Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help with Proxmox (KVM) on a Hetzner server!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need help with Proxmox (KVM) on a Hetzner server!

AmitzAmitz Member

Dear all,

I really need some help. I have a server at Hetzner with Proxmox on top of Debian 8 installed and furthermore purchased 2 additional single IPv4s (no subnet). I would like to have two KVM running on that node with an IPv4 each. I have requested a separate MAC for each IP too.

Could someone with a comparable setting kindly provide me his configuration in /etc/network/interfaces for both the Host and the Guest system? That would be a great help, I am not very talented when it comes to networking...

Thank you very much in advance!

-Amitz

Comments

• This may help you https://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Proxmox_VE/en I haven't used proxmox more of a esxi man myself but at the bottom of the article it should tell you what you need. I'm assuming it's for bridged regardless it shows all the possible options.

• I think I also went through this one and did not get the network working. But I will take a look again, thanks.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Ok make a bridge (using proxmox). Bridge it with eth0, delete eth0 config, reboot and voila.

• MadMad Member

The hetzner wiki is fine, make sure to follow it properly.

• andreamada said: The hetzner wiki is fine, make sure to follow it properly.

Don't drive me crazy. ;-)
    I follow it now for the third time. Word by word. And still the KVM guests do not have any network connectivity. I pull my hair here. Maybe I should give it another try tomorrow. I have never got along well with Fridays...

• Will PM what I use with Proxmox + OVH which should be fairly the same for Hetzner

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited August 2016

@Amitz will pm you when back home, have done that a lot ;-)

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2016

How about people post what they use instead of sending a PM? Community and all that jazz...

• mehargagsmehargags Member
    edited August 2016

How about people post what they use instead of sending a PM? Community and all that jazz...

Request from my side too... I'm soon planning to setup a Hetzner Dedi into 6 VMs.

• MadMad Member

@Amitz if it's the 3rd time leave it and let someone else help you :)

Do not exclude though that the IPv4 Block is not properly routed to the server, it may happen sometimes.

• What @andreamada says. Another German provider (webtropia, servdiscount, myloc) has had this problem many times.

Thanked by 1Mad
  • sonontsesonontse Member
    edited August 2016

This guide works for both OVH and online.net, for me at least. I threw in isc-dchp-server to my install to auto assign private IPs to my KVM and LXC containers also so everything runs off 1 public nat ip address. I would assume it would work for Hetzner also.

https://www.kiloroot.com/proxmox-4-0-container-nat-with-datacenter-and-node-firewall/

• @Lee said:

ok, trying to sum up, what I wrote:

this is what I use as proxmox setup for use with KVM guests (debian thx), bridged setup, single IP with virtual mac assigned by hetzner.

/etc/network/interfaces on the node:

# Loopback device:
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    iface lo inet6 loopback

# device: eth0
    allow-hotplug eth0
    iface eth0 inet manual

# bridge device
    auto vmbr0
    iface vmbr0 inet static
      address 12.34.56.78       ## this is the main IP
      netmask 255.255.255.255
      pointopoint 12.34.56.99   ## this is the gateway for main IP
      gateway 12.34.56.99
      bridge_ports eth0
      bridge_stp off
      bridge_fd 1
      bridge_hello 2
      bridge_maxage 12

this is much alike from hetzner wiki that was already mentioned. netmask ending .255 and pointopoint is what's important.

when setting up the guest with proxmox afterwards simply keep vmbr0 in the network setting and fill in the virtual mac taken from hetzner robot.

when installing the guest, e.g. via debian netinst iso do note that the automatic detection of ipv4 config will most probably fail, as this simply won't be able to recognize the correct gateway/pointopoint setup if the additional IP is from a different subnet.

just push through minimal install without configuring a mirror and change network settings afterwards via vnc console.

on the guest VM the config afterwards should most likely be like:

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
    allow-hotplug eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
            address 56.78.91.23       ## this is the additional IP
            netmask 255.255.255.255
            pointopoint 56.78.91.99   ## this is the gateway for the additional IP
            gateway 56.78.91.99     

if there is no gateway given from provider for the additional IP the host gateway most likely will also work instead.
    (OVH doesn't like setting foreign gateways though ;-))

there are alternative setups like using 'up route -A inet add' syntax for declaring the gateway instead of pointopoint... but it's probably not a godd idea to mix that up.

as said above, this is intended to work on a bridged KVM setup with single additional IPs...
    hope this may help someone, if there are more detailed problems feel free to ask, I'll try to help ;-)

• LeeLee Veteran

Falzo said: ok, trying to sum up, what I wrote:

Good man.

Thanked by 1karjaj
  • @Lee said:

Good man.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited August 2016

One step closer to World Domination! (sick laughter with echo)

I have followed @Falzo's guide and hints and everything worked out just fine with my first test KVM. I am very happy right now. :-) Will try some more things tomorrow (off to sleep), but it looks very good for the moment! Thanks again!

Thanked by 1karjaj
  • LeeLee Veteran

Amitz said: I am very happy right now.

That's a shame...

• @Lee said:

Amitz said: I am very happy right now.

That's a shame...

Come on, it happens seldom enough! ;-)

Thanked by 1Lee