Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server for converting media
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server for converting media

Hello!

I'm looking for a dedicated server that I will be using for converting media files. The disk does not need to be huge as I'll be moving the files after the converting has taken place - I guess just CPU and memory?

Location does not matter to me, although I'd prefer Europe (but US is OK) - max budget is £20-30 p/m.

Thanks!

Comments

• Spin an instance in some cloud, upload a file, convert it, download the file, destroy the instance?

Could be a lot cheaper if you do not plan to convert files 24/7

• how much memory do you think you'll need? would you consider a KVM vps with dedicated cores?

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

@rds100 said:
    Spin an instance in some cloud, upload a file, convert it, download the file, destroy the instance?

Could be a lot cheaper if you do not plan to convert files 24/7

Do most VPS providers allow converting media, as last I checked it hammers the CPU quite a bit?

@Falzo said:
    how much memory do you think you'll need? would you consider a KVM vps with dedicated cores?

I'm unsure to be honest.. never worked it out, it would only be a few conversions per day maximum. I would consider it though once I get a better idea on memory usage maybe..

• iKeyZ said: Do most VPS providers allow converting media, as last I checked it hammers the CPU quite a bit?

For instance Amazon has "compute optimized instances" where they don't mind you hammering the CPU as much as you want, in fact it is meant to be hammered. I think DO also doesn't make fuss about using your CPU (but might move you to a node with more CPU competitors)

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran
    edited August 2016

@rds100 said:

iKeyZ said: Do most VPS providers allow converting media, as last I checked it hammers the CPU quite a bit?

For instance Amazon has "compute optimized instances" where they don't mind you hammering the CPU as much as you want, in fact it is meant to be hammered. I think DO also doesn't make fuss about using your CPU (but might move you to a node with more CPU competitors)

Thanks, didn't really think about this - would something like this be acceptable ( @jarland ?)

Never really looked at Amazon as an option, any idea on what cost it would be, I guess it's priced per hour?

• Yes, Amazon is priced per hour, isn't that the main definition of "cloud" - hourly billing.
    But there are also bandwidth prices, those might be a killer. You have to make the calculations to avoid surprises.

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

@rds100 said:
    Yes, Amazon is priced per hour, isn't that the main definition of "cloud" - hourly billing.
    But there are also bandwidth prices, those might be a killer. You have to make the calculations to avoid surprises.

True..

I'll have a little look into it this afternoon, thanks for the suggestion!

• Ikoulas new E3v5 offer?

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • telephonetelephone Member
    edited August 2016

iKeyZ said: I guess just CPU and memory?

It depends how quickly you're looking to encode, and which format (x264, x265, VP9, etc). In the past when I didn't care about time taken I just used a DO instance or two.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Scaleway?

• @pbgben said:
    Scaleway?

The scaleway cpus aren't all that great.
    If op looks for something hourly maybe Leaseweb or others that offer hourly bare metal machines are worth a look.

And there's always AWS or DO.

For monthly I'd say look for a Hetzner box with a fairly capable i7 (3770 or better). That'll probably work pretty decently and should be within your budget.

• you need to take RDP Server PM me your skype if need to take RDP