Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review] ConoHa
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Review] ConoHa

BlaveloperBlaveloper Member
edited August 2016 in Reviews

Why this review?

After more than 6 months of using ConoHa as my main server provider, I would like to review a very unusual provider.
Why is it unusual? Because it's a relatively cheap VPS provider based in Japan.
And as far as I can see, LowEndBox has no Japanese VPS providers listed, assuming nobody is using one from the said country.

What do they offer?

All plans come with a 50 GB SSD, but it's upgradeable to 250 GB or 550 GB SSD in addition to the 50 GB you already get.
However, these are additional costs per month.
Other than that, their cheapest option comes with 1 GB of RAM and a 2 core CPU (most expensive one offers 64 GB RAM and 24 core CPU, but that's not affordable for many of us, and thus I will stop discussing about that package from this point).

What actually annoyed me at first is that they don't say how much bandwidth you get a month.
Seeing you practically pay per hour, I sent them an email about that.
At night, I've got a reply (in Japanese) that there is no bandwidth limit a month.
However, their up- and download speed is quite low: 100 Mbps.
When running a couple of speed tests, I can confirm it's indeed 100 Mbps for both download and upload speeds.

They also provide server hosting in the USA and Singapore for a higher price per month, but I never tested those.

Speed

The websites I run on their servers work really well, but it's a good idea to set up a VPN server on one of their VPS servers if you plan to use SSH a lot, especially those of you in west-Europe or east-USA.
Because I have experienced lots of lag over SSH at first, but after setting up a SoftEther VPN on another server I have with them, the lag has disappeared by at least 70%.

Support

This may be a pain for most of you here, because even though their website and control panel are both available in quite decently written English, they often offer support in Japanese only (or Engrish if you're lucky).
Besides that, the notifications on their control panel are only in Japanese and there's no way to change that to English.
Strangely, their email notifications regarding your current balance is in English.

It's worth to note that I can speak English to a fairly high level, so I don't mind this myself.
I tend to send support requests in both languages just in case, but they usually only reply in Japanese (as I already said, I've got a reply back in Engrish in some cases, though it's not as bad as it may sound).

Control Panel

They offer the best control panel I've seen in a while.
Their dashboard is very simple: it shows your account balance, your bill until now, and all your servers with their status and configuration.
You can control your servers through a shell they offer, but they can be quite slow, so it's better to use a SSH client instead.
There's also an option to make a backup image of your server, they offer you up to 50 GB of storage per location (Tokyo, Singapore, and USA), the backups are stored on the location your VPS is located in.

You can configure your VPS at any time (given they're shutdown of course), each option you click will re-calculate your price per month instantly, which is really nice.
And they offer lots of pre-made server images with OS's of multiple versions.
If you want to have services (LAMP, etc.) or applications (WordPress, etc.) pre-installed, your only option would be the latest version of CentOS.

They offer a whole lot more there, such as DNS, SSH keys, object storage, private networks, etc., but I never used those myself.

Their control panel is set to English by default, but can also be set to Japanese, Chinese and Korean.

Despite being a jQuery-heavy control panel, it's actually very responsive and quick.

Balance

Instead of paying them every month, they have a balance you need to load whenever it pleases you.
You can load your account balance by credit card, PayPal, bank payment, Allpay, and prepaid cards from convenient stores such as 7-Eleven, Lawson, Family Mart, among others.
It's worth to know that most payment options won't work for non-Japanese citizens, so PayPal is the way to go here.

Verdict

Though it's not the best VPS provider I ever tried, I still think this is a very good VPS provider if you need a server in Japan.
The specs are very good for what you get for only 900 Yen a month (around 8.99 US Dollars), and the fact the bandwidth is unmetred by default makes it definitely worth a try.
But keep in mind that unless you live in or near Japan, SSH connection will be slow and support will most likely be in Japanese.

You can find their English website here: https://www.conoha.jp/en/

Thanked by 1rm_

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

Oh look, fake review.

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • BlaveloperBlaveloper Member
    edited August 2016

@Lee said:
    Oh look, fake review.

Why do you think it's a fake review?

looks legit for me.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • What are your score. I only see what you think but we wanna see picture with benchmarks.

Your vps looks bad so far.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2016

I kiss you for not putting your referral link at the end.

And yeah, ConoHa is pretty nice, especially for us anime and manga fans, how can you not like a provider who does this: https://www.conoha.jp/conoha/

Thanked by 1thatix
  • @rm_ said:
    I kiss you for not putting your referral link at the end.

And yeah, ConoHa is pretty nice, especially for us anime and manga fans, how can you not like a provider who does this: https://www.conoha.jp/conoha/

That's (somewhat) obsessive advertising... :P

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

No, that's simply Japan.

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited August 2016

Actually, the OP could have wrote a legit review... https://twitter.com/blaveloper & https://www.076.wtf/

Why are all new users writing fake reviews?

Thanked by 2Blaveloper doghouch
  • @MrGeneral said:
    Actually, the OP could have wrote a legit review... https://twitter.com/blaveloper

Why are all new users writing fake reviews?

It's a lot easier to type "wow fake review first post" rather than not type anything at all for some. If people would even take time to look at his profile, hes already introduced himself as a member's here long time friend.

This is a really good 2nd post, though.

Thanked by 2Blaveloper MikePT
  • miaumiau Member

How is this compared to Linode japan server?

• Thanks @MrGeneral and @daily, I'm glad finally people showed up that aren't shitposters like most of the above.
    Seriously, I was tempted to write some very negative thoughts about this forum in the introduction topic now, glad at least you 2 proved me wrong here before I would say anything.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

@Blaveloper said:
    Thanks @MrGeneral and @daily, I'm glad finally people showed up that aren't shitposters like most of the above.
    Seriously, I was tempted to write some very negative thoughts about this forum in the introduction topic now, glad at least you 2 proved me wrong here before I would say anything.

OH NO, HE WAS GOING TO WRITE NEGATIVE THOUGHTS!!!!1!1!

Seriously though, don't be a fucking pussy. Also, never, agree with @MrGeneral, he's widely regarded to be awful.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • Blaveloper said: However, their up- and download speed is quite low: 100 Mbps

You... what? Did Japan move out of Asia and i missed something? Did you see the upstream capacity of some countries there?

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • I have used them for 2 months and here are what I found

• Yes, they stated the traffic is unmetered but keep in mind if you are constantly pushing over 20Mbps , you are very likely to be limited to 512Kbps in/out for 24hours.
      That's so-called marketing I guess.

• You can send them mail in English/Chinese/Japanese/Korean, they can understand.

• Keep in mind that they will lock and delete your VM if you are attacked, so back up your data and using a CDN/reverse proxy to mask the IP

• the performance is great, one of the best I've ever seen, way more better than atom stuff such as KS1

Note: Their control panel may not be as useful as DO's, but you would love it if you love anime just as

@rm_ said:

Remember to visit settings to turn it on :)

@Nekki said:

@Blaveloper said:
    Thanks @MrGeneral and @daily, I'm glad finally people showed up that aren't shitposters like most of the above.

OH NO, HE WAS GOING TO WRITE NEGATIVE THOUGHTS!!!!1!1!

Seriously though, don't be a fucking pussy. Also, never, agree with @MrGeneral, he's widely regarded to be awful.

Come on @Nekki. Don't hurt my feelings :p

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@MrGeneral said:

You know as well as I do the only thing that hurts your feelings is spending money.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@Nekki said:

@MrGeneral said:

You know as well as I do the only thing that hurts your feelings is spending money.

That, and having to repair my car. Which leds to... Money. :p

• @Blaveloper said:
    Why this review?

After more than 6 months of using ConoHa as my main server provider, I would like to review a very unusual provider.
    Why is it unusual? Because it's a relatively cheap VPS provider based in Japan.
    And as far as I can see, LowEndBox has no Japanese VPS providers listed, assuming nobody is using one from the said country.

What do they offer?

All plans come with a 50 GB SSD, but it's upgradeable to 250 GB or 550 GB SSD in addition to the 50 GB you already get.
    However, these are additional costs per month.
    Other than that, their cheapest option comes with 1 GB of RAM and a 2 core CPU (most expensive one offers 64 GB RAM and 24 core CPU, but that's not affordable for many of us, and thus I will stop discussing about that package from this point).

What actually annoyed me at first is that they don't say how much bandwidth you get a month.
    Seeing you practically pay per hour, I sent them an email about that.
    At night, I've got a reply (in Japanese) that there is no bandwidth limit a month.
    However, their up- and download speed is quite low: 100 Mbps.
    When running a couple of speed tests, I can confirm it's indeed 100 Mbps for both download and upload speeds.

They also provide server hosting in the USA and Singapore for a higher price per month, but I never tested those.

Speed

The websites I run on their servers work really well, but it's a good idea to set up a VPN server on one of their VPS servers if you plan to use SSH a lot, especially those of you in west-Europe or east-USA.
    Because I have experienced lots of lag over SSH at first, but after setting up a SoftEther VPN on another server I have with them, the lag has disappeared by at least 70%.

Support

This may be a pain for most of you here, because even though their website and control panel are both available in quite decently written English, they often offer support in Japanese only (or Engrish if you're lucky).
    Besides that, the notifications on their control panel are only in Japanese and there's no way to change that to English.
    Strangely, their email notifications regarding your current balance is in English.

It's worth to note that I can speak English to a fairly high level, so I don't mind this myself.
    I tend to send support requests in both languages just in case, but they usually only reply in Japanese (as I already said, I've got a reply back in Engrish in some cases, though it's not as bad as it may sound).

Control Panel

They offer the best control panel I've seen in a while.
    Their dashboard is very simple: it shows your account balance, your bill until now, and all your servers with their status and configuration.
    You can control your servers through a shell they offer, but they can be quite slow, so it's better to use a SSH client instead.
    There's also an option to make a backup image of your server, they offer you up to 50 GB of storage per location (Tokyo, Singapore, and USA), the backups are stored on the location your VPS is located in.

You can configure your VPS at any time (given they're shutdown of course), each option you click will re-calculate your price per month instantly, which is really nice.
    And they offer lots of pre-made server images with OS's of multiple versions.
    If you want to have services (LAMP, etc.) or applications (WordPress, etc.) pre-installed, your only option would be the latest version of CentOS.

They offer a whole lot more there, such as DNS, SSH keys, object storage, private networks, etc., but I never used those myself.

Their control panel is set to English by default, but can also be set to Japanese, Chinese and Korean.

Despite being a jQuery-heavy control panel, it's actually very responsive and quick.

Balance

Instead of paying them every month, they have a balance you need to load whenever it pleases you.
    You can load your account balance by credit card, PayPal, bank payment, Allpay, and prepaid cards from convenient stores such as 7-Eleven, Lawson, Family Mart, among others.
    It's worth to know that most payment options won't work for non-Japanese citizens, so PayPal is the way to go here.

Verdict

Though it's not the best VPS provider I ever tried, I still think this is a very good VPS provider if you need a server in Japan.
    The specs are very good for what you get for only 900 Yen a month (around 8.99 US Dollars), and the fact the bandwidth is unmetred by default makes it definitely worth a try.
    But keep in mind that unless you live in or near Japan, SSH connection will be slow and support will most likely be in Japanese.

You can find their English website here: https://www.conoha.jp/en/
    @MrGeneral said:

@Nekki said:

@MrGeneral said:

That, and having to repair my car. Which leds to... Money. :p
    @Lee said:
    Oh look, fake review.

How fake is this!!!!!!!!!!!!

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Wat

Didn't get it as well, maybe we hurted his feelings

• LeeLee Veteran

@zahid2funhost _ Can't take you serious with that name.