S

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Ah ok, that makes it very simple then, install proxmox, forget solusvm, qemu-kvm has native support for vmdk's which is also built in to the proxmox web ui.

Or OpenNebula - frankly super easy to get running :)

• Proxmox seems to have a weird subscription model and in the long run solus would work out less, I don't know the limitations of not having the subscription. I'm open to ideas though just not virtualizor ;)

• @DrFallen said:
    Proxmox seems to have a weird subscription model and in the long run solus would work out less, I don't know the limitations of not having the subscription. I'm open to ideas though just not virtualizor ;)

The subscription model is for support, there's no other limitations AFAIK.

Proxmox is free, you only pay if you want commerciel support.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Proxmox is free, you only pay if you want commerciel support.

Good to know

• I've used Proxmox over 5 years. It's solid. There are hosting companies who use it.