Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WizzVPS: Cheap ASIA VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WizzVPS: Cheap ASIA VPS?

cartercarter Member
edited December 2011 in Providers

I'm searching for a cheap ASIA VPS for DNS hosting and took a look at WizzVPS.

HE Looking Glass looks really good for Asia.

Someone any experience with them?

Comments

• Their prices for VPS in Singapore are above the LET/LEB limit of $7. I guess that's why you won't find much info about them here.

• I know. It's really hard to find cheap VPS in Asia.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

I believe there are a few, just search LowEndBox. Also I think LoomHosts are going to start a Singapore based service.

• I haven't tried this one http://nhost.kz/vps-vds-serveri
    At 990 Kazakhstah Tenge per month this converted to $6.68, under the limit.
    The website is not in English.

However, it may not be a good time to get a server there http://news.techeye.net/internet/mobile-internet-connections-cut-in-kazakhstan

• Why do all these eastern european countries poland/russia/ukraine etc vps host always offer umetetred vps.

• I'd actually really like an Asian node for our DNS system. Considering how inter-connected that part of the world is, it's surprising that VPS's there aren't cheaper or more plentiful.

• They're not uncommon by any stretch... you'll just have troubles finding a company with an english-speaking rep.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@Keith according to http://bgp.he.net/ nhost.kz isn't that strong on international/asian transit, it's mostly Russian providers. So chances are that for other asian destinations you'll end up going via Moscow first, and then Europe, etc.

• Hmmm 9.95 with 160 MB ram, doesn't sounds so bad.

• Hopefully some LEB providers take advantage of Softlayer's relatively inexpensive Singapore location and start offering us some sweet Asian LEBs. I think its only $20
    more per month to get your server put in their Singapore DC over their American locations.

• I asked WizzVPS about uplink cap: All VPS on same node share the 100mbit uplink - so, no 2mbit uplink limit like ExpertVM.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited December 2011

@net said: Why do all these eastern european countries poland/russia/ukraine etc vps host always offer umetetred vps.

You mean unmetered data transfer? Because eastern european ISPs mostly don't limit/charge data transfer (yet). In most cases is only limit bandwidth speed of a package. I don't come from "so" eastern EU country but still close... and we're not familiar with something as "data transfer limit" yet.

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • @Spirit said: You mean unmetered data transfer? Because eastern european ISPs mostly don't limit/charge data transfer (yet). In most cases is only limit bandwidth speed of a package. I don't come from "so" eastern EU country but still close... and we're not familiar with something as "data transfer limit" yet.

Yeah. Cheers buddy.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@Spirit said: eastern european ISPs mostly don't limit/charge data transfer

Don't mix home ISPs and colocation/datacenters. The latter very much limit and charge for the transfer, also in some countries you will have weird ratio requirements, e.g. "the transfer is free, as long as domestic (in the same country) transfer is more than international".

Regarding why they offer unlimited, I'd say they are more willing to bend what 'unlimited' means, and also going to be willing to kick out clients who use 'too much'.

• @rm_ said: Don't mix home ISPs and colocation/datacenters.

Where I come from that's pretty much the same, but I need to correct myself. Mobile phone operators started to limit data transfer also here - but that's more or less only known case of data transfer limit I know and I still can't find DC in my country which would limit data transfer. Maybe @vedran and @iKocka which if I remember correct come from similar area can tell us more but I think that this is atleast partial reason why eastern european hosts can afford "unlimited data transfer".

• Could you elaborate on this?

• no

...>_>

• netpioneernetpioneer Member
    edited December 2011

I tried their Singapore VPS during 30 days (WizzVPS is a trading name of Layershift Ltd)

Virtuozzo. SAS HD. 16 cores. Equinix DC. Voxel Network. 100% uptime.

Good value for the price.

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 3.30644 s, 325 MB/s

cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor : 15
    vendor_id : GenuineIntel
    cpu family : 6
    model : 44
    model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5630 @ 2.13GHz
    stepping : 2
    cpu MHz : 1596.000
    cache size : 12288 KB

AS29791 Voxel Dot Net, Inc.

IPv4

ASN Name
    10% AS7473 Singapore Telecommunications Ltd
    7% AS23393 ISPrime, Inc.
    6% AS8220 COLT Technology Services Group Limited
    5% AS4637 Reach Network Border AS
    5% AS21219 PRIVATE JOINT STOCK COMPANY "DATAGROUP"
    5% AS11164 National LambdaRail, LLC
    3% AS24724 ATM S.A.
    3% AS3255 Ukrainian Academic and Research Network
    2% AS56197 KDDI SINGAPORE PTE LTD
    2% AS35320 Eurotranstelecom

root@5ms:~# wget -O /dev/null http://ftp.iij.ad.jp/pub/linux/centos/6.0/centosplus/i386/RPMS/kernel-
    2.6.32-71.7.1.el6.centos.plus.i686.rpm
    --2011-12-01 11:54:39-- http://ftp.iij.ad.jp/pub/linux/centos/6.0/centosplus/i386/RPMS/kernel-2.6.3
    2-71.7.1.el6.centos.plus.i686.rpm
    Resolving ftp.iij.ad.jp... 202.232.140.136, 202.232.140.141, 202.232.140.135, ...
    Connecting to ftp.iij.ad.jp|202.232.140.136|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 21868840 (21M) [application/x-rpm]
    Saving to: `/dev/null'

100%[=====>] 21,868,840 6.11M/s in 3.4s

2011-12-01 11:54:42 (6.11 MB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [21868840/21868840]

• Seems like that's from SingTel (Singapore Telecommunications Ltd.), one of the more "prominent" ISP's here, though I wouldn't really trust them, I like StarHub more. And yes, I'm finally starting the launch of the LEB's in Singapore :3

• @Boltersdriveer:
    would be cool if you can do that. would like to do a review ;-) Any ETA on that?