Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for suggestions on the forum - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for suggestions on the forum

Comments

• 96mb96mb Member

@dmmcintyre3 said: I have no issues with FreeVPS.us (which runs MyBB) on a 96mb ovz from ddosprotect.us

Thanks, I know I could use a bit smaller VPS (right now the memory is sitting about 32MB but of course it does not have that many members), may be I will push it down a little if I can find a good provider.

@natestamm said: Flip between the two, we're at least ten pixels less in width on each side here.

Do you prefer it to be fixed width?

@natestamm said: I think what would be cool is a jQuery scroll of recent comments in the footer of the page.

I've seen something like this before, let me try to find something like that.

@bnmkl said: Good luck @96mb with your forum.

Thanks!

• Seems to be down again :/
    "DNS Points to Prohibited IP

You've requested a page on a website (www.96forum.com) that is on..."

• 96mb96mb Member

@tmn29a said: Seems to be down again :/

"DNS Points to Prohibited IP
    You've requested a page on a website (www.96forum.com) that is on..."

Working on this, the VPS provider I am hosting the site with (Quickweb) seems to have the main site up but their SolusVM is down as well. I am putting up a backup site ASAP, sorry about that.

• DNS Points to Prohibited IP
    You've requested a page on a website (www.96forum.com) that is on the CloudFlare network. Unfortunately, it is resolving to an IP address that is creating a conflict within CloudFlare's system. If you are the owner of this website, you should login to CloudFlare and change the DNS A records for www.96forum.com to resolve to a different IP address.

• Paging Dr. @AnthonySmith http://www.lowendspirit.com/ is down right now too...

Was trying to read about that crazy 3 euro per year VPS offer teased about on the lowendpress site.

• 96mb96mb Member
    edited March 2013

@pubcrawler said: DNS Points to Prohibited IP

You've requested a page on a website (www.96forum.com) that is on the CloudFlare network. Unfortunately, it is resolving to an IP address that is creating a conflict within CloudFlare's system. If you are the owner of this website, you should login to CloudFlare and change the DNS A records for www.96forum.com to resolve to a different IP address.

Seems to be OK for now, not sure why that happened, may be I am not smart but at least I won't be pointing 127.0.0.1 to CF (and I was sleeping when all these happened anyways).

I'll check my logs before drawing any conclusions, and thanks everyone for the heads-up.

• 127.0.0.1 There is no place like home.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Thanks http://forum.lowendspirit.com/ is up must have broke the reverse proxy I guess

• All good. @96mb and @AnthonySmith, get those sites under monitoring ASAP.

oh it is not down

I just dont have an entry for www.

http://lowendspirit.com is up

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited March 2013

Correct @AnthonySmith. Add a www A rec....

Or do what I usually do, create a wildcard entry to handle anything thrown at it :)

yeah I forget people still use www these days, the 90's want their A record back :)

• ^ agreed. I have fun with wildcard DNS handling though.

Sometimes just throw fckingshit.domain.com at things or whatever when debugging :)

Then sometimes hand out nutty URLs to random people. For tracking. Did they redeem their URL goody?

fixed.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Wildcard did mess it up for me once when I changed vps providers and updated all A records except the wildcard.

Took awhile figuring out why my test site didn't work :)

• 96mb96mb Member

Things done today:

Moved the forum to a DDOS protected VPS (128MB RAM, 10GB HDD) hosted by SecureDragon

Moved DNS from Cloudflare to Rage4 (thanks @gbshouse)!

Added Munin graph so that @pubcrawler could be sure he is browsing a forum on a low end VPS :)

https://hostedmunin.com/munin/198.57.47.71/

• Had a fight with that Peice of shit Image Verification, lost it, walked away. Implement easier Human verification! :(

• 96mb96mb Member

@eastonch said: Had a fight with that Peice of shit Image Verification, lost it, walked away. Implement easier Human verification! :(

Thanks for the feedback, I just changed to ACSCII art image verification, do you think you might be able to give it another try?

• I dislike CAPTCHAs. Bots are getting so good these days that they're getting BETTER THAN HUMANS at those darn things.

• @Magiobiwan said: I dislike CAPTCHAs. Bots are getting so good these days that they're getting BETTER THAN HUMANS at those darn things.

If I can't get it right in two tries, I usually just say "F" it and turn around.

Some CAPTCHA images are just insane.

• It seems I've managed to bork a firewall somewhere on my home network that's preventing it from completing. My school's network is the same way. I have to VPN to do a CAPTCHA any time I come across one.

• Your captcha seems to be broken. I tried registering like 10 times, each time the captcha code was incorrect. And I can't be THAT blind :)

• 96mb96mb Member

@rds100 said: Your captcha seems to be broken. I tried registering like 10 times, each time the captcha code was incorrect. And I can't be THAT blind :)

And I was wondering why there is no new member yesterday :)

Sorry about that, I have removed all the Captcha and all those completely (for now), I am approving members manually anyways and if I see spam activities is growing I'll think of something else (may be some security questions)?

Mind give it a try now? Sorry for the inconvenience.

• Yep, just registered, seems to be OK.

• 96mb96mb Member

@rds100 said: Yep, just registered, seems to be OK.

And approved...of course :) Enjoy!

• bnmklbnmkl Member

What is the current size of the FreeVPS.us database @dmmcintyre3 ? ... If it is acceptable to ask of course.

• @bnmkl said: What is the current size of the FreeVPS.us database @dmmcintyre3 ? ... If it is acceptable to ask of course.

76.03 MB

• bnmklbnmkl Member

Thanks @dmmcintyre3. Nice.

• 96mb96mb Member

@dmmcintyre3 said: 76.03 MB

That's a lot for a forum! And indeed running with SecureDragon (DDOSProtect.us) VPS is pretty good so far, good job @kujoe

• 96mb96mb Member
    edited April 2013

Just to let everyone know if anyone is interested in writing some tutorials/reviews on the forum, there is competition open right now:

http://96forum.com/Thread-First-96MB-Forum-Competition-Best-Tutorial-Review

As usual, any suggestions/feedback is welcomed.