Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts on Ghost? Security, Performance, Memory?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Thoughts on Ghost? Security, Performance, Memory?

JustAMacUserJustAMacUser Member
edited August 2016 in General

I've been using Pelican for my personal blog. I like the performance of a static site but I've found the workflow somewhat annoying--even though I've automated much of it with Git and cron jobs. Simple things like searching for content in old posts, fixing typos I noticed after publishing, etc. just take longer than they should.

I have a ton of experience with WordPress but for several reasons I want to stay away from it. I've been experimenting with Ghost in my development environment and I'm just curious what other people's thoughts are. I couldn't find a whole lot with respect to security and vulnerabilities so I'm interested in hearing other's points of view. I'd also like to know how it scales as posts and visitors increase. My limited testing showed that it used a fair bit of memory out of the box (about 80 MB or so, which seems high for loading virtually no content).

What are your experiences?

Comments

• Try postleaf. It's very nice.

• I attempted to use Ghost for a project but found it confusing to edit a site's fine details to what I wanted.

• LeeLee Veteran

daily said: I attempted to use Ghost for a project but found it confusing to edit a site's fine details to what I wanted.

That's surprising, I find it one of the easiest to edit, their docs are really well written and it's got a lot of templating features.

• GCatGCat Member

I tried it and wasn't a very big fan, and static site generators got annoying, so I wrote my own static site system using Angular, NodeJS

• LeeLee Veteran

I have been using Hugo on a site for the last few months, once you get used to it it's actually very fast and the workflow is reasonable.

• @daily said:
    I attempted to use Ghost for a project but found it confusing to edit a site's fine details to what I wanted.

Interesting. I found it to be one of the easier installs I've done lately. Though I didn't get into a whole lot of configuring beyond using the default theme to create test posts, etc.

@doughnet said:
    Try postleaf. It's very nice.

It looks nice, I'll have to investigate more as I've never heard of it till now. And it uses handlebar for templating, which I just discovered while playing with Ghost and so far like.

@GCat said:
    I tried it and wasn't a very big fan

Would you share why?

Thanks everyone for your responses; keep them coming.

• LeeLee Veteran

Maybe @joepie91 would be able to give a view as he is well versed with Node.js although no idea whether he has used or looked into Ghost specifically.

• GCatGCat Member

JustAMacUser said: Would you share why?

Too resource intensive for my needs

• @GCat said:
    I tried it and wasn't a very big fan, and static site generators got annoying, so I wrote my own static site system using Angular, NodeJS

Do you have this on GitHub? I'm interested.

• GCatGCat Member

@daily said:

@GCat said:

Send me a PM, I'll send you a link.

• @GCat said:

@daily said:

@GCat said:

Why not share it with all of us? Interested as well ;)

• GCatGCat Member

@cassa said:

@GCat said:

@daily said:

@GCat said:

Why not share it with all of us? Interested as well ;)

You can PM me also, I wrote it for a customer originally hence why I'm not going to share it public without customers permission, our agreement states I can show it privately, not public.

Thanked by 1cassa
  • @op for searching use algolia. If you prefer all in one with feature to export to html, live preview, searchable content, use gitbook

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Lee said:
    Maybe @joepie91 would be able to give a view as he is well versed with Node.js although no idea whether he has used or looked into Ghost specifically.

I'm not familiar with Ghost, unfortunately. I pretty much only develop custom software nowadays :)

(As an aside: please stop building websites with Angular. Angular and other SPA frameworks are for apps, not sites. Trying to use it for sites causes all sorts of problems, and frankly it just makes things more difficult anyway.)

Thanked by 1Lee
  • Check out Bludit CMS.