Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IRC & Torrent allowed at hostigation
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IRC & Torrent allowed at hostigation

pylodepylode Member
edited March 2013 in General

Hi,

I was just wondering if any of the community here run IRC or torrent seedboxes on Hostigation OpenVZ/KVM services?
Do they permit this? (I have submitted a ticket, but would love to get input from the community as well.

Comments

• This is a question for @miTgiB

• pylodepylode Member
    edited March 2013

Tim replied to my ticket and said no on linked IRC servers.. but would still like to know user experience with torrenting there? reliable? etc

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2013

No one cares if you torrent unless you:
    A. Abuse resources
    B. Get caught violating copyright laws

No exception to that will be found at Hostigation.

• pylodepylode Member
    edited March 2013

@jarland some providers prohibit torrents full stop. I'm okay with A. and B. I only torrent legal content that i own the copyright for/or open source linux distros

• Well the reason why some providers prohibit (to my understanding) is that torrenting is also a huge I/O drain.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@smooch1502 said: some providers prohibit torrents full stop. I'm okay with A. and B. I only torrent legal content that i own the copyright for/or open source linux distros

You won't find a problem with Tim then. His torrent policy is the same as his biggest policy: "don't be a dick."

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@smooch1502 said: @jarland some providers prohibit torrents full stop. I'm okay with A. and B. I only torrent legal content that i own the copyright for/or open source linux distros

Well that is okay for Hostigation, provided you abide by Tim's rule:

@jarland said: biggest policy: "don't be a dick."

Also as the Pie Lord said:

@HalfEatenPie said: Well the reason why some providers prohibit (to my understanding) is that torrenting is also a huge I/O drain.

If it causes problems on Hostigations nodes and neighbours are affected etc., it won't be allowed, that's part of Tim's "don't be a dick" clause.

• @Infinity said: If it causes problems on Hostigations nodes and neighbours are affected etc., it won't be allowed, that's part of Tim's "don't be a dick" clause.

I love Tim's "Don't be a dick" clause. Such a blanket rule that applies to... well... everything.

• flyfly Member

I wouldn't recommend using hostigation. go w ovh, or someone who doesn't care

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

@HalfEatenPie said: > > @Infinity said: If it causes problems on Hostigations nodes and neighbours are affected etc., it won't be allowed, that's part of Tim's "don't be a dick" clause.

I love Tim's "Don't be a dick" clause. Such a blanket rule that applies to... well... everything.

Same

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited March 2013

@HalfEatenPie said: torrenting is also a huge I/O drain.

Limiting seeding to 5MB seems to be the key to not get caught in the Don't be a Dick rule

@fly said: I wouldn't recommend using hostigation. go w ovh, or someone who doesn't care

OVH is not the end all be all for everyone, some may like the fact of a East/West Coast US location or something more than an Atom or other low grade POS box.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@miTgiB said: other low grade POS box

I'm guessing that doesn't stand for Pre-Owned Supercomputer.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog308 said: I'm guessing that doesn't stand for Pre-Owned Supercomputer.

LOL :P
    We had torrenters doing 800+ mbps and didnt abuse disk (but were asked to throttle due to network abuse) while others did 100 and were caught in the alarms.
    Probably some clients do not defragment the files downloaded and this generates a lot of seek instead of getting the chunk in one go.
    I am not using torrents more than an occasional distro when I dont want to hammer mirrors and seems to be pretty light on disk, but it might be different in case of low BW and multiple sources which get aggregated and the resulting file is a huge puzzle.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Pre allocation.

That is all you need

• flyfly Member

@miTgiB said: OVH is not the end all be all for everyone, some may like the fact of a East/West Coast US location or something more than an Atom or other low grade POS box.

for torrenting? i dont think the cpu matters that much

• @HalfEatenPie said: is that torrenting is also a huge I/O drain.

ps -Af | grep torrent | awk '{print $2}' | xargs ionice -c idle