Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

QuadHost.net timing out for some ISPs?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

QuadHost.net timing out for some ISPs?

UnixfyUnixfy Member
edited August 2016 in Providers

It seems that Quadhost.net is timing out for some connections (isup.me shows it as up, and I can access it when using some VPNs), is anything up @Quadhost?

NOTE: Solved, I got blacklisted by DDoS protection

Comments

• Works fine for me.

Thanked by 1quadhost
  • rgigengz said: Works fine for me.

I'm aware that it works fine for some people, but I'm curious as to why it's not working for me, as well as some VPN connections....
    @QuadHost
    @QuadHost

• Have you considered opening a ticket with them? Just an idea...

• Amitz said: Have you considered opening a ticket with them? Just an idea...

Yes, I have opened a ticket with them.

• @karatekidmonkey said:

Amitz said: Have you considered opening a ticket with them? Just an idea...

Yes, I have opened a ticket with them.

Great thing! That's the spirit!

Thanked by 2jvnadr quadhost
  • Magic.

• perryoo11 said: Magic.

Uhhhh....okay

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited August 2016

Their main site IP looks to be under clouvider ddos mitigation, so routes might not have updated in some locations?

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @linuxthefish
    Oh it is? Maybe that's what happened. Hm.

• @karatekidmonkey said:
    @linuxthefish
    Oh it is? Maybe that's what happened. Hm.

Run a traceroute and see where it stops?

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • The IP address that I get after tracerouting is one that belongs to Clouvider, I guess it is DDoS protection

• oh, no! their VPS panel still UP, who care about their website ? (their website just fine)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@linuxthefish said:
    Their main site IP looks to be under clouvider ddos mitigation, so routes might not have updated in some locations?

More likely NTT's Arbour platform has identified the connection as suspicious and blacklisted @karatekidmonkey IP.

QH is under SYN flood, and as such excessively refreshing the website (especially when you have a number of plugins in your web browser that created even more connections) when it's loading and being authenticated by the scrubbers sends the IP to the blacklist, as the traffic you generate is too similar to the attack they are receiving.

If you got blacklisted by NTT for that reason, you'd normally not reach Clouvider's network in the traceroute, and the last reachable hop would be somewhere in the NTT's network.

If this is the case feel free to contact QuadHost or our NOC directly (https://www.clouvider.co.uk/contact-us), we will be happy to ask NTT to whitelist your IP.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2016

IPv6 is not working on that website:

Host                                      Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
     2. 2a02:2698:8000::501                     0.0%    10   13.7  43.1   1.9 326.5  99.9
     3. 2a02:2698:8000::1e02                    0.0%    10    4.3   1.9   1.3   4.3   0.8
     4. GW-ERTelecom.retn.net                   0.0%    10   28.3  28.5  28.3  29.5   0.3
     5. ae11-154.RT.M9P.MSK.RU.retn.net         0.0%    10   28.4  28.4  28.1  28.8   0.0
     6. RT.TC2.LON.UK.retn.net                  0.0%    10   78.5  78.8  78.5  79.5   0.0
     7. LINX-JUNIPER-SOV.PEERING.CLOUVIDER.NET  0.0%    10   79.7  79.6  79.5  79.7   0.0
     8. 2a04:92c1:1:7::1                        0.0%    10   79.8  79.7  79.6  79.8   0.0
     9. 2a06:8ec0::4                            0.0%    10   79.8  79.8  79.7  80.0   0.0
    10. ???

so when a client tries to use IPv6, it will hang for a long time.

$ curl -v https://quadhost.net/ -6
    * Hostname was NOT found in DNS cache
    *   Trying 2a06:8ec0:0:252::...
    * connect to 2a06:8ec0:0:252:: port 443 failed: Connection timed out
    * Failed to connect to quadhost.net port 443: Connection timed out
    * Closing connection 0
    curl: (7) Failed to connect to quadhost.net port 443: Connection timed out

Also I can't load it via Squid proxy, because Squid currently doesn't fall back to IPv4 as it should.

Probably deployed v6 years ago and then stopped caring or verifying that it actually works.

• quadhostquadhost Member
    edited August 2016

Apologies to everyone for the delay in response here, we figured you would all appreciate our efforts in resolving the issue rather than visiting a 3rd party forum.

@karatekidmonkey more than likely as @clouvider suggested you were picked up as a false positive by the protection during the attacks.

@tommy said:
    oh, no! their VPS panel still UP, who care about their website ? (their website just fine)

Only our main site was hit by the attacker, all client VM's and systems remained online.

rm_ said: IPv6 is not working on that website

Correct it wasn't, and is now resolved...

PING quadhost.net(2a06:8ec0:0:252::) 32 data bytes
    40 bytes from 2a06:8ec0:0:252::: icmp_seq=0 ttl=55 time=11.7 ms
    40 bytes from 2a06:8ec0:0:252::: icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=8.22 ms
    40 bytes from 2a06:8ec0:0:252::: icmp_seq=2 ttl=55 time=8.24 ms
    40 bytes from 2a06:8ec0:0:252::: icmp_seq=3 ttl=55 time=8.17 ms

--- quadhost.net ping statistics ---
    4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3011ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 8.175/9.106/11.788/1.552 ms, pipe 2

---- Finished ------ 

rm_ said: Probably deployed v6 years ago and then stopped caring or verifying that it actually works.

Thats your opinion that you are free to have however it is not the case.

Thanked by 2Clouvider Unixfy
  • quadhost said: Apologies to everyone for the delay in response here, we figured you would all appreciate our efforts in resolving the issue rather than visiting a 3rd party forum.

It would be ideal if you could do both, but yeah I guess solving the issue is better :)

quadhost said: @karatekidmonkey more than likely as @clouvider suggested you were picked up as a false positive by the protection during the attacks.

That's probably true, I have quite a few browser addons that create additional connections to the servers. During that time I just setup openvpn on one of your i-83 nodes and used it to access the client area :)

Issue solved at this point.