Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What issues do you have with your provider?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What issues do you have with your provider?

What issues really annoy you about your current provider?

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited August 2016

Nothing annoys me about my current providers. If anything does annoy me, it either gets sorted to everyone's satisfaction or they're no longer a 'current' provider.

• VbroVbro Member

Hosting provider accept only EUR

• miaumiau Member
    edited August 2016

Whatever software they use to provision and provide control panel for my KVM is fragile as fuck.

Mess and experiment with something you don't actually have to in the panel, your box grows lots of strange problem that persist beyond account reset. My box refuse to shut down, virtio stoped working, segfault during boot, installer ISO stopped getting DHCP ip, locked out from OS, and even respond to ping when the vps tuned off (after the shutdown problem fixed by ticket). The problem finally solved when I request them to just gave me a new account with new IP and everything new. Good thing the ticket guy is responsive and helpful, no question, no drama.

If you otherwise just set and forget it, worked like charm for a cheap VPS.

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

Nekki said: If anything does annoy me, it either gets sorted to everyone's satisfaction or they're no longer a 'current' provider.

Hardcore. Care to share your "favorite" provider at the moment?

• crissic suspend the account and cancel the invoice today, reason of suspension written is over due payment, but today actually it is not over due. just sent them 2 tickets, and waiting for their answer. dont know why this happens.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Dilstar said:
    crissic suspend the account and cancel the invoice today, reason of suspension written is over due payment, but today actually it is not over due. just sent them 2 tickets, and waiting for their answer. dont know why this happens.

Crissic is closing the shop. Look it up.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@time4vps said:

Nekki said: If anything does annoy me, it either gets sorted to everyone's satisfaction or they're no longer a 'current' provider.

Hardcore. Care to share your "favorite" provider at the moment?

Harcode? That's simply fair. You need to make sure that your Customers are happy is you want them to stay.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

time4vps said: Hardcore. Care to share your "favorite" provider at the moment?

I don't have a 'favourite' as such, it's more that I have a group of 'go-to' trusted providers. Who I use for what depends on what exactly I need at the time.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

time4vps said: Hardcore. Care to share your "favorite" provider at the moment?

Not sure why that is "hardcore"...really, if someone isn't providing good service, yeah, they get kicked to the curb like any other kind of business.

My providers at the moment: BuyVM, DO, Ramnode, SecureDragon, Vultr, and sometimes Azure. I'd vouch for any of them (though Azure is a different category than the rest). The site in my sig says why.

Linode would be on the list but they don't really offer LEBs ($10 is their lowest...though some people think $10 is a LEB price...heretics...)

Now, in truth, there are things I don't like:

• Vultr has block storage in only some locations
    • DO doesn't officially support OpenBSD (though I run it just fine). Fix it @jarland !
    • DO/Vultr only offer private networking in the same DC. It really should be globally available...I should be able to connect to a 10x. host in TOR from LON for example.
    • BuyVM/Ramnode/SD don't offer additional disk on KVM
    • Ramnode uses Solus
    • I don't think Ramnode offers private networking...not sure about SD
    • SD doesn't offer any international locations
    • Solus, Wyvern, Stallion - none offer an API call to reinstall your OS (i.e., that I could do from a command line script)
    • BuyVM doesn't have Deb 8 KVM templates - @Francisco . Not sure about the others but probably not.
    • BuyVM/Ramnode/SD don't offer hourly billing.

I mean, there are things I don't like about my wife but I'm still happily married, so...nothing is perfect.

There are plenty of other hosts I've tried and kicked to the curb. Usually around stability and screwing things up.

For managed, WiredTree and Knownhost. My complaints there:

• only Linux
    • only VZ
    • No DDOS protection
    • really designed for cpanel hosting only

Nekki said: I don't have a 'favourite' as such

Then why do you have a tattoo of @cociu 's face on your thigh?

Thanked by 2MikePT bersy

rghf said: What issues really annoy you about your current provider?

One thing that really annoyed me about a provider I never used is that they set their node root password to F0ster.

Too soon?

Thanked by 4Nekki rds100 Lee MikePT
  • WHAT, Crissic is no more ? i want to get my data out . i have data in my vps , how can i get it.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@raindog304 - I hope to have all the newest templates available very soon, just finalizing the code to state creation. :)

I don't want to offer hourly billing but block storage is for sure on the menu.

Francisco

• LeeLee Veteran

raindog308 said: Too soon?

Damn you I was trying to take this one seriously.

• rghfrghf Member

@raindog308 said:

rghf said: What issues really annoy you about your current provider?

One thing that really annoyed me about a provider I never used is that they set their node root password to F0ster.

Too soon?

A lot changes over 7 years. We live and learn and move on

304 NOT MODIFIED

Thanked by 2vedran Francisco

rghf said: A lot changes over 7 years. We live and learn and move on

Actually now that I think about it, I think I was your customer, roundabout that time.

My first VPS was a brief dalliance with vpslink back in 2006.

Shortly thereafter I moved to DamnVPS. IIRC I picked them because their web site didn't look like every other hosts's ThemeForest site.

• another provider drserver windows vps are not working.

• Any host that charges VAT to non-European customers. (and OVH too for charging me HST)

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

doghouch said: Any host that charges VAT to non-European customers. (and OVH too for charging me HST)

Which company is that? I am pretty sure that's a violation of laws.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited August 2016

@AlexBarakov said:

doghouch said: Any host that charges VAT to non-European customers. (and OVH too for charging me HST)

I believe that it was back when FortaTrust was a thing. They opened a ticket saying that I was from the EU, so I had to pay additional taxes over their other crappy fees. (even though I was clearly from Canada)

I managed to cancel, and move away. They closed my account due to a few hundred bucks in debt, idk, it wasn't like I was going to pay them.

The only problem was that I forgot to pull my card from their billing system, so they managed to charge it. I was successful in a reverse/chargeback :)

As for OVH, they're running legally, so I, as a Canadian resident, using the services of a Canadian company have to pay the HST by law :/

• Incorrect whois (for IP location info) ... and inability to fix it.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Upstream has downtime, but never admit it making the SLA worthless. Sadly this is true of all upstream providers in HK and the reason why you need multiple upstream providers!

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Vbro said:
    Hosting provider accept only EUR

Have you asked the current hosting provider if they do exception and do accept any other currency for you? Example: we do accept all orders in GBP, but willing to accept any other supported currency by our payment gateways.

• raindog308 said: For managed, WiredTree and Knownhost. My complaints there:

only Linux

only VZ
    No DDOS protection
    really designed for cpanel hosting only

We have included Ddos Protection on our VPS' and Dedis for about 9 months now which includes already existing services. We have more details on it here: https://www.knownhost.com/ddos-protection.html

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited August 2016

AlexBarakov said:

No - apparently EU law allows member states to levy VAT on non-EU consumers if the service is "effectively used & enjoyed" in an EU country.

See: http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/taxation/vat/how_vat_works/telecom/index_en.htm

"Business or consumer outside the EU"

EU-to-EU must follow the VAT MOSS scheme, however, in which the VAT rate of the consumer's country is applied, and that tax is then remitted to that consumer's government. (disclaimer: IANAL.)

• NdhaNdha Member

@Dilstar said:
    another provider drserver windows vps are not working.

which location??

@Radi