Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One just has to love Prometeus! :-)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

One just has to love Prometeus! :-)

AmitzAmitz Member
edited March 2013 in Reviews

Hi all,

this is not really a review.
I stated more than once that my Prometeus VZSSD7 VPS is the best and smoothest container that I have ever had. So no more details concerning this wonderful piece of Virtualization.

But today, Uncle Salvatore @prometeus impressed me again by helping me out of a self-caused problem within 2 (!) minutes and saved my day. So much for "unmanaged"... Big thanks for that, here is a ticket excerpt! :-)

Client 2013/03/19 14:06
Dear all,

>

I did a very stupid mistake and moved a system file from its place to /root. Now, I cannot access the VPS any longer via SSH >and things seem broken... :-(

>

Is there any chance that you could enter the container and move

>

/root/libc-2.13.so
back to
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc-2.13.so

>

That would be an great help. Otherwise, I would have to setup everything from scratch again...
Thank you VERY much for your efforts in advance!
Kind regards

Staff 2013/03/19 14:08
Done,
please let me know if it's ok.
Best regards

Comments

• Yup, they are great! :)

• @joodle said: Yup, they are great! :)

Indeed

• Ben1002Ben1002 Member
    edited March 2013

Any host should move system file back for you if it is preventing the container from booting. As for the 2 minute response time, it probably just so happens that he was on the ticket page when your ticket appeared.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited March 2013

@BenND said: Any host should move system file back for you if it is preventing the container from booting. As for the 2 minute response time, it probably just so happens that he was on the ticket page when your ticket appeared.

I agree with you that most other hosts would have been able to handle the same task in the same time. However, this thread is an expression of my general satisfaction with that special provider. Because I do not tend to write reviews normally and that special provider made me happy AGAIN, I just could not resist opening this thread. Displacement Activity. Sorry for that. ;-)

• The great Uncle Salvatore in action. :D

• I have an Iperweb server too and I have likewise experiences. They are nice when you have questions and they don't treat you like dirt.
    Keep up the good work Salvatore!

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

Indeed it was casual. I was checking the ticket page in the minute it arrived. :P

• Debian Wheezy, right? I had opened the exact same support ticket in January.

Uh, this may seem like an unusual request, but I have managed to break my system by moving the libc6 library from it's original location.

Please move the libc-2.13.so from /root/libc-2.13.so to /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc-2.13.so

I tried to use the serial console from the control panel, but it didn't log me in.

I was however able to solve the issue by myself before uncle could respond by manually loading the library using LD_PRELOAD.

I don't remember exactly, but the command I used was this -

LD_PRELOAD=/root/libc-2.13.so mv ~/libc-2.13.so /lib/i386-linux-gnu/

• no surprise they won last few provider poll. I have a few biz vps with prometeus that are worth much more than i pay.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited March 2013

@Ellimist said: Debian Wheezy, right? I had opened the exact same support ticket in January.

lol! Yes, Debian Wheezy and EXACTLY the same problem. Funny coincidence!
    Did you also find a way how to update without getting errors concerning libc-2.13.so?

• EllimistEllimist Member
    edited March 2013

If you are getting this -

dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'libc6:i386' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed

You can recreate the package list file by extracting it from the downloaded/stored package file.

dpkg-deb -c /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.13-37_i386.deb | awk {'print $6'} | cut -f2- -d. | sed 's|^/$|/.|' | sed 's|/$||' > /var/lib/dpkg/info/libc6:i386.list

Not my code, BTW.

If you have apt-get clean ed, just download the package and use it to get the file list.

• AmitzAmitz Member

Thanks, @Ellimist!

• You're not the first person I've seen do something like that. I've seen people rm -rf /bin before. Also /etc, /sbin, /root, and so on. Yay for free Internet Guides!

• If it was mv /* .. I guess even Salvatore would give up...