Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

experience using exsi with Hetzner
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

experience using exsi with Hetzner

spammyspammy Member

I just managed to get a i7 2660 with 32GB and 2x3TB (no RAID) myself and installed ESXI 5.5 on it.

I am reading their documentation but it doesn't seems to be too clear with the IP addresses. Can you actually do with one IPv4 and is it true that the IPv6 subnet can only be given to one of the VMs rather than distribute among all of the VMs?

I am thinking of building a few VMs that are either accessible via IPv6 or using one as the VPN entry point and have the rest connected via the internal IPs (the VMs are for my learning purpose only so I will be the only one logging in but they all need to have the ability to reach at least the Internet in the IPv4 world). Are both options possible? If so which one is easier to configure?

Comments

• NomadNomad Member
    edited August 2016

Nope.

Unless you have IPv6 access at home you have to let ESXi use that IP for management. You can get a second IP, install pfSense (or something else) and let your other VM's connect through that pfsense machine.

This is what VMware wiki says

Configuring IP Settings for ESXi
    By default, DHCP sets the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway.
    For future reference, write down the IP address.
    For DHCP to work, your network environment must have a DHCP server. If DHCP is not available, the host assigns the link local IP address, which is in the subnet 169.254.x.x/16. No outbound traffic is allowed through the assigned IP address. The assigned IP address appears on the direct console. If you do not have physical monitor access to the host, you can access the direct console using a remote management application.
    When you have access to the direct console, you can optionally configure a static network address. The default subnet mask is 255.255.0.0.
    If your network does not have a DHCP server, configure the IP settings for ESXi manually from the direct console.

Or, get one IP for each VM.
    That should be the easiest way.

As for the IP they provide, it's a joke being only a /64 and all since you can't divide it any further and assign to multiple VM. Or at least not that I know of...

They offer a /56 for €41 + VAT if you are interested.

Thanked by 1spammy
  • Is it possible to tunnel the IPs then? I have a dedi server that some spare IPs.

• With pfsense or an alternative that'll handle the network traffic for other VM's, you should be able to do tunneling. Not with bare esxi though.

Thanked by 1spammy
  • spammy said: Is it possible to tunnel the IPs then? I have a dedi server that some spare IPs.

Not without a second IP for a router VM.

Thanked by 1spammy
  • lootloot Member

I've never been turned down for additional IPs from them for ESXi purposes, but not all their hardware is compatible so you might wanna check.

Thanked by 1spammy
  • @loot said:
    I've never been turned down for additional IPs from them for ESXi purposes, but not all their hardware is compatible so you might wanna check.

But it is not free :p

• lootloot Member

no :( i have a bunch of OVH IPs that are paid for (for now, at least, not being charged monthly) and the latency from france to germany is oh what a shocker not horrible, but still. i asked for a /28 and we settled on a /29 this morning at hetz and only because the tech is russian i'd like to think ;)