Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your experiences with ChicagoVPS, please!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Your experiences with ChicagoVPS, please!

AmitzAmitz Member
edited August 2016 in Reviews

Dear all,

Referring to this post here (https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1823252/#Comment_1823252, )I wonder whether I should get a VM with ChicagoVPS. We all know their past, but I miss recent reviews. Are there any ACTUAL and CURRENT clients here that could provide me with a bit of an insight of what to expect with today's ChicagoVPS?

Please - no bashing for the fun of it. No experiences from years ago. Let's just forget the leaked databases for a while. Only contribute, either positive or negative, if you can proof your claim somehow and if you are or have been a ChicagoVPS customer within the last 6 months.

Thank you very much in advance!

Cheers,
Amitz

Thanked by 1Chronic

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Working as intended, sorry

• @netomx said:

No need for any sorry. Looking for a representative picture of the situation. What do you do with the VM other than power-idling?

• MadMad Member
    edited August 2016

I feel like it's linked to: (image)

EDIT: Your thread has been edited while I was posting, nevermind :)

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Amitz said:

@netomx said:

No need for any sorry. Looking for a representative picture of the situation. What do you do with the VM other than power-idling?

It is for s friend, he hosts 5 webpages and webdev

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2016

raindog308 said: Comments on recent LEB posts have not been kind:

To be fair though you are playing into Chris's hands, all you have done is dig up negatives from a year ago, further in fact.

Play the right game, focus on those who currently have services and how happy they are, not out dated opinion.

I am no particular fan of CVPS but this is LET, if people had lots of issues with them they would be posting. I would be happier to bow down to a far improved service than keep bashing them. This place needs some positives if that is possible.

Thanked by 2netomx Dylan
  • Do you think the mere passage of time made Chris less of a dick?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Chris don't care, cos' Chris ain't there.

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • Snagged one of the 256 MB VPS offers from a few months back. I think it was $4/year or something silly like that (Atlanta). Uptime is currently 128 days and I've seen no network outages in that time, so it's been good so far this time around. (I've had plenty of bad CVPS experiences in the past.)

• CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1240 V2 @ 3.40GHz
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency :  3399.978 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 256 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime :   398 days, 18:15,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 11.8MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Atlanta, GA: 11.1MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Newark, NJ: 11.2MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 8.27MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 2.93MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 4.75MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 6.46MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 2.81MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 6.15MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 5.25MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 11.3MB/s
    I/O speed :  105 MB/s

That's small ChicagoVPS OpenVZ server in NJ.
    I can't say anything about current ChicagoVPS support (in past this part sucked big time) because it's not needed for more than a year. Look at uptime. This little box just work.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran

Come on @CVPS_Chris, drop the offer code, just like the old days, you know you want to and we want the banter...

• JasperNLJasperNL Member
    edited August 2016

Scratch this. The OP asks for recent reviews. (+ already posted. I'm blind)

There are a lot of reviews at what may be specs-wise compared to the cost the best offer at lowendbox: https://lowendbox.com/blog/chicagovps-40year-4gb-4ipv4-openvz-in-5-usa-locations-and-more/

I'm quite interested if things have changed. Then I'd certainly go for that offer :P (At least, assuming that the OpenVZ servers they provide are of the same quality as those provided by this offer)

• I've had a bunch of servers with CVPS over the years, some with problems, some without. Here is a current server I have with them in NJ. This was a pity server they gave me after my 200+ days of scheduled downtime with BlueVM. I have to admit I'm pretty happy with it.

System Info
    Processor       : QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
    CPU Cores       : 4
    Frequency       : 1999.999 MHz
    Memory          : 995 MB
    Swap            : 1023 MB
    Uptime          : 138 days, 9:29,

OS              : CentOS release 6.7 (Final)
    Arch            : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel          : 2.6.32-573.7.1.el6.x86_64
    Hostname        : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------
    Your public IPv4 is 107.172.xx.xxx
    Location                Provider        Speed
    CDN                     Cachefly        75.9MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          54.4MB/s
    Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       24.3MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       20.4MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       21.0MB/s
    Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       23.6MB/s

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          7.41MB/s
    Singapore               Softlayer       5.09MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net         10.5MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb        41.3MB/s

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 38.2 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 59.2 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 57.4 MB/s
    Average I/O     : 51.6 MB/s

Sure disk is a little slow, but more than acceptable for my use. I haven't had to open a ticket since Ernie set this up for me. Can't argue with 4 cores/1GB/KVM for $10/yr

• @joereid said:
    I've had a bunch of servers with CVPS over the years, some with problems, some without. Here is a current server I have with them in NJ. This was a pity server they gave me after my 200+ days of scheduled downtime with BlueVM. I have to admit I'm pretty happy with it.

System Info
    Processor       : QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
    CPU Cores       : 4
    Frequency       : 1999.999 MHz
    Memory          : 995 MB
    Swap            : 1023 MB
    Uptime          : 138 days, 9:29,

OS              : CentOS release 6.7 (Final)
    Arch            : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel          : 2.6.32-573.7.1.el6.x86_64
    Hostname        : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------
    Your public IPv4 is 107.172.xx.xxx
    Location                Provider        Speed
    CDN                     Cachefly        75.9MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          54.4MB/s
    Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       24.3MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       20.4MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       21.0MB/s
    Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       23.6MB/s

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          7.41MB/s
    Singapore               Softlayer       5.09MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net         10.5MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb        41.3MB/s

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 38.2 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 59.2 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 57.4 MB/s
    Average I/O     : 51.6 MB/s

Sure disk is a little slow, but more than acceptable for my use. I haven't had to open a ticket since Ernie set this up for me. Can't argue with 4 cores/1GB/KVM for $10/yr

Damn that's cheap. Want one too :p

• NickNick Member, Patron Provider

@TheOnlyDK said:

Shoot me a PM and we can get you the same setup as a courtesy :)

• I have a 4vCPU/2GB/OpenVZ/50GB-Disk/2TB/2-IPV4 I got from a few years ago for like $32.40/3yrs. Admittedly I haven't been using it much just as a mysql server, but it's doing well and I have 152 days of uptime. This is at their buffalo NY location.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@amitz I thank you for taking the initiative and starting a thread like this. It is really great to see someone wanting real answers instead of just following old habits.

@raindog308 I hope you can now see that things have improved, and CVPS is not what it was years ago. I'm not here to bash anyone, but I will stand up for a company that I believe has a great product at some of the best prices you can find on the web.

ChicagoVPS was one of the breakout companies for the LEB market in 2007 and was very popular, there is no reason it should not still be considered one of the best in the budget market. There are only great things to come, CVPS will have new product lines that will fall into the ever so changing marketplace in today's hosting world! Keep an eye out :)

Thanks for all the support from the customers that are happy, we really appreciate it!

• @VSNX_Nick said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

PM sent

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited August 2016

@VSNX_Nick said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

Any chance I could get in on this? Crissic is closing my account and the end of the year and I'd like something cheap with 50GB disk..

[EDIT] it's only a backup server so disk and BW are more important than anything else :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • zongyouxiaozongyouxiao Member
    edited August 2016

I have three vpes with chicagovps,all of them are fine except the disk IO is very unstable,two or three month ago, I experienced a very low IO(below 10MB/s), I complaint this to their support team,they asked me whether it was OK to create new ones on another node, I agreed,after moving to new nodes the disk IO performance improved(about 100+MB/s),but a few days ago,I noticed the IO reduced again(about 70MB/s),and now I find the IO has become 40MB/s, I don't know whether this will be reducing until I complaint to their support team again,but I just don't want to move around their nodes from time to time,because I have to backup my data and recover them,it's painful.

Besides,I think their support team is rather decent,though can't say helpful.

sorry for my bad English.

• @Amitz,
    is this thread actually to review the provider ChigagoVPS or do you require a suitable provider in Chicago? if latter, you may refer my recent thread - Need Reliable Chicago / Michigan Yearly 2GB/50GB SSD VPS

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

CVPS_Chris said: I hope you can now see that things have improved, and CVPS is not what it was years ago. I'm not here to bash anyone, but I will stand up for a company that I believe has a great product at some of the best prices you can find on the web.

ChicagoVPS was one of the breakout companies for the LEB market in 2007 and was very popular, there is no reason it should not still be considered one of the best in the budget market. There are only great things to come, CVPS will have new product lines that will fall into the ever so changing marketplace in today's hosting world! Keep an eye out :)

Thanks for all the support from the customers that are happy, we really appreciate it!

I don't know, but the arrogant sales pitch doesn't exactly inspire confidence that anything has changed.

• easyeasy Member

@CVPS_Chris said:

I hope you can now see that things have improved, and CVPS is not what it was years ago. I'm not here to bash anyone, but I will stand up for a company that I believe has a great product at some of the best prices you can find on the web.

said by someone who sell a week old domain on let. and didnt delivered it to the winner..

Thanked by 1sayem314
  • emgemg Veteran

@Lee said:

Again, out dated, from 7/8 months ago.

@CVPS_Chris said:
    @amitz I thank you for taking the initiative and starting a thread like this. It is really great to see someone wanting real answers instead of just following old habits.

@raindog308 I hope you can now see that things have improved, and CVPS is not what it was years ago. [...]

ChicagoVPS was one of the breakout companies for the LEB market in 2007 and was very popular, there is no reason it should not still be considered one of the best in the budget market. [...]

7/8 months ago is recent enough for me. Trust is earned. After watching ChicagoVPS epic failures year after year after year, I would not be willing to concede that they have suddenly turned it around for the long haul in just a few months.

@Amitz can choose his own criteria for deciding whether to sign up for a ChicagoVPS VPS, and has every right to ask his question, but I do not think it is a reasonable or valid basis for signing up, especially considering ChicagoVPS's long history. In my opinion, a six-month-or-less timeframe does not imply a trend. It could just as easily be a lull between storms.

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. I predict that many Chicago VPS customers will endure a new round of serious problems and issues between now and the end of next summer (2017). For ChicagoVPS's sake, I hope I am wrong. Let's wait and see.

Thanked by 1Lunar
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2016

emg said: I would not be willing to concede that they have suddenly turned it around for the long haul in just a few months.

You are in the LET minority though. It's the price that matters for the majority.

emg said: I predict

So did Nostradamus.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • emg said: Trust is earned.

I think this is the main reason why some people don't trust CVPS. There's a saying: trust comes by foot and leaves by horse. It's hard to earn it and easily lost.

Having said that, I have had CVPS services in the past. The only thing that was wrong with it was the IO performance, which was quite unstable.

I've had my run-ins with Chris in the past and things were always solved to my satisfaction (within reason, of course).

You get what you pay for, which also goes up for CVPS. They're not a bad provider, I just wouldn't put all my production stuff there considering my experiences.

Thanked by 2AlyssaD netomx
  • LeeLee Veteran

I had a few of their VPS in the past, not perfect by any means however it worked for what I needed. I paid between $10 - $30 annually and adjusted my expectations as to what I should expect from performance and service. They exceeded both, only though as I set the bar so low.

In honesty I would have one again at the prices I paid before, not for production though. A lot of the complaints in the past were mostly around performance, that however comes from people having the bar set to high in expectation. I recall people getting those now infamous 2GB plans, setting up cPanel and complaining because their customers were not happy with performance.. No shit!

• @VSNX_Nick I PMed you, but no replies from you.