Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ovh failover ip
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ovh failover ip

I have a couple of cloud servers on ovh using a failover IP and am wondering is there's an easy way to attach the IP to another server when it goes down. I know you can do a lot with their api but I'm not that familiar with it.

I couldn't really find much pointers using google so if there's anybody who could point me in the right direction that would be awesome:). Monitoring is all taken care of so I'd just need a little something to make the change happen. Any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Failover is different .
    What you want to achieve here is :
    Backends :

and a floating IP : 1.1.1.5

the floating IP connects to 1.1.1.1 if all others are down and so forth. Or use any1 which has least connection .

you can do this nginx or OVH's load balancer.
    Load Balancer is more advanced and more like Floating IP.

• Cheers. To clarify: So let's say I use 2 servers:
    1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2

I also have a third (as they call it ) failover IP 3.3.3.3. Through the panel I can attach and detach the 3rd IP to either server 1 or 2. I will only connect to IP 3.3.3.3 but it should get attached to server 1.1.1.1 if 2.2.2.2 is down and vice versa.

The nginx setup is no problem but I'd rather use their api if it can be done.

• @Saragoldfarb said:
    Cheers. To clarify: So let's say I use 2 servers:
    1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2

I also have a third (as they call it ) failover IP 3.3.3.3. Through the panel I can attach and detach the 3rd IP to either server 1 or 2. I will only connect to IP 3.3.3.3 but it should get attached to server 1.1.1.1 if 2.2.2.2 is down and vice versa.

The nginx setup is no problem but I'd rather use their api if it can be done.

That would be making it complicated and MAC address would change so you would need to change eth0 or whatever Ethernet settings you use . And if your automation goes wrong everything gets down. Not worth the buck. Not worth the time. We are 2016 , use the technologies we have to minimize the problem not make it more complicated :)

• @Caster said:
    That would be making it complicated and MAC address would change so you would need to change eth0 or whatever Ethernet settings you use . And if your automation goes wrong everything gets down. Not worth the buck. Not worth the time.

Thanks for the input. Looks like it could possibly create one big clusterfuck.

We are 2016 , use the technologies we have to minimize the problem not make it more complicated :)

Lol, yeah you're right about that :) Sound advice! I'll stick with my current setup for the time being and experiment a bit more once I have time to waste. It's not always about the best solution though. Sometimes it's just about solving a puzzle. The end result might be that it just isn't gonna work at all but these are the thing you learn from the most.