Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Unusual activity" on Google
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

"Unusual activity" on Google

DStroutDStrout Member
edited March 2013 in General

Anyone ever see this before?

Comments

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I got that the one time I used a DataShack server to try and google something.

• I'm going through GoGoClient with IPv6. Wonder if that could be it.

• @DStrout said: I'm going through GoGoClient with IPv6. Wonder if that could be it.

That's it. I've had it happen with that. Usually happens if I try to use proxies with Google.

• Strange. I've been using it for a while without this happening.

• Pretty common

• Happens to me with a VPN enabled.

• Yep.

When?

Searching for 4096 **** **** **** (exact query)

• Very common.

I find it hysterical though. Google DDoS' plenty of sites all the time with their idiot spider.

Skies forbid someone run an automated script against Google's set of pre-computed massively scaled data. Google cries foul, suspicious activity.

I can't wait until Google finds some common decency and modesty.

• A CC number?

• @pubcrawler said: Google DDoS' plenty of sites all the time with their idiot spider.

I think you are exaggerating the things lol

• @yomero Maybe not with the crawler, I've never had any such trouble, but think about it - they could take down almost any site in the world, just by setting the A record on google.com to the IP of that site's server for 1 minute. A bunch of people would be weirded out seeing some random site, but the server would almost instantly be crushed under the load.

• @DStrout said: just by setting the A record on google.com to the IP of that site's server for 1 minute

Which will not happen

• Yes, but it's interesting to think how much power Google has in that regard.

• I think you are exaggerating the things lol

No not exaggerating. I have Google routinely making dozens of requests per second against dynamic content. It's reached up into the 100+ requests a second --- sustained for hours.

We usually just start the blocking of their spider to stem the tide.

Have days where Googlebot does 200k+ page requests. All dynamic content. Plus the spider likes to request pages that haven't existed in months to years even though clearly instructing the spider the content is gone forever.

• KrisKris Member

Usually happens with excessive use of site: , title: , inurl: tags.

From the activity, Google thinks you're a possibly open proxy, being used to crawl / collect URLs for spamming, etc.

Haven't ever seen it from normal browsing or on the first go, I'd only expect that from really dirty IP blocks / ranges.

• KrisKris Member

@pubcrawler said: No not exaggerating. I have Google routinely making dozens of requests per second against dynamic content. It's reached up into the 100+ requests a second --- sustained for hours.

Probably already have, but have you tried registering the site with Google Webmaster tools / verifying it, then going into settings and dropping your site crawl speed?

They have per second rates and such you can set and lower if their crawlers are hitting your server hard.

• @Kris said: Usually happens with excessive use of site

This.

• @DStrout by the way anyone working in a development agency might see this quite frequently.

• @DStrout said: any site in the world

Maybe even Facebook. I doubt even they could handle a 150% increase in traffic at prime time.

• Yeppers @Kris, I've spent way too much time in Webmaster tools. It doesn't work and hasn't worked in our main instance.

The slowing the crawl works to get them to basically just go away.

Frankly, I wish they'd offer better controls. Like scheduling. I don't want Googlebot bothering the site during main operation times. Afterhours, fine.

Caps on total daily limits would be nice.

I mean Googlebot has been so bad we've had to add several additional backend servers just to deal with spider traffic. About one gray hair shy of just banning Googlebot for a while and targetting traffic other ways. Yeah, sounds insane, but been up and down the Mountain View road with the Googlebot issues for a number of years.

Total aholes at the helm at Google. Zero customer service.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am using my accounts from tons of locations and I get a lot of verification, not vizual captchas, though.
    Many people that use Tor complained to me they are asked to prove they are human, also.

• At my school. My school's transparent was hacked and used to send SPAM mails. Both Google and CloudFlare block me unless I unlock the CAPTCHA.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Kris said: Probably already have, but have you tried registering the site with Google Webmaster tools / verifying it, then going into settings and dropping your site crawl speed?

They have per second rates and such you can set and lower if their crawlers are hitting your server hard.

I find it worrying that a company can force you to give your information to them, in order to have them not destroy your webserver... and do it legally.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@joepie91 said: I find it worrying that a company can force you to give your information to them, in order to have them not destroy your webserver... and do it legally.

LOL, i wasnt thinking of this aspect... This is how pervasive these things are, if I missed it, it can happen to anyone.