Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Uptime Monitoring - Needs Help
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Uptime Monitoring - Needs Help

PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
edited March 2013 in General

Hello,

As some of you may know, I won the domain which was uptimeup.com. I believe it was about a month ago and it was from an auction on here.

I'm looking for 2-3 people who would be able to spare some time developing this service with me, so that this domain can actually be made use of and offer something back to the LET community for what they've done to me.

If you're interested in helping develop this, please drop me a PM and I'll reply ASAP.

Thank you.

Comments

• SCDanielSCDaniel Member
    edited March 2013

Good luck on your ventures Dominic. It’s not easy task and indeed although the actual core goals are relatively simple there a huge array of things you have to take into account – redirection limits, socket hang ups, rate limiting, fullbacks (uptime monitoring should never go down) accommodating to less than helpful sites (Host: and host: can cause incorrectly reported downtime) and of course customer support and UX. I wish you the very best of luck but I really hope that you understand the huge complexities of an uptime monitor. Using CURL to get the current status is one thing – monitoring thousands of sites is another.

I'd also stress it really can't be an on the side thing. It's a full time job to get the basics perfect - let alone Customer support, server management and updates and more.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

Hey @SCDaniel,

Thanks for commenting here :)

I understand that it is a complex task to get things up and running, which is the reason that I am looking for some people to back it.

Thanks again,

Dominic

• I'm going to ask a frank question and one that I know we asked ourselves we we built our service - what you going to do differently? (obviously you don't need to say here to what will be in effect a competitor of yours!) but there are a huge array of uptime monitors on the market and you do need to stand out. I do stand by my original comment I think you'd make a nice amount of money by using your domain for reviews of current services / affiliate linkage.

@SCDaniel said: what you going to do differently?

Yeah, that's a question everybody needs to ask themselves. I need people to back it in order to be different.

@SCDaniel said: I think you'd make a nice amount of money by using your domain for reviews of current services / affiliate linkage.

That could also work, and is probably another great idea!

• jhjh Member

So we've established
    - You're not sure if you want to do this to start with
    - You have no idea what will set you apart
    - You need other people to do all of the work for no reward

Not trying to be mean, just trying to suggest that further thought is required before jumping into anything.

• JacobJacob Member

We could potentially have this from http://customers.easestatus.com, the functionality is there and the client side, it reads a table or two from our WHMCS right now.

Pictures, and such..
    http://easevps.eu/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=10

@jhadley - I've got 2 options here:

1. Uptime Monitoring Service (e.g. uptimeup.com, statuscake.com)
    2. Uptime Monitoring Reviews (review sites about uptime monitoring services, recommendations, etc)

@Jacob - looks nice :)

• BogdacutuuBogdacutuu Member
    edited March 2013

Make an uptime monitoring service that monitors the uptime of other uptime monitoring services. Monitoring serviceception.

• @Bogdacutuu said: Make an uptime monitoring service that monitors the uptime of other uptime monitoring service. Monitoring serviceception.

Mind == Blown

@HalfEatenPie said: Mind == Blown

I'll second this.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Well if you plan to use it to measure the uptime of anything I suppose the first things you need to do is go and buy about 10 VPS's in different countries and DC's for load balancing and to avoid false positives.

Then you will need to hook everything up to a reliable email service that you can depend on like authsmtp, I would suggest a budget of around $100 p/month to set up a small scale service that can actually be relied upon.

You will also need some coders and testers on board.

I think a blog/forum for reviews/recommendations might be best to start off with, as suggested

• @Bogdacutuu said: Make an uptime monitoring service that monitors the uptime of other uptime monitoring services. Monitoring serviceception.

Like. Not a bad idea :D :D

• @dominicl said: I think a blog/forum for reviews/recommendations might be best to start off with, as suggested

If that's the direction you go, please be sure to review NodePing!

@NodePing said: If that's the direction you go, please be sure to review NodePing!

It is the direction I'm going. ;) I'll be allowing people to submit reviews to me for publishing.

• jhjh Member

Again, Dominic. Nobody in the right mind is going to do it for you unless you pay them.

@dominicl said: I think a blog/forum for reviews/recommendations might be best to start off with, as suggested

Review what exactly?

@AnthonySmith said: Review what exactly?

A review site where people can submit reviews of uptime monitoring providers (such as UptimeRobot, etc)

• @dominicl said: A review site where people can submit reviews of uptime monitoring providers (such as UptimeRobot, etc)

make it monitor their uptime too.
    or make a very complicated network so that you have an account on every uptime monitoring service, and you monitor the uptime of every uptime monitoring service using the uptime monitoring service.

• @Bogdacutuu said: make it monitor their uptime too.

or make a very complicated network so that you have an account on every uptime monitoring service, and you monitor the uptime of every uptime monitoring service using the uptime monitoring service.

But then someone needs to buy uptimeupup.com and monitor uptimeup.com and then someone needs to buy....

@dominicl said: A review site where people can submit reviews of uptime monitoring providers (such as UptimeRobot, etc)

So a site with about 10 reviews in total ... ever with perhaps 1 more per year.

• Yeah really like the review idea. There are more uptime monitors than review sites which is a bit of a silly situation if you ask me! And hey plus it means we can ask our users at StatusCake to submit reviews which would drive your traffic.

• Hey,

Not sure if you heard of this but you could probably do something similar with the LEB community.

• Klikli, actually I'm working on something like that at the moment for the LEB community! Stay tuned.

• @AnthonySmith said: So a site with about 10 reviews in total ... ever with perhaps 1 more per year.

There's a lot more than 10 uptime providers out there... It's a crowded market and there's lots of noise.

@NodePing I see, I am only aware of you guys and pingdom for general server monitoring, well I am aware of others but none I would touch with a 20ft barge pole.

• @AnthonySmith said: @NodePing I see, I am only aware of you guys and pingdom for general server monitoring, well I am aware of others but none I would touch with a 20ft barge pole.

No offence taken ;). But yes Node is very much right on that.

@SCDaniel sorry buddy, I just never heard of statuscake until this thread :)

Looks like a nice service you offer but the oldest introduction on your forum is only 2 months ago so maybe in a year I would use it in production.

• Anthony - we only launched the forums (well soft launched - it's mainly used for a group we have to test new features) 2 months ago. We've been going for about 9 months now and have users such as Google, Amnesty International, Manpower Group and Zynga. :) But hey see you in a years time :D

ok you peaked my interest :) was kind of surprising to see that you have softlayer as having such poor uptime though.