Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some small VPS/VM to host a TeamSpeak 3 server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Some small VPS/VM to host a TeamSpeak 3 server

GriloGrilo Member
edited August 2016 in Providers

Hello guys :)

I'd like to know if there's some company specialized in provide small VPS/VMs, something like:

128~256RAM
< 5GB HDD~SSD
Probably any CPU would be fine with a TS3 server;

(EDIT: I will host probably 15 people on peak)

USA or Canada 'cause I need a ping lower than 200.

I was about to buy a BudgetVM again because I didn't have problems with this one, but it's too much for me (RAM/Storage) and they don't have minor plans. :/

Anyway, do you guys know someone that have a VM/VPS like that?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• you need a DDoS Protection or not?

If not any VPS can host it

• dailydaily Member
    edited August 2016

@Ishaq @Jordan

BudgetNode's $12/y 128MB plan would work well. DDoS mitigation is included, which is nice because TS servers tend to be magnets for free packets.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

People these days, TS is not a ddos magnet, If you piss people off sure they are a DDOS magnet, what do you expect?

Running a TS3 on a 4$/y OVZ fine since 3 Years and its a Public TS.

All fine, paranoid people.

• @Neoon said:
    People these days, TS is not a ddos magnet, If you piss people off sure they are a DDOS magnet, what do you expect?

Running a TS3 on a 4$/y OVZ fine since 3 Years and its a Public TS.

All fine, paranoid people.

And where would I found a 4$/y OVZ? :o

• @daily said:
    @Ishaq @Jordan

BudgetNode's $12/y 128MB plan would work well. DDoS mitigation is included, which is nice because TS servers tend to be magnets for free packets.

I'll see this one, thx

• PM me, I can give you a free teamspeak 3 server on Canada OVH

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Grilo Well they dont sell anymore a 4$/y OVZ with 1x IPv4, sadly.

But you can get something for like 8$/y+

• If it's a personal TS server just for friends, just grab any 128MB server from a reliable company, no ddos protection needed. But if you are expecting strangers / random people, you will better off with ddos as it can cause you headache later if you get hit.

I personally run a personal TS3 server on ramnode 128MB and it's been solid. Uptime is over 300 days.

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    If it's a personal TS server just for friends, just grab any 128MB server from a reliable company, no ddos protection needed. But if you are expecting strangers / random people, you will better off with ddos as it can cause you headache later if you get hit.

I personally run a personal TS3 server on ramnode 128MB and it's been solid. Uptime is over 300 days.

Just for friends.

That's the problem, I don't know reliable companies with 128MB :/
    Will see this ramnode too

• @Grilo said:

@TheOnlyDK said:
    If it's a personal TS server just for friends, just grab any 128MB server from a reliable company, no ddos protection needed. But if you are expecting strangers / random people, you will better off with ddos as it can cause you headache later if you get hit.

Just for friends.

That's the problem, I don't know reliable companies with 128MB :/
    Will see this ramnode too

Ramnode is absolutely awesome, E3 servers with SSD, super fast. Other options are buyvm, but locations might be slightly limited, but still in US. They are also the top provider, but I personally never used them.

If you don't care about it going down once or twice in a while, get a NAT LES from @AnthonySmith in Phoenix, I have a server there, fairly fast, haven't gone down since its launch. They have a template for TS3 that you can use (ts3 might be outdated) or use this script to setup latest TS3 easily (works on regular non-natted vps too).

https://github.com/bosscoder/NAT-TS3-Installer

• Read PM

• i83i83 Member

Grilo said: >128~256RAM

< 5GB HDD~SSD

USA or Canada

If NAT is suitable, our prices start from $3.30/yr.

• @daily said: @Ishaq @Jordan

Yep our 256MB $12/year plan is perfect for this. Free inbound, /64 IPv6, DDoS mitigation.

We host quite a few teamspeak servers. @Grilo PM if you want to order, I can add one for you in LA.

• JasperNLJasperNL Member
    edited August 2016

Lowendspirit provides 3$/year NAT VPS'es. They are great for this, I have one for this purpose too. The only con is that you get a port space that may not correspond to Teamspeak, but this is easily fixed by using a SRV DNS record for teamspeak

_ts3._udp.domain.com. 86400 IN SRV 0 5 12345 teamspeak.domain.com.
    (12345 is your port)

Also add an A record that points teamspeak.yourdomain.com to the box IP and you're done.
    Note that this works for every NAT VPS.

• ZeastZeast Member
    edited August 2016

I gave him a TeamSpeak Server 100 Slots on Canada.

@JasperNL said:
    Lowendspirit provides 3$/year NAT VPS'es. They are great for this, I have one for this purpose too. The only con is that you get a port space that may not correspond to Teamspeak, but this is easily fixed by using a SRV DNS record for teamspeak

_ts3._udp.domain.com. 86400 IN SRV 0 5 12345 teamspeak.domain.com.
    (12345 is your port)

Also add an A record that points teamspeak.yourdomain.com to the box IP and you're done.
    Note that this works for every NAT VPS.

TeamSpeak comes with TSDNS, when a user connects checks SRV records on fixed port (tsdns port that i don't remember now) with _ts3.udp flag and then check domain's DNS.

You just need an A record pointing to the IP and setup TSDNS (with his .ini)

• Im using cloudflare with TXT records to redirect ts.mydomain.com to an ip + custom port, works nicely. This allows you to run it on ANY NAT service and still have a dns entry for it without needing to specify a port.

More info here: https://support.teamspeakusa.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/293/12/does-teamspeak-3-support-dns-srv-records

• TXT or SRV?

• Zeast said: TeamSpeak comes with TSDNS, when a user connects checks SRV records on fixed port (tsdns port that i don't remember now) with _ts3.udp flag and then check domain's DNS.
    You just need an A record pointing to the IP and setup TSDNS (with his .ini)

You have the choice which you want to use. TSDNS must listen at a specific port and is therefore not suitable for a NAT VPS. Also it's focused at hosting DNS for multiple teamspeak servers rather than a single one. Also using the _ts3 SRV record is less work than setting up tsdns and it uses less resources.

There's no reason to use tsdns imho.

• I use tsdns on teamspeak 3 server hosting with some whmcs modules.
    I used SRV Record for the thread starter guy.

• VitaVita Member

Even a 64MB RAM VPS could handle that number of people (15 in your case), so you don't need more, as for the bandwidth and CPU don't worry it will work with almost any spec.

You got two options as far as the pricing goes:

1. NAT VPS ~ $2-3 per year check http://lowendspirit.com/locations.html .
    2. IPv4 VPS ~ $5-12 per year any provider will work just check if they are at least 6 months in business, so that you don't lose your money if they deadpool.

Please read the Pros and cons of both ways for more info:

1. NAT VPS

Pros:

• price ~ $2-3 per year

Cons:

• requires that you change the default port of the TS3 to the one from the range given by the VPS provider so you will connect to the IP:port instead only to the IP with the default port
    • if you want to go around this you could setup SRV records or TSDNS but that also takes time and everything gets more and more complicated
    • filebrowser on the channels will not work out of the box or maybe it's not possible to change the port
    • as a result of the filebrowser not working, icons will also not be visible on channels and user groups!
    • query port is not easily accessible, so creating additional virtual servers is not possible using third party software like yatqa.

2. IPv4 VPS

Pros:

• everything will work out of the box after installing
    • you will be able to connect directly to the ip of the server

Cons:

• price ~ $5-12 per year

So if you want to go the cheap way go with the NAT VPS, else if you need filesharing and icons on your server or just want it to work out of the box without fiddling go with an IPv4 enabled VPS.

• dailydaily Member
    edited August 2016

Vita said: So if you want to go the cheap way

We're talking about the difference in $2-9 a year. If you can't afford that, then TeamSpeak has plenty of open servers for use.

That being said, taking a server from somebody on here (even if generous) isn't a great idea. When it goes down, you're SOL.

• @Vita said:
    Cons:

• requires that you change the default port of the TS3 to the one from the range given by the VPS provider so you will connect to the IP:port instead only to the IP with the default port
    • if you want to go around this you could setup SRV records or TSDNS but that also takes time and everything gets more and more complicated
    • filebrowser on the channels will not work out of the box or maybe it's not possible to change the port
    • as a result of the filebrowser not working, icons will also not be visible on channels and user groups!
    • query port is not easily accessible, so creating additional virtual servers is not possible using third party software like yatqa.

2. IPv4 VPS

Pros:

- everything will work out of the box after installing
    - you will be able to connect directly to the ip of the server

Cons:

- price ~ $5-12 per year

So if you want to go the cheap way go with the NAT VPS, else if you need filesharing and icons on your server or just want it to work out of the box without fiddling go with an IPv4 enabled VPS.

Well, ServerQuery - FileTransfer - VoiceServer CAN be changed, you need to use the parameter createinifile=1 and then modify ts3server.ini, so you can start the server using 'inifile=ts3server.ini'

@TheOnlyDK posted a github script that can customize that ports.

• ZeastZeast Member
    edited August 2016

@daily said:

That being said, taking a server from somebody on here (even if generous) isn't a great idea. When it goes down, you're SOL.

vps, ts3
    I'm using @linuxthefish Canada OVH VPS

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • dailydaily Member
    edited August 2016

@Zeast said:

@daily said:

vps, ts3
    I'm using @linuxthefish Canada OVH VPS

Doesn't change what I said. If the server goes down, hes SOL. He can't contact support on your behalf. He'll be back here, regretting (theoretically) that he took you up on the offer, and that he had just spent a small amount of money instead.

• ATHKATHK Member

@JasperNL said:
    You have the choice which you want to use. TSDNS must listen at a specific port and is therefore not suitable for a NAT VPS.

No just no, please don't give false information.. TS and TS DNS is perfectly fine on a NAT VPS mines been in that configuration using my block of ports for almost 2 years.

• @ATHK said:

@JasperNL said:
    You have the choice which you want to use. TSDNS must listen at a specific port and is therefore not suitable for a NAT VPS.

No just no, please don't give false information.. TS and TS DNS is perfectly fine on a NAT VPS mines been in that configuration using my block of ports for almost 2 years.

Is possible to change tsdns port?

• You don't need TSDNS. TS3 has the ability to read SRV records, just set them correctly and you can use your domain without the port just like a TS3 server on a normal VPS.

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    You don't need TSDNS. TS3 has the ability to read SRV records, just set them correctly and you can use your domain without the port just like a TS3 server on a normal VPS.

There is different options

• @Zeast said:

@TheOnlyDK said:
    You don't need TSDNS. TS3 has the ability to read SRV records, just set them correctly and you can use your domain without the port just like a TS3 server on a normal VPS.

? What do you mean?

• @TheOnlyDK said:

@Zeast said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

? What do you mean?

DNS Record, SRV Record, TSDNS
    I use TSDNS for ts3 server hosting not personal server. If it's personal, srv.