Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows Server 2016 RTM sent to OEM producers. What says LET hosts to the new OS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows Server 2016 RTM sent to OEM producers. What says LET hosts to the new OS?

myhkenmyhken Member
edited August 2016 in General

Windows 2016 RTM i released to OEM producers and will be released to the public in about a month from today.
How fast will the hosting marked get Windows Server 2016 in their offerings? Whats the normal time from a server release too we see it in production?

Any host waiting for the 2016 version?

Here are som pictures from my RTM test today, not a test actually, just a look.

Comments

• emgemg Veteran
    edited August 2016

Looks like Windows 10 to me. :-p

I doubt that many people are chomping at the bit to deploy Windows Server 2016 immediately. Many are working hard to retire their Windows Server 2003 systems.

• Yes it's very similar to Windows 10, beside no store and no apps. Will test out my normal software in the time to come, to see if it works well, and then maybe 2016 will be a replacement for Win10 if you want a version without the store/app bs.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

emg said: Many are working hard to retire their Windows Server 2003 systems.

That is sadly very true, although I question the working hard part :)

Thanked by 2emg netomx
  • @emg @AnthonySmith do host really still sell servers/VPS/shared based or with Windows Server 2003? I have used 2008, then 2012, then 2012 R2 for so many years that I don't remember when I used a 2003 installation.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2016

I stopped allowing it about 6 months before EOL, no dobt there are many SOHO's running it on Pentium 4 based servers while running their backups on the same 15 year old DDS4 drive/tape.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • That was a good decision.

• Looks like Windows 10 minus Store.

I think I'm going to stay with Server 2012 R2 for now unless there's a major advantage to Server 2016.

• @Rodney said:
    I think I'm going to stay with Server 2012 R2 for now unless there's a major advantage to Server 2016.

Can't find anything yet. Maybe it load little faster. And of course, thing is newer.
    But I'm also happy with 2012 R2, so no rush to update. But when it's on MSDN, I'm sure I will deploy some live testing servers out there. Now I just run it on a VM.

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

New Window OS have driver issues with latest Intel network cards. Probably will have to wait till drivers are out for supermicro servers.

• tnx for the info. That's a "little" important to fix.

• Does it also spy as well as the 10?

Thanked by 1tux
  • I think not, and if it does, you should be able to turn all off in Server 2016. And spying is a strong word, they are not NSA, and don't care if you look at some cat pictures, nude or not nude ;)

Thanked by 1ManofServer
  • emg said: I doubt that many people are chomping at the bit to deploy Windows Server 2016 immediately.

myhken said: Can't find anything yet.

I can't wait for companies to upgrade - Docker under the Windows kernel is huge!

• ReFS is better, deduplication in storage spaces is faster and takes advantage of NVMe and PCIe SSDs better (anything above 1GB/s), 100GE drivers and interfacing, IB performance higher, better PCIe 3.0 support as well as TB3....

Obviously not the things LET people care about, because that's the enterprise features you don't get in the Web edition or don't run for lack of HW :)

Thanked by 2myhken netomx
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

I will have the ISO listed as an option when its public, but the new pricing model is crazy.

• @pbgben said:
    I will have the ISO listed as an option when its public, but the new pricing model is crazy.

Can you say little about the prices? I get it for free from BizSpark so I can use it in production.

• myhken said: Can you say little about the prices? I get it for free from BizSpark so I can use it in production.

As usual: Up, up, up and push subscription services per VM over the datacenter editions with unlimited VMs (which are licensed by CPU). Actual pricing in $ depends on region, price and usage - yea M$ has some standard forms but realistically you're going to get a custom deal so they have you as "customer".

• MS are little greedy when it come to MS server. I think the prices is fair for personal use, people must learn that software is one of the expensive with a computer, but when it comes to server and companies they really takes to much. Of course, maybe this is the reason why it "cheap" for normal users.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@William said:

myhken said: Can you say little about the prices? I get it for free from BizSpark so I can use it in production.

As usual: Up, up, up and push subscription services per VM over the datacenter editions with unlimited VMs (which are licensed by CPU). Actual pricing in $ depends on region, price and usage - yea M$ has some standard forms but realistically you're going to get a custom deal so they have you as "customer".

Its not per cpu, its per core. And brought by the 8.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Thats new yes. Always been per CPU. So now they charge per core... :(

• emgemg Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:

emg said: Many are working hard to retire their Windows Server 2003 systems.

That is sadly very true, although I question the working hard part :)

Your statement is truer.

Still, I know first hand that some owners are desperate to get off Windows Server 2003, but they don't know where to start or they can't afford the upgrade (not just hardware and software, but hired skills, too). Their servers were set up long ago, and the systems administrators with the technical knowledge are long gone. Their non-technical owners know barely enough to keep things going, but not how to migrate to a new system. It is a ticking time bomb.

@myhken said:
    @emg @AnthonySmith do host really still sell servers/VPS/shared based or with Windows Server 2003? I have used 2008, then 2012, then 2012 R2 for so many years that I don't remember when I used a 2003 installation.

Actually I was referring more to the many businesses and governments that are still running Windows Server 2003 servers. I doubt there are many (if any) hosting providers still using Windows Server 2003, at least in modern countries. I doubt that anybody would buy new equipment and install Windows Server 2003 for anything other than software compatibility testing or some type of legacy software, and even that is quite a stretch.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • emgemg Veteran

@myhken said:
    I think not, and if it does, you should be able to turn all off in Server 2016. And spying is a strong word, they are not NSA, and don't care if you look at some cat pictures, nude or not nude ;)

Are you referring to the cats or the people viewing them?

• @emg said:
    Are you referring to the cats or the people viewing them?

lol, the "cats".

• pbgben said: Its not per cpu, its per core. And brought by the 8.

Nice.

I can get a bunch of X5698 (4.4Ghz dual core), you want them? lol

• @William said:

pbgben said: Its not per cpu, its per core. And brought by the 8.

Nice.

I can get a bunch of X5698 (4.4Ghz dual core), you want them? lol

How many small loans of a million dollars am I going to need?

• OpticalSwoosh said: How many small loans of a million dollars am I going to need?

Not too much, they are rare (and not even Intel listed) bot not that rare. Few 100$ each, if even.

Mostly a joke anyway, their performance is slow as they are literally designed (or "budgeted" as it is a 6 core X5690 DIE with 2 cores set to ~75W TDP each) for stock market trading applications that can take advantage of the very, very, very small execution delay the higher clock reduces.

In fact, they don't even boot in most servers, including the Mac Pro. HP G7 HW eats them.