Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suggested apache config for vps with 512mb of ram ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Suggested apache config for vps with 512mb of ram ?

t0p3at0p3a Member
edited December 2011 in General

Suggested apache config for a vps with 512mb(burst 1024) of ram ?

I plan on running Wordpress i have xcache installed and wp-cache how can i tweak it more so its user-friendly and can handle medium/high traffic ?

Timeout 185 KeepAlive On MaxKeepAliveRequests 80 KeepAliveTimeout 15 <IfModule mpm_prefork_module> StartServers 5 MinSpareServers 5 MaxSpareServers 8 MaxClients 100 MaxRequestsPerChild 75 </IfModule>
This is how my current config looks now

free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 1024 252 771 0 0 0
-/+ buffers/cache: 252 771
Swap: 0 0 0

I did some tests with loadimpact.com and at 60 SUV's and 150 alive connections all my ram was gone

Running apache2, php and mysql + nsd. Can someone suggest a better apache + mysql config for my current specs ?

Comments

• KairusKairus Member
    edited December 2011

Drop apache for nginx in a low-memory environment. Disable innodb in MySQL if you're not using it, and tweak the MySQL config by monitoring the stats. You can use mysqltuner.pl (wget mysqltuner.pl + ./mysqltuner.pl) to help you tweak MySQL.

Thanked by 1t0p3a
  • Lower KeepAliveTimeout to maybe 3 - 5

Lower MaxClients to what you can realistically handle, based on how much memory your apache processes use and the fact you have a total of 512 MB

Raise MaxRequestsPerChild. At 75 you're just burning CPU, killing off and spawning new apache children. Set it to 1000 at least.

Tune your xcache size down to the minimum required, plus a bit more for overhead.

If you're expecting big traffic then you could really benefit by putting nginx in front of Apache to handle all static requests -- images, css, etc. But you have to deal with wordpress rewrite rules and anything else in .htaccess files.

Thanked by 1t0p3a
  • +1 on what sleddog had to say.

One important question is what kind of usage do you expect to see on this site? It's just that what I think of as high traffic might be a little different than what you think it means.

I might consider keeping innodb in a 512M config. It just depends on the exact usage as far as number of concurrent users and what kind of write vs. read load there is.

• I know you've specially mentioned apache fixes but...

Install a wordpress caching plugin. Most of the usage you're going to hit is going to be from MySQL calls.

I can't suggest a specific one but google to see discussion on the topic.