Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

.Blog Domain Coming Soon
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

.Blog Domain Coming Soon

HostPaceHostPace Member
edited August 2016 in General

For more than a decade, the word “blog” has been synonymous with “your home on the web.” And since 2005, WordPress.com has been proud to help you create a unique space that is all yours.

Now we’re excited to announce a brand new way to create a unique identity for your website: .blog, a top-level domain extension that will let you create a customized name and web address for your site. For more read this out

Comments

• Great. More tlds.

• WHTWHT Member

Am tired of those crappy domain ending. .com its just good.

Thanked by 2perryoo11 Caster
  • IThinkUFailedIThinkUFailed Member
    edited August 2016

There are too many dumb domain extensions/tlds now...

• ..and still no .lowend.

• perryoo11perryoo11 Member
    edited August 2016

and still no .whocares

but its me i do like .com only.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2016

You will start caring when Google starts weighting relevance of your content with the extension.

Thanked by 3netomx doghouch cassa
  • They even have a .cricket tld. it's sound cool for cricket lovers as a game including me but a 7 character long tld? i mean seriously? Now they are finding it hard to even sell it for less thn $2/year

• IThinkUFailed said: dumb domain extensions

Occasionally I find it difficult to understand why there's NPO wasting money in establishing an TLD... for example, .cancerresearch.

• I stick with .com and top-level country (if applicable). All these new TLDs are garbage.

@Lee said:
    You will start caring when Google starts weighting relevance of your content with the extension.

I won't, no.

• @JustAMacUser said:
    I stick with .com and top-level country (if applicable). All these new TLDs are garbage.

.com, .org, .net, .gov, .edu, and top-level country.

• WebGuru said:

They even have a .cricket tld. it's sound cool for cricket lovers as a game including me but a 7 character long tld? i mean seriously? Now they are finding it hard to even sell it for less thn $2/year

There's .technology and a .tech, a .website and a .site. I am .stumped by their choices.

• karatekidmonkey said: ..and still no .lowend.

there's a .ovh though.

• Lee said: You will start caring when Google starts weighting relevance of your content with the extension.

They never will, because there's no Information Retrieval or any other reason for them to do that, from an informational point of view. Content on blah.blog may be more useful to end users than blah.com.

Though, if you're invested in the idea of money talks, you may take the philosophy that insurance.com belongs to a more relevant player than insurance.info. As far as I can tell, Google will never use such a blunt force ranking factor.

.blog seems like a decent TLD, of all the new ones. The 'blogosphere' is a highly relevant part of day to day activity on the web, and where a lot of people acquire links, and therefore relevance.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • LeeLee Veteran

Time will tell I guess, I can see a number of advantages to using domains to generate more accurate relevance in addition to content.

I think .blog is a good extension though, as you say it's a very relevant extension to a lot of current activity on the net.

• @Lee said:

We can finally close down all the crappy SEO sites

Thanked by 1Lee
  • Waiting for go.blog and shitty.blog to be available

Thanked by 1Lee
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited August 2016

doghouch said: We can finally close down all the crappy SEO sites

It's funny how many people are clueless about information architecture and the power a search engine has on traffic shaping and information bubbles, yet we get these quirky comment about 'crappy SEOs'. There are crappy SEOs but on the same note, there's plenty of crappy comments from people acting like they know any better, or perhaps on some anti-seo arse licking bandwagon.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • @ricardo said:

doghouch said: We can finally close down all the crappy SEO sites

It's funny how many people are clueless about information architecture and the power a search engine has on traffic shaping and information bubbles, yet we get these quirky comment about 'crappy SEOs'. There are crappy SEOs but on the same note, there's plenty of crappy comments from people acting like they know any better, or perhaps on some anti-seo arse licking bandwagon.

Explains why I get hundreds of emails a month from crap sites like Attracta. Supposedly, they'll all "list my site on Google." (even if it's already there...)