Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ONLINE.net old dedis reaching END OF LIFE
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ONLINE.net old dedis reaching END OF LIFE

Long story short: when I got the box it got KVM which helped a lot when having any boot problem or update mistake, then a couple days ago mail server stops working, do a reboot and then never boots again.

So in ticket they say that reaching its end of life box will be terminated next month. New gen cost is double (from 4.9 to 8.9 eur).

Their "rescue mode" doesn't cover boot process nor grub stage so I just started "making my backpack" on that server (and it had to be the mail one!!!!).

I thought the online box was going to be the "keepers" one...

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

There was a LONG thread about it a long time ago.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • forgot to mention their 20EUR setup fee.. still dunno if they wanna charge it too

• I have this message from 6 months.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Didnt they offer no setup fee to EOL machines

Thanked by 1ManofServer
  • @OpticalSwoosh said:
    Didnt they offer no setup fee to EOL machines

Yup pretty sure they mentioned that, OP probably just needs to open a support ticket to get a new server without setup fees.

• First of all, there is an older thread with a lot of information about that.
    Second: Online.net says that the 2$ kidechires servers (that's all about) are EOL and if a hardware failure occurs, the support won't be able to replace it and will terminate it.
    If there is not any failure on the server, then, those tiny boxes will continue but with no any guarantee...
    Now, when they did the offer, those servers did not have any setup fees, just the 2$ bill per month. So, it is now ridiculous to ask for them to give their normal servers without setup fee, especially when all of their products do have fees (I don't like setup fees, but for the prices oneline.net offers combined with the quality of service, it is really not a big deal).
    And, yes, if you chose a new server, they will charge setup fees.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @ManofServer said:

@OpticalSwoosh said:
    Didnt they offer no setup fee to EOL machines

Yup pretty sure they mentioned that, OP probably just needs to open a support ticket to get a new server without setup fees.

Thanks, I missed that.

Guess I'll look forward to that.

• vimalware said: Thanks, I missed that.

Unfortunately, they don't... I asked them some weeks ago and they refuse it... And, as I said before, to be fair that is not unfair.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @jvnadr said:

vimalware said: Thanks, I missed that.

Unfortunately, they don't... I asked them some weeks ago and they refuse it... And, as I said before, to be fair that is not unfair.

They upgraded my Kidechire two days ago to a SC2016 with no setup fee.

• ACaton said: They upgraded my Kidechire two days ago to a SC2016 with no setup fee.

Nice! I should ask them again!

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2016

jvnadr said: So, it is now ridiculous to ask for them to give their normal servers without setup fee

It may or may not be, but from multiple reports they still do it. Personally I don't think it is, after all it's not often that a provider discontinues a special offer, with the only replacement offered being 5x more expensive. There's got to be some apology or compensation, and the no setup fee thing is at least something.

• Apparently the c2750(xc) is no slouch (outperforming L5520 on several CPU benches)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Pfff, when my Kidichire dies, i dont gonna buy there crap, gonna buy a Hetzner.

• iBotiBot Member

@Neoon said:

crap you say?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@iBot said:

@Neoon said:

crap you say?

Overpriced, get a Hetzner 30EUR 9.5k CPU Bench, 20TB, 2x3TB with AntiDDOS.

• iBotiBot Member

@Neoon said:

@iBot said:

@Neoon said:

crap you say?

Overpriced, get a Hetzner 30EUR 9.5k CPU Bench, 20TB, 2x3TB with AntiDDOS.

How's that a credible upgrade from a Kidechire?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • LeeLee Veteran

iBot said: How's that a credible upgrade from a Kidechire?

Credible, its not even comparable.

• vimalware said: Apparently the c2750(xc) is no slouch (outperforming L5520 on several CPU benches)

the L5520 has BETTER single threat performance.

• @TarZZ92 said:

vimalware said: Apparently the c2750(xc) is no slouch (outperforming L5520 on several CPU benches)

the L5520 has BETTER single threat performance.

L5520 : If you DARE to crunch these number faster than me, I will throttle the $hit out of you !!!!!!

Kidechire : Damn, what a threat !

• Junkless said: L5520 : If you DARE to crunch these number faster than me, I will throttle the $hit out of you !!!!!!

single thread is a threat to those atoms :) they suffer terrible performance single threaded

less than half in some cases of the L5520

• @TarZZ92 said:

Junkless said: L5520 : If you DARE to crunch these number faster than me, I will throttle the $hit out of you !!!!!!

single thread is a threat to those atoms :) they suffer terrible performance single threaded

less than half in some cases of the L5520

Which would seem obvious if the quad core only sometimes outperformed the dual core.

How many server workloads are single threaded these days though?

(visions of hyperthreating and parallel threats...)

• How many server workloads are single threaded these days though?

you would be surprised. a hell of a lot.

• got the new box off the setup fee!! yay

• @gattytto said:
    got the new box off the setup fee!! yay

How? Was your server having issues?