Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can copyright / DMCA take down notice apply to password protected websites?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can copyright / DMCA take down notice apply to password protected websites?

Let's say I have a website full of copyrighted contents, download links, etc.

I put a password protection on everything, so each visitor will somehow get an 8 digit password from myself or others to access the contents.

Now, if somehow the copyright holders know about my site, and start guessing the password out until succeed, can they send me / the service provider an abuse notice that I'm infringing copyright?

And what if they find someone who knows the password, and ask for it to access the website?

Thanked by 1Laxenade

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Could it legally apply? Sure. Could they find the content to justify sending the DMCA? Maybe, but it would be difficult for them.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited August 2016

Yes. If they can see the content they can issue a DMCA. To take it further though they need to prove it's there.

• dailydaily Member
    edited August 2016

You're basically asking about something that already exists. Private Torrent trackers.

Making it invite only by actual email invites or a password to enter makes it much less likely that you'll be targeted for two reasons:

1.) Due to the nature of it, you'll have less people accessing your content, which makes you less of a target compared to more public sites that have a higher user rate.

2.) A password or invite allows tight control over who enters your site.

That being said, yeah. If they were somehow able to get to your content, yes. It happens a lot actually.

• Yes cause they even send dmca to twitter users who post screenshots from anime

• Will they break any laws if they guess out the password before issuing copyright request?

I heard some stories that you can't "break" into a system to get a valid evidence, is that true?

Thanked by 1Laxenade
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@msg7086 said:
    Will they break any laws if they guess out the password before issuing copyright request?

I heard some stories that you can't "break" into a system to get a valid evidence, is that true?

Well I imagine they would try and gain access through social engineering first as that will give them legitimate access. The bigger you are the more recourses they will use trying to take you down. Just a small private site for your friends? They probably won't even find out.

• why can't they just request password? pretty obviously they won't have dmca take down written all over

• @century1stop said:
    why can't they just request password? pretty obviously they won't have dmca take down written all over

Can they? Who would they request password from? Myself or ...?

Also for providers, will they obey the dmca notice and close down a site that only shows, "Password: [ ]" ?

• They can't read htaccess, so, go for it.
    But you would need to monitor the people that join in.

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited August 2016

if it's worth their while, they can infiltrate into your groupie (not as easy for small private groups) and obtain evidence unless if you're just referring to automated dmca notices

• Just put this content on torrnets they cannot do anything

• Grab a random vps for reverse proxy which providers don't give a sh*t about DMCA notice?

• @thatix said:
    Grab a random vps for reverse proxy which providers don't give a sh*t about DMCA notice?

Just got suspended by OVH and I doubt if there're any other choices available?

• @msg7086 said:
    Just got suspended by OVH and I doubt if there're any other choices available?

OVH does response to these DMCA notices.
    You may want to try @cociu 's VPS?

• nobody mentioned @cociu I am sure he could help.

• @thatix said:

@Ympker said:

@stasi said:

However I saw this:

mysak

>

You clearly said that you are no DMCA then why you suspend my server on first abuse of DMCA .. i asked you before buy the server that i dont want you to suspend my server on any DMCA abuse

Thanked by 1twiigl
  • ManofServerManofServer Member
    edited August 2016

@msg7086 said:

@thatix said:

@Ympker said:

@stasi said:

However I saw this:

mysak

>

You clearly said that you are no DMCA then why you suspend my server on first abuse of DMCA .. i asked you before buy the server that i dont want you to suspend my server on any DMCA abuse

You got suspended on hostsolutions.ro, or somewhere else?

• @ManofServer said:

You got suspended on hostsolutions.ro, or somewhere else?

That quote was from cociu's profile page.