Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disappointed with LEB/LET.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Disappointed with LEB/LET.

MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
edited August 2016 in General

Hi folks,

Thought I'd check the news at LEB, after announcing the changes/new ideas, and am stumbled to see the following:

"https://lowendbox.com/blog/provider-interview-budgetnode/"

Why in the world would you allow the author of the post to interview an Administrator here for the first review after the changes there?
It's super biased, and not fair for all the other providers advertising here.
You could have done it a month later at least? And give priority to other providers that have been advertising here for a long time?

Like it or not, and I do NOT have anything agains't @Ishaq, at all, we all know that, towards new members and many existing members, an Administrator, representing a company / owning it in this case, is an advantage to get new clients.
E.G: In @jarland's case, it's perfectly acceptable the fact that he works for DO and chimes in threads about it. He has already helped me a few times already. Not the issue here.

I thought this was an unbiased community, for the Admins at least. It doesn't look like that.

I'm not contesting what's written in LEB. I'm simply showing my disappointment at that.
And yet, many people blame CC for owning several brands that advertise here, and owning LET/LEB in full...
I mean, come on. Let's be realistic. Am I being stupid here? Or genuinely worried with what happened in LEB regarding the very first interview to an Admin here?

I would certainly be pissed off if I was a provider advertising here for a long time. Don't get me wrong, please. I just think that this step was absolutely ridiculous and unfair.
Note that this is a new provider that started in June 2016, why is it worth more to interview the owner than any other company that has been doing great here?
E.G: BuyVM, Cloudshards, Dediserve, Dedistation, RamNode?

Comments

• Let me call @Nekki and grab some popcorn. This thread got potential of giving us some high quality entertainment.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@WebGuru said:
    Let me call @Nekki and grab some popcorn. This thread got potential of giving us some high quality entertainment.

I accept all the comments he does, but I ain't gonna accept yours...? Who are you? And why do you think I'd be feeding the drama?
    Did you share your opinion regarding this? Or are you here only to... Look at the drama?

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited August 2016

it certainly is biased and @Ishaq will most likely get many customers.. free adverts

such a new company though i personally would not trust it.

• and i do hope @Ishaq is not in league with Jordan Mckeag? please tell me you aint.

• JordanJordan Member
    edited August 2016

@TarZZ92 said:
    and i do hope @Ishaq is not in league with Jordan Mckeag? please tell me you aint.

No. A friend of Ishaq in real life and I worked with him at BlueVM.

@TarZZ92 said:
    it certainly is biased and @Ishaq will most likely get many customers.. free adverts

such a new company though i personally would not trust it.

New company, started in June 2016, a LET Administrator owns it... Why should it be the first one to be interviewed? We got many great providers here that would deserve it much more.
    It's purely biased. Seeing this happening is disappointing.

Thanked by 2doughmanes coreflux
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

MrGeneral said: Am I being stupid here?

No, but I think you might be overestimating the value of a single LEB post.

Thanked by 2switsys coreflux
  • LeeLee Veteran

OMG, does nobody ever read what I say....

@Lee said:

hawc said: Elaborate a bit more please. What do you think could have been done better?

I see the text has been updated to make sense, try proof reading before publishing.

In business a couple of months, can't even be sure it will survive 6 months at this point. Sure it's a good service like most other new and untested ones.

Plenty of far better placed hosts that have their own panels, adding features and so on. They are better placed to add value to the interview that people really want to know about.

At best this was just an easy advert for the host, nothing more. Totally pointless.

It's not even an interview. A few generic questions emailed or skyped to the host and answered only to impress, no critical analysis of the answers, means nothing, especially for a new unknown host. Example,

"But there are so many that would stay with us because they love our company. "

Yeah sure, 2 months trading is enough to demonstrate this. It's cheap there is 80% of their reason for buying, your an admin there is 10% and the other 10% is just because..

I get it though, quality is not what's important here, the traffic on LEB has tanked so much and there are always ad spots available and something needs to be done.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited August 2016

MrGeneral said: We got many great providers here that would deserve it much more. It's purely biased. Seeing this happening is disappointing.

Totally agree..

Please fix this nonsense @jarland and maybe hosts should be in business for 6 months + for a "unbiased" review for potential customers.

• @MrGeneral said:
    I accept all the comments he does, but I ain't gonna accept yours...? Who are you? And why do you think I'd be feeding the drama?
    Did you share your opinion regarding this? Or are you here only to... Look at the drama?

I am just another poster sorry if you found my comment offensive. I can edit/delete it if you want.

@jarland said:

MrGeneral said: Am I being stupid here?

No, but I think you might be overestimating the value of a single LEB post.

I am not, @jarland. In fact, even though not many people read it, the new LEB authors should interview another company, for their first, like the examples I gave you guys, or any other.

It's biased. People don't give importance to it, but do give them HVH announces here, being part of CC.
    I didn't see a CC owned company there in the interview.
    Clearly, a mistake from the author, this time, and from Ishaq. If I were him, I'd avoid that, as the author should have done.

I'm not trying to create drama. It's sunday, and we're all still resting.

• JordanJordan Member
    edited August 2016

Harry wanted to try something different and try a new type of LEB post. He chose us for whatever reason. @Ishaq did not persuade him.

He quite clearly asked for providers who are interested to comment for an interview next week. If you are so bothered about the promotion we're getting, then apply yourself. In a week you'll be ahead of us and all this means nothing.

MrGeneral said: It's biased

No one made Harry interview anyone, as far as I know. Besides, why not just contact Alex if you're passionate about what is written on LEB?

@Jordan said:
    Harry wanted to try something different and try a new type of LEB post.

He quite clearly asked for providers who are interested to comment for an interview next week. If you are so bothered about the promotion we're getting, then apply yourself. In a week you'll be ahead of us and all this means nothing.

I am NOT a provider. The author should have choose an old provider.
    This one was funded in June, 2016?

@jarland said:

MrGeneral said: It's biased

No one made Harry interview anyone, as far as I know. Besides, why not just contact Alex if you're passionate about what is written on LEB?

Jarland, I am passionate about the community itself. I ain't a story changer or a warrior.
    We both know that you guys defend each other.
    What I am sure about, it that if CC published the very first review about HVH, this would have already a thread. 100% sure.
    If you want to change a website and drive traffic into it, then do it right. Fully unbiased.

TarZZ92 said: Please fix this nonsense @jarland and maybe hosts should be in business for 6 months + for a "unbiased" review for potential customers.

Truthfully, I asked for help and told Alex that I can't handle LEB alone. When I took it on, it was right before a promotion. With that promotion came a lot of responsibilities. I still want to be involved in LEB, and most definitely want to continue to admin LET, but I don't have enough time to handle LEB alone. That has led to changes, but I'm not particularly against them. If you know Harry at all, you know that he's not going to post something like that interview in a biased way. That's just not his style.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
    edited August 2016

MrGeneral said: Jarland, I am passionate about the community itself. I ain't a story changer or a warrior. We both know that you guys defend each other.

That doesn't even make sense. If you want to contribute to the content, contact Alex.

• @MrGeneral said:

@Jordan said:

The idea of the interview was to capture the process of setting up a new VPS host. Maybe the questions asked did not fully achieve this.

edited August 2016

@Jordan said:

@MrGeneral said:

@Jordan said:

The idea of the interview was to capture the process of setting up a new VPS host. Maybe the questions asked did not fully achieve this.

Sorry but that's not what it looks like.

@jarland,
    We've had our share of problems. I'm not attacking anyone here. I support changes for the good. This wasn't the right way to do it at all.

I am all in for good things and willing to help if needed. I contacted Alex in order to contribute to LEB, and I would certainly suggest to interview many hosts.

Now the very first interview:

• Owner is an Administrator here
    • Company is two months old
    • Is it worth to interview already?

I'd understand if they interviewed you, @jarland, about DO, and how was the team there and such. We do have that interest, I suppose.
    Now about BudgetNode, nobody knows if they'll be here for a long time or not. They are two months old. Let's be realistic.

I shared my opinion with you folks. It's not my intention to start new drama, at all. But, I like to know that I am not the only one who's agains't this first review, 100% biased.

Thanked by 3TarZZ92 Peroni Ympker

MrGeneral said: 100% biased.

Honestly the same could be assumed of the latest post mentioning DO. It's biased, admin works for DigitalOcean. Yet, no one ever said a word to me about a post going out today that mentions DO. Not one single person. Maybe there's not a conspiracy, maybe there's not really drama to be had here, maybe people just took an easy route to getting started with content that hadn't previously been writing for LEB?

Harry is a new writer for the site, give the guy a break. He's a good guy.

@jarland said:

MrGeneral said: 100% biased.

Honestly the same could be assumed of the latest post mentioning DO. It's biased, admin works for DigitalOcean. Yet, no one ever said a word to me about a post going out today that mentions DO. Not one single person. Maybe there's not a conspiracy, maybe there's not really drama to be had here, maybe people just took an easy route to getting started with content that hadn't previously been writing for LEB?

Harry is a new writer for the site, give the guy a break. He's a good guy.

I've heard good things about Harry. I am all for good changes, @jarland. I simply had to share my opinion. I'm sure many share the same opinion.

As for you working for DO, you proudly work for DO and you do your best to help people here.
    It's not related, at all. You don't gain a profit directly, your company does.

In this case, the Admin profits directly, and his company is 2 month old, not years old as DO, with a custom panel, huge team, etc.

Thread can be closed, should you wish.

MrGeneral said: I simply had to share my opinion

And you're welcome to. Thanks for sharing.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • It is purely coincidence that @Ishaq is part of the company. Harry was chosen as a new writer, decided to do an interview, and the first people he went to was us, for whatever reason. The writer can chose whoever he likes to be the subject.

I can 100% guarantee you we were not involved in the decision, not that you'll believe me anyway, so we'll leave it there.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited August 2016

I have proposed Harry that I could be the next interview partner. I am much more interesting than those BudgetNode guys. My life has been colourful, I did many of the things that some kids here only know from the dirty movies. I had fantastic accidents, did strange things when I was younger and still have several mental deviants. I am divorced once and have seen all the shit. Word. Debian. Thx. The audience here and on LEB is enormously interested in reading more about their second best Super Moderator. They are eager to listen to the truth. They want me. I feel it right in my chest and lap.

We could even do a photo-homestory with me and not much textiles. I am ready and I know you all are too.

That would be the story to forget everything about the bumpy start that the interview series had. Glamour, Sex and Extravaganza from now on!

Harry, come on. Join me on my rollercoaster ride called life! Let's put on our shitkickers and kick some shit!

@Jordan said:
    It is purely coincidence that @Ishaq is part of the company. Harry was chosen as a new writer, decided to do an interview, and the first people he went to was us, for whatever reason. The writer can chose whoever he likes to be the subject.

I can 100% guarantee you we were not involved in the decision, not that you'll believe me anyway, so we'll leave it there.

Not an issue. If that was CC, it wouldn't be a coincidence, but is in this case. If LEB wants to be neutral, then think twice before posting such an interview.

It's an advantage for a 2 month old, that has proven us NOTHING yet.
    Simple as that.

@Amitz said:
    I have proposed Harry that I could be the next interview partner. I am much more interesting than those BudgetNode guys. My life has been colourful, I did many of the things that some kids here only know from the dirty movies. I had fantastic accidents, did strange things when I was younger and still have several mental deviants. I am divorced once and have seen all the shit. Word. Debian. Thx. The audience here and on LEB is enormously interested in reading more about their second best Super Moderator. They are eager to listen to the truth. They want me. I feel it right in my chest and lap.

We could even do a photo-homestory with me and not much textiles. I am ready and I know you all are too.

That would be the story to forget everything about the bumpy start that the interview series had.

Harry, come on. Join me on my rollercoaster ride called life!

Not an issue, we can forget it all, @Amitz!

I'd love to read stories about your drunk nights... :P

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

I hope this is a worldwide expression:

Aoc

Thanked by 1MikePT

@netomx said:
    I hope this is a worldwide expression:

Aoc

Aoc.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited August 2016

Air Operator Certificate? Appelation d'Origine Controlée? Anal, Oral, Centrifugal?

An Octapus Conscience.

• @Amitz said:
    Air Operator Certificate? Appelation d'Origine Controlée?

Approved operational concept.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

It is like "Cool story, bro"

Thanked by 2MikePT Amitz