Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a VPS to be used as a private seedbox
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for a VPS to be used as a private seedbox

user123user123 Member
edited March 2013 in General

I am generally a pretty low-key user once I have everything set up (for example, support ticket to manually enable TUN/TAP manually if the panel option doesn't do it).

What the VPS will be used for:
- Private seedbox (private tracker only and the downloaded files are also hidden from public access)
- Private VPN
- Personal file storage (if I need to upload stuff when I'm away from home and it's too large or inconvenient to email)

Budget: Obviously as low as possible, but $15 or less.

Specs: (OpenVZ is fine)
Location - Preferably, OVH FR so that most of the traffic is internal to their network, but I'm open to other locations.
HDD size - 200GB+
RAM - 1GB+
BW - 1-5TB (2TB or 3TB just to give myself a huge margin, but I have never broken 2TB, afaik)
Line - 100Mbit+

In the past couple years of having a seedbox, I have never had even the whisper of a DMCA takedown notice.

I previously had a seedbox that worked well for quite a while with great stats and at a great price (4GB RAM/300GB HDD/80TB BW/1Gbit for $16/month!), but recently had a falling out with the hosting company (it's a long story involving the support desk being run by sketchy kids and making things up because they couldn't actually do stuff), so the support desk cancelled my server.

I have kept an eye on my current seedbox resource usage for a while. Load and CPU usage are usually minimal (though load does increase initially when allocating space for a torrent) and RAM usage is usually <50MB (and consistently < 200MB). The total monthly bandwidth in my control panel is not accurate (shows just a couple GB), but I'm 100% confident that it's less than 3TB (and I'm pretty sure that it is actually below 1TB).

I was interested in this Kimsufi promo, but they want copies of ID and bills, which is not something I ever do (but if someone wants to just buy and resell it to me at a decent price, I'd definitely consider it :P): http://www.kimsufi.com/fr/bons_plans/index.xml
Also was interested in MKS2G ( http://www.kimsufi.com/fr/ ), but same thing.

I have come across a some posts mentioning 3 or 4 hosts here that have more of a laissez-faire policy when it comes to torrents, but thought I would throw this out there in case any other hosts is interested.

I am not interested in turning this into a discussion of what people download or from where. Among other things, I download TV shows because I'm rarely home and CBF to record them. I also do end up buying stuff that I find is good after downloading it. I'm just looking for someone that wants to take my (easy) money and provide me with an agreed-upon service.

Comments

• I don't condone the use of torrents, clearly because you've defined your illegal intentions, however in any case, I've heard that OVH provides a solid service for this sort of clientelle, I use OVH for my own seedbox for legal torrents & game updates mainly because it can download more consistently then send it back to my own home machine whenever i Need it to, much more stable than I can with my horific 40Mbit talktalk line.

• OVH / Kimsufi requires ID if you purchase any server from France, because of the rules based around VAT.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

You could try OVH.us

• Buyvm have stock right now.

• ClownJugglarClownJugglar Member
    edited March 2013

Find you a OVH reseller? torrent-invites usually has a few with offers up. The mini one is typically 500GB/2GB RAM/ATOM for $18~ dedicated (typically with a coupon code). Seedroots and dedisreturn are two that come to mind.

• @budingyun said: Buyvm have stock right now.

If you read the TOS and the AUP they mention that the VPS's are for legal use only:
    https://my.frantech.ca/aup.php

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@compuguy said: If you read the TOS and the AUP they mention that the VPS's are for legal use only:

https://my.frantech.ca/aup.php

Torrents are fine.

Francisco

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited March 2013

@Francisco said: Torrents are fine.

Pretty much every host I know says that, so long as the host doesn't get bothered about it.

Also, if you're willing to be a guinea pig, I can help you out with the kimsufi I have.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Seed.st

• JacobJacob Member

We allow torrents in UK, which will be <20ms we will also be improving nodes to 4G throughput in a month or two, after testing these quad NICs.

Not that i expect a single customer to have 4Gbps throughput. :P

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Rallias said: Pretty much every host I know says that, so long as the host doesn't get bothered about it.

We care about resource abuse, not some lameo DMCA's for TV shows.

Remember, we have our own IP's & ASN so say how we handle things. Given how many false cases Aldryic has had to deal with, we're likely going to enforce a certified letter policy soon.

Francisco

• Thank you for the posts and assistance, everyone :). At this point in time, it looks like I will most likely be splitting an OVH server with another LET member.

@Liam: Could you please close this thread?

• @user123 said: At this point in time, it looks like I will most likely be splitting an OVH server with another LET member.

Well, hey, if you avoid attracting any abuse notices, I'd be more than willing to share.

• @Rallias said: Well, hey, if you avoid attracting any abuse notices, I'd be more than willing to share.

I've never had an abuse notice to date.

I honestly appreciate the offer, but another LET member PMd me shortly after I opened this thread and we have been discussing splitting his OVH server. I think we've come to a census, but if things change for whatever reason, I will definitely think about you (but not in a creepy way :P). Thanks again :)

• @Rallias said: Well, hey, if you avoid attracting any abuse notices, I'd be more than willing to share.

>

@Rallias Are you running winows or linux? Also what is the spec of the server?

• @Taylor said: Are you running winows or linux? Also what is the spec of the server?

I'm using the mKS2g. You'd get an Linux LXC container to do whatever, ports will forward.

• Kimsufi. Trafic within OVH is free and about 90% of all seeds on private trackers are machines hosted with OVH.

• zedszeds Member

I've got a few OVH, mkS 2g (except equipped w/ the atom n2800) -- 4gb ram. 500gb space -- if you don't want the hassle of signing up for OVH, not only does it require picture ID, etc. They have to verify your methods of payment, which at times can take upwards to a week. Customer service feels as if it was controlled by a few eggdrops with ghetto tcl scripts. BUT! Drop me a line, I can't offer 100% reflection on price points -- but I can negotiate.

Cheers.

• I honestly bought a vps mentioned in this post (http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/overzold-4-55-5gb-ram-openvz-vps-in-milan-italy/) and its pretty decent for the price.....

• If you need help with OVH i can help as well, pricing would be just about what they advertise it for, add a few euros or something.

This discussion has been closed.