Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ubuntu is now China's official OS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ubuntu is now China's official OS

RaymiiRaymii Member
edited March 2013 in General

Original Article:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/22/china_makes_linux_os_with_canonical_help/

Quoting:

Ubuntu is going to become the reference architecture for a Linux distribution, backed and developed by the Chinese government.

The news means Ubuntu-stewards Canonical will work with China's National University of Defense Technology, and The China Software and Integrated Chip Promotions Center, to develop a Chinese-flavored version of the popular Linux distribution.

This software will help China provide "a flexible, open, widely-used and standardized operating system," Canonical said on Thursday.

"This collaboration will bring local investment and participation to ensure that the platform is relevant for the Chinese market, and close coordination with the global Ubuntu project ensures that it is familiar to software and hardware vendors, and useful for export products made by Chinese companies as well," Canonical chief executive Jane Silber said in a statement.

A "CCN Open Source Innovation Joint Lab" has been create in Beijing where where engineers from all three organizations will code "an enhanced version of the Ubuntu desktop with features specific to the Chinese market".

The first distribution made under this scheme will come out in April 2013 and will be named Ubuntu Kylin.

Chinese specific features in the 13.04 release include Chinese input methods and Chinese calendars, along with weather indicators and integration of various Chinese sites into the Dash.

Future releases will see services for payment processing for banks and online shopping added in, along with integration with popular Chinese software for photo editing and document production.

Other repressive nations that have developed local versions of Linux include North Korea, which built the KDE-based Red Star OS to help wean it as a nation off of an unfortunate dependence on Windows made by the capitalists over at Microsoft.

China's decision to plough more resources into Linux development stems from a similar desire to wean itself off of technologies developed by Western companies as part of the nation's latest five year plan.

Because the software is open source it's unlikely that any backdoors could be added into the Ubuntu OS without the global Linux community taking notice.

That last sentence, no backdoors because open source... Yeah right, now with the direction Ubuntu's going? It won't suprise me if after a few years of Chinabuntu someone discovers those Dash searches go right to them government...

What do you guys think about this? Will it stop the massive windows piracy there? Will it give providers more experienced chinese users because now they have 'buntu experience?

Comments

• @Raymii said: Other repressive nations that have developed local versions of Linux include North Korea, which built the KDE-based Red Star OS to help wean it as a nation off of an unfortunate dependence on Windows made by the capitalists over at Microsoft.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

• flyfly Member

well, the logical next step is to integrate GFW + government spying, since they already serve ads from amazon

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I wouldn't work with them on crap. Better keep an eye on the code for Ubuntu for the rest of us.

• tommytommy Member

why Ubuntu? too shit read Mark Sh**** blog

the best quote from him :
    If you've done what you want for Ubuntu, then move on. That's normal - there's no need to poison the well behind you just because you want to try something else."
    source : http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/380446/ubuntu-is-for-everyone-not-only-leets-says-shuttleworth

He's act like God :P

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

@halfeatenpie That part also made me laugh, those North Koreans...

• @Raymii said: Chinabuntu

or it can be Chibuntu / Chubuntu / Chuntu / Chintu ;-)

• tommytommy Member

@vanarp said: or it can be Chibuntu / Chubuntu / Chuntu / Chintu ;-)

Cuntu better

• @tommy said: Cuntu better

I thought Chintumight work because it sounds more of China and less of Ubuntu ;-)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

My reaction is 面手掌 miàn shǒuzhǎng, or simply facepalm.

• JacobJacob Member

I'll be sticking to 12.04 untill EOL.

• @tommy said: Cuntu better

Anything but Cunt, U!

• @Liam said: I've met Mark

Who Mark?

• Ubuntu
    not Debian

If you're going to be using a linux distro as your primary OS for an entire country's government then you should at least be using the better alternative.

• First you do communism wrong and now Linux?!?!

CHIIIINAAAAAAAA!!!

• twaintwain Member

I thought that most Chinese users use Windows.. doubt this will catch on..

• @twain said: I thought that most Chinese users use Windows.. doubt this will catch on..

If I remembered correct China has already developed a Linux system called Red Flag Linux many years ago, not sure what happened to that one.

But yes, most of the consumers would stick to Windows, but Windows is a closed-source system so the government will force all the government computers to run on the Linux system eventually since who knows what kind of backdoors Microsoft has in Windows to help Uncle Sam doing some secret spying, LOL :)

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@zhuanyi said: who knows what kind of backdoors Microsoft has

• KrisKris Member

@zhuanyi said: who knows what kind of backdoors Microsoft has in Windows to help Uncle Sam doing some secret spying, LOL :)

I doubt as many as Uncle Mao will throw in random system modules.

Can only imagine the work being done down at P.L.A. Unit 61398 by their "CNOs"

• @Raymii ..I really think the West needs to work with China as much as possible to be progressive. No one is stating the obvious-tip of the white Hat for a good choice of OS!

• goexodusgoexodus Member
    edited March 2013

The National University of Defense Technology tends to develop variants of Western > technologies and then take them into a different direction altogether, as evidenced > by its past involvement in stewarding the development of China's MIPS-based
    processors, and of helping guide development of the novel interconnects used in
    some of China's top supercomputers. Who knows what may go on in the lab?

"The Capitalists will sell us the rope with which we will hang them." LENIN

... another effort of the Chinese Communists to ripoff intellectual property ...

• RophRoph Member

Ubuntu already got chewed out by the EFF for the bundled amazon spyware. I guess this impressed China.

• But... They already have that Pirated Windows which doesn't cost them anything. Why should they switch? http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/hiner/sanity-check-how-microsoft-beat-linux-in-china-and-what-it-means-for-freedom-justice-and-the-price-of-software/525 is quite interesting. If only we could get Microsoft Products for that little in the US!

• NeoNeo Banned

Haha loooooool ;D

• I am very disappointed about the behaviors of China,as a Chinese ,I have to say that never trust words from gov.The gov are always lying!They cheated ppl,actually they are liars.Many yrs ago,they 'developed' kyin --linux os,it is ridiculous,it is only a lie,they said they developed it.