Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need to Hire: Content writers - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need to Hire: Content writers

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@jbiloh said:

@joepie91 said:
    Are you interested in high-quality technical articles (under an open-source license) that are paid hourly? At say, $35/hr, around topics of your choice.

I already suggested this in the 'respun content' thread, but I don't believe there was ever a response to that over there.

(Some writing samples: 1, 2, some more brief server management-type things: 3, 4, and a reading-list type article: 5.)

Help me better understand what you mean by open source license with content. Our preference is it be unique to leb.

The articles would have to be available under a license that complies with the Open Source Definition. For non-software, that usually means one of the OSD-compliant Creative Commons licenses: Attribution, Attribution-ShareAlike, or Zero.

What this means in practice is that the content is written for LowEndBox (on topics of your choice), but readers would be allowed to reuse the content elsewhere for redistribution and 'remixing' (ie. derivative works).

• CC Zero (CC0): You can do anything with it, and don't need to give credit.
    • CC Attribution (CC-BY): You can do anything with it, but you need to credit the original author(s) / publishers, in the way they've indicated (so eg. "By Sven Slootweg, published originally on <a src='...'>LowEndBox</a>")
    • CC Attribution-ShareAlike (CC-BY-SA): You can do anything with it, but you need to credit the original source (see above), and any derivative works must be under the same CC-BY-SA license.
  • jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@joepie91

Thanks for the details that is helpful. Shoot me an email at [email protected] and let's talk further.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@MrGeneral said:
    10-40USD won't be enough to find quality articles.

True but I don't think it's fair to make the site compete against DO/Linode pay outs given that both of them are heavily VC/Bank funded at this point.

Francisco

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited September 2016

@Francisco said:

@MrGeneral said:
    10-40USD won't be enough to find quality articles.

True but I don't think it's fair to make the site compete against DO/Linode pay outs given that both of them are heavily VC/Bank funded at this point.

Francisco

I'm not sure where fair comes into it - if you want a well-researched, well-written article, you can't expect people to do it for peanuts, it's a simple as that. Random articles at $20 a pop aren't going to make the impact that the owners are looking for.

Nekki said: I'm not sure where fair comes into it - if you want a well-researched, well-written article, you can't expect people to do it for peanuts, it's a simple as that. Random articles at $20 a pop aren't going to make the impact that he owners are looking for.

Very true, the problem is that if you go through the LEB tutorials a good half of them are probably an hour or so of work, so getting $40 out of what is quite possibly a rehash of another article isn't bad pay.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

Very true, the problem is that if you go through the LEB tutorials a good half of them are probably an hour or so of work, so getting $40 out of what is quite possibly a rehash of another article isn't bad pay.

Francisco

Well that assumes that CC want any old shit. If they do, then you're right, $40 is decent and I could make myself an easy few quid knocking up basic tutorials in 30 minutes or so.

The point we're making is that if CC don't want any old shit, they need to be prepared to increase their budget.

@Nekki said:

@Francisco said:

Francisco

Well that assumes that CC want any old shit. If they do, then you're right, $40 is decent and I could make myself an easy few quid knocking up basic tutorials in 30 minutes or so.

The point we're making is that if CC don't want any old shit, they need to be prepared to increase their budget.

Fair enough :)

It's a hard one and if LEB's frontpage ads are made up mostly of @jbiloh moving money between his own pockets, then I can understand his tight budget.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

It's a hard one and if LEB's frontpage ads are made up mostly of @jbiloh moving money between his own pockets, then I can understand his tight budget.

Francisco

It's all down to how much they want to turn around LEB really. Time will tell I guess.

• Hi, @jbiloh I've already sent 2 articles to @SysAdmin but he looks really busy

@relook said:
    Hi, @jbiloh I've already sent 2 articles to @SysAdmin but he looks really busy

Thanks for your contributions, we appreciate it.

Nekki said: It's all down to how much they want to turn around LEB really. Time will tell I guess.

We remain very much dedicated. Thanks for your time in our email discussions.

Nekki said: The point we're making is that if CC don't want any old shit, they need to be prepared to increase their budget.

Yes, quality is what we're after. We've hired someone today to help take the lead with this. Still public contributions would be much appreciated and paid for. We're not looking for any freebies. :)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@jbiloh said:
    @joepie91

Thanks for the details that is helpful. Shoot me an email at [email protected] and let's talk further.

E-mail sent :)

• relookrelook Member
    edited September 2016

Just for the public record :

Because the way you handled all this I decided not contribute to LET/LEB.

Pleases do not publish any of the articles I've sent you.

Thanks for your cooperation.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@relook said:
    Just for the public record :

Because the way you handled all this I decided not contribute to LET/LEB.

Pleases do not publish any of the articles I sent you.

Thanks for your cooperation.

The way they handled what? If we may know.

• relookrelook Member
    edited September 2016

@MrGeneral said: The way they handled what? If we may know.

The way they manage this articles "thing", and I used the word "thing"

Because I do not know any professional expression to describe it!

When I found this post I sent @SysAdmin a PM, I also sent him a sample article.

then we talked over IRC chat.

He asked me about the subjects I can write about, I told him that I write

Articles/guides about Openstack, AWS, Linux, Virtualmin.

He Told me that he is interested in all of these subjects, and that he want several articles

per month, I told him I can do that, then I sent him an article about OpenStack Mitaka.

Two days later he sent an email saying that the article has many grammar errors, so I

Reviewed, edited it and then sent it again just 24 hours later.

This time he told me that he will review it, few days later he asked me about

The price I want and my response was "it's up to you, I trust your judgment"

I also told him that I'm finishing 2 articles both are in the Openstack series I am working on

His response was "great" So I sent him the second article.

On August 31 (8 days after he received my first article) he told me that the article will

Be published soon..............................................=> a week later (September 7th)

I sent him an email asking if there are any news regarding the 2 article he got from me

and hi response was "I did not have the time to look at this, I will do it soon"

So again this nice word "soon"!

OK, I waited ...and waited... but he did not contact me at all. Then, I saw @jbiloh new

comment on the post so I contacted him asking if he has any news, this was on

September 13, he asked me to resend the articles to him! I sent them to him and he told

Me that he will discuss it with "Alex" ... I did not understand what will they discuss

After 23 days but once again I waited.

The next day I asked him about the situation and he told me that he has no idea!!

24 days of "soon" and then he has no idea!

So I decided that It was a mistake from the beginning and I sent them telling them that

I do not want to contribute to LEB anymore.

Just few points:

• Alex asked me to talk directly after he got my sample article so he has an idea

About what I write.

• Alex asked me about the price, you do not ask someone about the price of something

You do not like or you do not want.

• Alex told me that the article will be published soon ... you do not publish or promise

to publish something you do not like or do not want!

• At any point of time Alex could have told me that he did not like/want the articles

This is the "professional" way to do it, but he did not for 24 days, in fact he did the

opposite.

• Even when I sent them both a massage telling them that i do not want my article

Published they did not give me any response!

A friend advised me against contributing to LEB but I said what a hell, let's try!

He proved to be 100% right!

Thanked by 1MikePT

@relook, we appreciate and understand that English may not be your first language, and we are sensitive to that. Unfortunately, the content provided was difficult to read and decipher.

We very much appreciate your time and efforts and thank you for contributing.

• @relook I don't intend to be a jerk, but they're looking for professional articles as mentioned and you can't even properly write a post here complaining about them. What did you expect? Frontality? Here you have it, but they probably just wanted to keep you as a last resource for 7$ per article ;)

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • relookrelook Member
    edited September 2016

@jbiloh said:
    @relook, we appreciate and understand that English may not be your first language, and we are sensitive to that. Unfortunately, the content provided was difficult to read and decipher.

We very much appreciate your time and efforts and thank you for contributing.

Great, and you needed 24 days to come to this result? 24 days!? were the articles

Written in hieroglyphic!? Most of the article is Just Linux and Openstack CLI commands...

The first thing I did was sending him a sample article, after he got it he contacted me

So if he did not like my "poor" English why did he contact me!?_

And if it is "difficult to read and decipher" why did ALex asked about the price?

Why did he say clearly that the article will be published soon ???

Was he going to publish them with subtitles?!

@luissousa said:
    @relook I don't intend to be a jerk, but they're looking for professional articles as mentioned and you can't even properly write a post here complaining about them. What did you expect? Frontality? Here you have it, but they probably just wanted to keep you as a last resource for 7$ per article ;)

As for you @luissousa, do you consider this behavior professional?!

How can you judge the content of the articles if have never seen them?

And super articles for 10$? really? did you have a look at what they already have on the

Tutorial section of LEB? Even the fresh articles are just copies (copy&Past) of other sites like DO!

Of course I understand that Alex and jbiloh are both "admins" but

Still some fairness would be great!

• luissousaluissousa Member
    edited September 2016

@relook said:

@luissousa said:
    @relook I don't intend to be a jerk, but they're looking for professional articles as mentioned and you can't even properly write a post here complaining about them. What did you expect? Frontality? Here you have it, but they probably just wanted to keep you as a last resource for 7$ per article ;)

As for you @luissousa, do you consider this behavior professional?!

How can you judge the content of the articles if have never seen them?

And super hieroglyphic for 10$? really? did you have a look at what they already have on the

Tutorial section of LEB? Even the fresh articles are just copies (copy&Past) of other sites like DO!

Of course I understand that Alex and jbiloh are both "admins" but

Still some fairness would be great!

I didn't say I consider their behavior professional. We're talking about Colocrossing, the ones who are promising IPv6 since I was born.

I'm not judging your articles' content; I'm judging your writing. If you're not able to write English properly, you're not able to write a professional article.

• relookrelook Member
    edited September 2016

@luissousa and any one else! Here is the first article, please check my hieroglyphic!

filehosting.org/file/details/601852/Mitaka_installation_SSH_edited.docx

I do not mind sharing my articles because -as I said to Alex- it's not the about money

For me...

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited September 2016

Am I the only one who's siding with @relook?

relook said: Articles/guides about Openstack, AWS, Linux, Virtualmin.

We're talking about interesting and useful articles. Not basic "things" as we read on LEB.
    Despite the articles having many grammar errors, we could have helped him. He did put his offer and it seems he wasn't rewarded as so.

I too don't think this is going to work. Both @jbiloh and @SysAdmin simply do not care.

I wouldn't care to contribute to LEB. It's CC mostly. Check their coupon "thing", first company, it's a CC client. Hilarious to say the least.
    There's only LET for me. LEB doesn't exist anymore, at all.

@relook, I wish people would appreciate your work. Even though it's not about the money, you did invest your time writing those. Treating a LET member like this, who done his best to contribute, isn't right.

Thanked by 1relook
  • MrGeneral said: Am I the only one who's siding with @relook?

I don't think anyone's disputing that this has been handled very poorly.

Thanked by 3relook MikePT luissousa
  • @MrGeneral Thanks for the support it really means a lot to me ....

And I really wanted to contribute to LEB/LET regardless of the money

I was even working on a 5 minutes AWS and Openstack videos that I was ready to

Share and I told Alex so ...

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • 24 days to tell someone that they don't like their work? That's just rude and unprofessional to say the least.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • relookrelook Member
    edited September 2016

@DarioX said:
    24 days to tell someone that they don't like their work? That's just rude and unprofessional to say the least.

Actually it's even worse! The article was clearly accepted at first then it suddenly became

"difficult to read and decipher" for some reason!

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @relook said:

@DarioX said:
    24 days to tell someone that they don't like their work? That's just rude and unprofessional to say the least.

Actually it's even worse! The article was clearly accepted at first then it suddenly became

"difficult to read and decipher" for some reason!

Did that happen after you mentioned your price by any chance?

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @teamacc siad: Did that happen after you mentioned your price by any chance?

Actually it happened after I said that I do not care about money and that I leave

The price for him! maybe this was the wrong answer!

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • @relook

Sorry, it is what it is. I don't have the time to curate and rewrite your articles for you and then pay for them.

@MrGeneral

Are you bipolar? What is wrong with you? A couple days ago you were all about contributing, I talked to you and you were totally into it. Now your unloading on the forum over something you've got nothing to do with.

Lose my contact, I'm done with you.

Thanked by 1mpkossen
  • relookrelook Member
    edited September 2016

@SysAdmin Sorry, it is what it is. I don't have the time to curate and rewrite your articles for you and then pay for them.

1- I would never ask you to rewrite anything simply because I do not think that you have the

Knowledge nor the experience to edit an article on Openstack or AWS! It's harder than

Copying from DO's knowledge-base (something you do on regular bases!)

2- If you have the most basic professional ethics you would have told me from the very

Start that my articles are not good enough for you, it would be laughable but at least

respectful! do you know what is the meaning of respectful?? maybe English is not your

first language too and this is why it took you 24 days to decrypt my "poorly written" articles!

3- It's a shame to see that a man who should be a leader in this community can not

or would not say the simple truth...

• @relook said:

@SysAdmin Sorry, it is what it is. I don't have the time to curate and rewrite your articles for you and then pay for them.

1- I would never ask you to rewrite anything simply because I do not think that you have the

Knowledge nor the experience to edit an article on Openstack or AWS! It's harder than

Copying from DO's knowledge-base (something you do on regular bases!)

2- If you have the most basic professional ethics you would have told me from the very

Start that my articles are not good enough for you, it would be laughable but at least

respectful! do you know what is the meaning of respectful?? maybe English is not your

first language too and this is why it took you 24 days to decrypt my "poorly written" articles!

3- It's a shame to see that a man who should be a leader in this community can not

or would not say the simple truth...

He isn't saying anything about the content. Stop changing the subject. Your grammar is not up to par, and correcting it and then paying you for it makes no sense.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited September 2016

SysAdmin said: Sorry, it is what it is. I don't have the time to curate and rewrite your articles for you and then pay for them.

Which is absolutely fair enough.

However, it looks like @relook's complaint is that he was lead to believe that there wasn't issue and was strung along for the best part of a month (including discussions around payment), rather than simply being told the standard wasn't high enough.

Thanked by 2relook joepie91
This discussion has been closed.