Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Part of a startup, but need to choose some VPS service, need some help to decide.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Part of a startup, but need to choose some VPS service, need some help to decide.

Asgard20032Asgard20032 Member
edited August 2016 in Help

Hi, I am part of a startup with some of my friend, and we need to get some VPS. I already have a list of some VPS we may be interested in : Digital Ocean, Vultr, Linode, Ramnode, Buyvm, Ovh

We need multiple VPS, because we will separate service :

• Website, does not need much power, maybe 512 mb ram will be enough

• Backend for some mobile application, does not need much power, but need to be able to scale up and down as our need evolve

• Logistic (redmine, jira or something like that + git/mercurial/svn + chat + wiki + forum + other), surely around 700mb - 2 gb ram for 10 user max

We also are also thinking to maybe have another Website and another Backend VPS, but charged hourly to do development without affecting the non development version. Maybe running only a 5 hour and less per week.

Performance wise, I already know that Digital Ocean is the slowest of the one I listed, while Ramnode and Vultr are probably the fasted (excluding Buyvm because in most comparison I saw, buyvm was not in those graph, so hard to compare).

But anyway, for development purpose (charged hourly) and logistic purpose, high performance is not an issue, so digital ocean is correct. But on the other hand, for our deployment version (official website and backend), performance need to be better.

So what I am thinking off is this layout :

• Website and backend -> Vultr/Ramnode/Buyvm/Linode/OVH (those have better performance and mroe for money)

• Logistic + Website development(hourly) + Backend development (hourly) -> digital ocean/vultr/linode (because those are more developper friendly, have some API for remote management, more easy snapshot, one click install, and other helping facility)

So now you see where I am going. But I am not sure if my layout is correct, and more importantly, what to choose? Any suggestion?

How does these VPS service compare, but not only performance wise, but also feature wise? Relliability? Support? All those thing they forget to tell because in comparison they are just focused on the performance.

Comments

• To be honest with you, performance differences between top level providers are pretty negligible. They all offer the same thing.

It really comes down to niche scenarios where one provider ends up being slightly better for specific geographic locations, or one provider offers a location closer to you. Feature wise all top providers are basically the same, with the exception of vultr having some extra stuff that's pretty cool like iso support and ddos protection.

At the end of the day, just choose any of them after using their speed tests to see which ones are the fastest for you and your target audience, then pick that one.

• Hey @jarland - we're all waiting for you guys to bring us ISO support... Until then I'm stuck with Vultr >:(

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited August 2016

Did they bring "run my own kernel" support, which doesn't include kexec hackery?
    Without this they can't really bring "ISO support".

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Why not stick with a large provider like AWS or Google Compute? (I'm assuming that the server costs will be a negligible part of the total expenses. I suppose this might not be true in some parts of the world?)

• use DO for dev box, its only $5/m.

for jira, git, wiki etc use linode 4 GB + auto backup.

for website Linode or ramnode

• perennate said: I'm assuming that the server costs will be a negligible part of the total expenses.

I would assume quite the opposite... most startups probably are very tight on budget or have no money at all. all they've got is an idea and more or less free manpower to try and create something from it.

• I've got recommend LunaNode they have lots of flexibility to grow your company. At prices much lower than AWS.

• Don't try to host your own git/mercury. Instead use github/bitbucket... or other services.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Sign up for BizSpark (Azure) startup program, you can get $150*5 per month in credits for 3 years for free.

• Asgard20032Asgard20032 Member
    edited August 2016

@khuongcomputer : We will host with bitbucket, free upt to 10 user. Why i said that was mostly to show what sort of purpose we will use that server for.

And yes, money is an issue. The startup leader don't really give server a priority on its economy plan, because he is more concerned with business side, and the idea. But on the other hand, I will be the guy charged with server, so I need to sell him the idea, and to convince him, it should not be at 50$ per month, we need to run at 30$ or less, at least for the beginning. Later on, when we will scale up, he will understand more the importance of our server, and we will maybe upgrade to more resource/more high end, like aws.

• imokimok Member

Hi @Asgard20032. I run Jira, Confluence and Minio on a Kimsufi KS-4C (16GB, 2TB, unlimited bandwith) without any downtime. I think it's the cheapest way you can go (if you are lucky). Other cheap alternatives for development are WholeSaleInternet, Hetzner and Nocix. Also, Virmach has a $39 dedicated server promo.

For better server management, install a hypervisor.

For the main website, I have a reseller hosting account.

• edited August 2016

Asgard20032 said: And yes, server is an issue. The startup leader don't really give server a priority on its economy plan, because he is more concerned with business side, and the idea. But on the other hand, I will be the guy charged with server, so I need to sell him the idea, and to convince him, it should not be at 50$ per month, we need to run at 30$ or less, at least for the beginning. Later on, when we will scale up, he will understand more the importance of our server, and we will maybe upgrade to more resource/more high end, like aws.

All VPS can be upgraded via single processes and only require a reboot. You can use them up to some points until it needed to upgrade to dedicated or higher end tier like aws.
    Just choose your favourite/trusted provider. All providers you mentioned are worth buying (but I won't choose OVH lol)

• @khuongcomputer said:

Asgard20032 said: And yes, server is an issue. The startup leader don't really give server a priority on its economy plan, because he is more concerned with business side, and the idea. But on the other hand, I will be the guy charged with server, so I need to sell him the idea, and to convince him, it should not be at 50$ per month, we need to run at 30$ or less, at least for the beginning. Later on, when we will scale up, he will understand more the importance of our server, and we will maybe upgrade to more resource/more high end, like aws.

All VPS can be upgraded via single processes and only require a reboot. You can use them up to some points until it needed to upgrade to dedicated or higher end tier like aws.
    Just choose your favourite/trusted provider. All providers you mentioned are worth buying (but I won't choose OVH lol)

I edited my post, server is an issue become money is an issue.

I only mentioned OVH because they got some cheap plan with lot of resource (OVH cloud ram), but I know that their support is bad.

• Oh forgot to mention, we are located in Canada (Quebec), so any north east USA or Canadian location is good. OVH by the way is situated less than 1 hour from our audience. (Beauharnois data center). But since we don't do any high computing thing, who care if the server is 2-7 drive hour from our location...

• @perennate said:
    Why not stick with a large provider like AWS or Google Compute? (I'm assuming that the server costs will be a negligible part of the total expenses. I suppose this might not be true in some parts of the world?)

As a startup company we've using AWS for a while it out to be very expensive if you are not careful enough. We once received a bill of $4000 for some storages

• @msg7086 said:
    As a startup company we've using AWS for a while it out to be very expensive if you are not careful enough. We once received a bill of $4000 for some storages

Well, "Rem", it is known that half-demon administrators aren't meant to be cloud devops :p

Thanked by 1msg7086
  • deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited August 2016

@Asgard20032 said:

>

I will be harsh but real because I think that your foolish behavior is just due to your age/inexperience. So consider this as advice without gloves.

Hi, I am part of a startup with some of my friend,

Are you really? Do you have a signed contract in your desk that spells out exactly your ownership, liabilities etc.?

and we need to get some VPS.

Ok.

@Asgard20032 said:
    And yes, money is an issue. The startup leader don't really give server a priority on its economy plan, because he is more concerned with business side, and the idea.

Suppose you're a taxi driver. Does it matter if you choose to give priority over the rental of the actual car? It's binary. You either need a server or you do not. If you do, then it has to get paid for. That doesn't get "wished away" and it certainly does not require selling it as an idea.

So maybe all the things that are needed are not really needed - but they're "we should have that!" kind of game for you personally?

That's the better option. Because the alternative is that the "leader" has the business skill of a hamster. Which would then beg the question, wtf are you doing with him?

But on the other hand, I will be the guy charged with server, so I need to sell him the idea, and to convince him, it should not be at 50$ per month, we need to run at 30$ or less, at least for the beginning.

You live in f*cking Canada. You are a team of at least 2. You can't afford $50/month? Seriously? Aren't there any cars that need washing in Canada?

We need multiple VPS, because we will separate service :

• Website, does not need much power, maybe 512 mb ram will be enough

• Backend for some mobile application, does not need much power, but need to be able to scale up and down as our need evolve

• Logistic (redmine, jira or something like that + git/mercurial/svn + chat + wiki + forum + other), surely around 700mb - 2 gb ram for 10 user max

Now let's assume that you absolutely can't wash cars and need to budget down. Great.

• Get a $7/month VPS from a LET provider that is reasonably oversold. That will cover the website and the back-end. You won't need to "scale" before being able to afford $50/m anyway.
    • All those "we'll self-host" things can be found for free and hosted. The Bitbucket site is the place to start.

I already have a list of some VPS we may be interested in : Digital Ocean, Vultr, Linode, Ramnode, Buyvm, Ovh

You need to value your time more. Get the $7/m LET VPS, start working and forget about all the nice toys.

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited August 2016

go for OVH public cloud in BHS then. add some cheap VPS SSD to your cloud, 2 GB RAM KVM for 2,99 for your smaller servers, and something bigger which fits in your budget for the third part.

they are scalable, snapshots are cheap, you can add diskspace etc. all under $30 for sure, short distance, big reliable provider...

even another server for development/testing at 2,99 comes in cheap, or you choose hourly billing and deploy each time you need it to try and save some cents etc.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

For your development, you are aware that, quite rightly so, providers will charge you for a VM that is shutdown and not destroyed, right?

So each time you'll be building this, it will be from scratch or the stored snapshot.

Just some food for thought :-).

• @Clouvider said:
    For your development, you are aware that, quite rightly so, providers will charge you for a VM that is shutdown and not destroyed, right?

So each time you'll be building this, it will be from scratch or the stored snapshot.

Just some food for thought :-).

Already know that. There are some that won't charge, like heroku or Azure, because they are more about application than time than instance, even if we can do instance with Azure.

• @Clouvider said:

yes you are right indeed. hence why I said 'to save some cents'

OVH actually charges 0.01 € per GB and month on snapshots within their public cloud range and finally they also are doing some compression or sparse on the snapshots which gets calculated in. yet they do charge those snapshots on an hourly or maximum daily base - hard to tell by the cents...

that said if you hold a snapshot of their smallest SSD VPS it would most probably be less than 0.10 € per month, I'd say much affordable ;-)

but keep in mind that they charge double price on the instance itself if you choose hourly - yet only a model if you really need it only once or twice a week for a few hours and really must spare on the last buck...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Check our slices out, they're pretty bitchin'. Performance is excellent with you getting dedicated E3 threads depending on your budget. Even at a small budget you'd get 1GB - 2GB RAM for < $10/month on KVM w/ free windows and the likes.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Junkless

Falzo said: I would assume quite the opposite... most startups probably are very tight on budget or have no money at all. all they've got is an idea and more or less free manpower to try and create something from it.

Then how are they going to pay salaries? Hah. I mean, from his requirements, it will be <$100/mo on AWS.

• @perennate said:

Then how are they going to pay salaries? Hah. I mean, from his requirements, it will be <$100/mo on AWS.

They'd try to do the work on their own or involve other people by giving out shares of their birtually valuable business ;-)

That's what you do with a startup, convincing other of your idea/project so that you can build something from nothing, isnt it...

Falzo said: or involve other people by giving out shares of their birtually valuable business ;-)

And they can use that money to pay for servers.

• With logistics, gitlab seems ideal :).

• Buy some cheap dedicated with 8gb or more RAM. then slice it up to few VM's

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited August 2016

@deadbeef said:

@msg7086 said:

Well, "Rem", it is known that half-demon administrators aren't meant to be cloud devops :p

# Not-my-department

• @Asgard20032 said:
    We also are also thinking to maybe have another Website and another Backend VPS, but charged hourly to do development without affecting the non development version. Maybe running only a 5 hour and less per week.

Koding and nitrous.io provide space for this sort of thing, start free and only charge for uptime iirc. Downside is you CANT leave them running and log off.