Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need small vps just for ssh and only ssh.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need small vps just for ssh and only ssh.

miaumiau Member
edited August 2016 in Requests

Ok, I'm bad at story telling, but hey, please try harder to understand me okay.

1. My University start blocking all but http/s port. Now I can only communicate to outside world using only port 80 and 443. This hits me hard because I have array of servers to manage.

2. The firewall they use is smart enough to reject encrypted traffic on 80, so the only option left is 443. All my existing servers are using 443 for https.

3. The only option is to proxy the ssh (or whatever the term is) from one server that run ssh on 443.

4. tl;dr, I need:

• an exceptionally cheap (probably just paying mainly for IP), dumb VPS with bare minimum to run ssh/sshd, preferably low ping to Asia.
  • -access to port 443,
  • -reasonable amount of traffic for occasional tunneling and scp/sftp.
  • -Reliable, doesn't suck in term of uptime. when I need to hook on ssh, means it is important and it has to be ready anytime.

Any suggestion?

Comments

• miaumiau Member

$12 a year for a glorified 256mb ssh proxy still feels too expensive I afraid.
    I could use much lower offering.

• edited August 2016

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/83364/cheap-vps-64mb-5gb-1ipv4-250gb-at-1-99-a-year

I currently use such a box for my SSH, installed Shellinabox so everything is communicated over HTTPS w/ Let's Encrypt.

Got it hooked to my Tinc network with avahi to resolve the .local hostnames, making it easy for me to just login into just about any server with for example "ssh [email protected]".

I can literally run 5 sessions just fine.

Best $1.99 I've ever spent, if there will be downtime it would be notified and when it's up, you have to manually turn on TUN/TAP and PPP though (in the control panel).

Don't expect any support, and reinstalls are paid, but still a good value.

Thanked by 1miau
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited August 2016

miau said: $12 a year for a glorified 256mb ssh proxy still feels too expensive I afraid. I could use much lower offering.

Yes, for sure... But you would be down with THE ISHAAAAQ. You know. Priceless sensation. ;-)

Thanked by 1Ishaq
  • exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited August 2016

@miau said:
    All my existing servers are using 443 for https

you can try this http://blog.chmd.fr/ssh-over-ssl-episode-4-a-haproxy-based-configuration.html

• miaumiau Member

@theroyalstudent said:
    https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/83364/cheap-vps-64mb-5gb-1ipv4-250gb-at-1-99-a-year

I currently use such a box for my SSH, installed Shellinabox so everything is communicated over HTTPS w/ Let's Encrypt.

Got it hooked to my Tinc network with avahi to resolve the .local hostnames, making it easy for me to just login into just about any server with for example "ssh [email protected]".

Best $1.99 I've ever spent, if there will be downtime it would be notified and when it's up, you have to manually turn on TUN/TAP and PPP though (in the control panel).

Thanks! this is exactly what im looking for.
    What is the kernel version it running on?

• WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
    edited August 2016

Well, renting a vps for SSH relay (for lack of better term) sounds like an overkill no matter how I view it.

Some possible workaround:

1. Do all your 'array of server' run service on port 443? if not just tell sshd of one of the server to listen at port 443. Problem solved.

2. If all of your server are running service at port 443. Buy new/use an unused IP for sshd to listen at port 443.

3. Port sharing can also work for scenario above

4. Use VPN.

5. Host this ssh relay at home router or raspberry pi.

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • @miau said:

@theroyalstudent said:

Thanks! this is exactly what im looking for.
    What is the kernel version it running on?

Last login: Sun Aug  7 05:28:27 EDT 2016 from 127.0.0.1, [redacted] on pts/3                                                          
    Welcome to Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS (GNU/Linux 2.6.32-39-pve x86_64)                                                                          

* Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com/                                                                                             
    New release '16.04.1 LTS' available.                                                                                                    
    Run 'do-release-upgrade' to upgrade to it.                                                                                              

theroyalstudent@sea1:~$                                                                                                                 

• edited August 2016

@WhizzWr said:
    Well, buying a vps sounds for SSH relay (for lack of better term) sounds like an overkill no matter how I view it.

>

1. Do all your 'array of server' run service on port 443? if not just tell tgge sshd of one of the server to listen at port 443. Problem solved.

>

1. If all of your server are running service at port 443. Buy new/use an unused IP for sshd to listen at port 443

>

1. Port sharing can also work for scenario above

To add on, port sharing is possible with sslh.

https://github.com/yrutschle/sslh

Used it before, didn't work since my school conducts DPI on all our packets - this way, shellinabox is still the best thing to do.

1. Use VPN.
    2. Host this ssh relay at home router or raspberry pi.

More expensive it seems? Some home routers don't allow that functionality, raspberry pis probably cost more than a $2/yr investment.

• WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
    edited August 2016

@theroyalstudent said:

@WhizzWr said:
    Well, buying a vps sounds for SSH relay (for lack of better term) sounds like an overkill no matter how I view it.

>

1. Do all your 'array of server' run service on port 443? if not just tell tgge sshd of one of the server to listen at port 443. Problem solved.

>

1. If all of your server are running service at port 443. Buy new/use an unused IP for sshd to listen at port 443

>

Used it before, didn't work since my school conducts DPI on all our packets - this way, shellinabox is still the best thing to do.

1. Use VPN.

More expensive it seems? Some home routers don't allow that functionality, raspberry pis probably cost more than a $2/yr investment.

Wow first time I heard school is doing DPI.

3 and 4 are under assumption the equipments are already there.

VPN can be setup on any of op's existing server. I guess vpn service with single active user shouldn't cause any issue on production server.

even cheapass router can run openwrt.

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • @WhizzWr said:

@theroyalstudent said:

@WhizzWr said:

>

>

>

1. Use VPN.

Wow first time I heard school is doing DPI.

All our connections here (even at home) are subject to DPI either way, but if that's how they want to keep us "safe", that's fine.

Well, when the school is living on the Government's funds for these, it's all possible.

3 and 4 are under assumption the equipments are already there.

VPN can be setup on any of op's existing server. I guess vpn service with single active user shouldn't cause any issue on production server.

even cheapass router can run openwrt.

Edge situation could be:

• IPTV compatibility could break (if needed), since the config could be specific for the ISP.

OpenWRT is a good idea, though.

• miaumiau Member
    edited August 2016

@WhizzWr said:
    Well, renting a vps for SSH relay (for lack of better term) sounds like an overkill no matter how I view it.

1. Do all your 'array of server' run service on port 443? if not just tell sshd of one of the server to listen at port 443. Problem solved.
    2. If all of your server are running service at port 443. Buy new/use an unused IP for sshd to listen at port 443
    2. Port sharing can also work for scenario above
    3. Use VPN.
    4. Host this ssh relay at home router or raspberry pi.

I want to keep things simple as possible. It can be done with haproxy/sslh magic, but I don't like the idea of adding additional point of failure.

I much prefer to instead pay small amount of money to save me from headache.

Also, the the firewall has DPI that can recognize openVPN. They use some real good stuff up there.

• WhizzWrWhizzWr Member
    edited August 2016

I much prefer to instead pay small amount of money to save me from headache.

Well, case closed. I'd do the same admitably. But at this point I will consider $2/year vps to be potential point of failure anyway.

though, I still can't wrap around my head on why everyone is simply just accepting that DPI is okay thing to do in public institution.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited August 2016

@theroyalstudent

Get someone to build a huge WiFi antenna in Malaysia aimed at Singapore @ 1000% the legal broadcasting strength. Voila, you have slow, but unrestricted Internet.

Evade the DPI with Shadowsocks?

• @doghouch said:
    @theroyalstudent

Get someone to build a huge WiFi antenna in Malaysia aimed at Singapore @ 1000% the legal broadcasting strength. Voila, you have slow, but unrestricted Internet.

Evade the DPI with Shadowsocks?

Not sure if it's really unrestricted, they don't have the best government I must say. Corruption is rampant.

No thanks too, I prefer having my internet to come without FUP.

• miau said: I want to keep things simple as possible. It can be done with haproxy/sslh magic, but I don't like the idea of adding additional point of failure.

Try Wetty as an alternate to ShellInaBox. Can run behind nginx, uses websockets and is a NodeJS app.

If the firewall has DPI it could probably detect SSH traffic to 443. So don't see the point of a simple SSH jump host without some obfuscation.

• miaumiau Member
    edited August 2016

@rincewind said:

Try Wetty as an alternate to ShellInaBox. Can run behind nginx, uses websockets and is a NodeJS app.

If the firewall has DPI it could probably detect SSH traffic to 443. So don't see the point of a simple SSH jump host without some obfuscation.

Apparently it worked here (Im using it right now), despite the fact they are able to and actively block OpenVPN at 443.

This 64mb box cant even handle zypper to update/install software. But as long I can continue my work, that's good enough.