Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would love your input and help! What to do with site.is ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Would love your input and help! What to do with site.is ?

siteissiteis Member
edited March 2013 in Help

Hello.

I own the domain site.is and would love to offer people a place
where they can sign up for a free subdomain ex: johns.site.is or
killerband.site.is just to write something.

I believe this has a good sound to it and if done correctly could
help a lot of people.

I haven't found this script ( qi.fi and vv.cc ) but I think this could
be a good fit for my domain site.is

All suggestions are welcomed and if you offer hosting or scripting
please let me know because I'll also be looking for hosting this
service with a good provider.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

if you do that, your domain may be in the blacklist.

• ZiggaZigga Member

@zhuanyi might be able to help you out, he runs a similar project with bornin.asia

• IvanIvan Member
    edited March 2013

Hmm, I'm interested to know what scripts do both qi.fi and vv.cc use.
    Also, are there any other scripts that allow users to register for a free subdomain on a site?

EDIT: You can check this one out http://www.milliscripts.com/

• It will be quiet difficult for you to ensure that all the things they write are within the law.

• Jylee, What do you mean my domain might get backlisted? do you mean if I would go for the vv.cc solution?
    Zigga, thanks for tip :)

• Maizihuakai, I've actually thought of that issue... but then I thought doesn't it fall down to what the hosting provider allows to be hosted? Now you can have warez, torrent and pron sites on almost any domain you can think of as long as the hosting provider allows it. Or am I missing something?

• @siteis said: Jylee, What do you mean my domain might get backlisted? do you mean if I would go for the vv.cc solution?

I think he is referring to what happened to co.cc

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@OP, give your domain to bornin.asia . It perfectly suits your task.

• create who.site.is/anydomainhere for whois / host lookup :)

• create your.site.is/gay for laughs.

• AndriAndri Member
    edited March 2013

Yes, @zhuanyi's bornin.asia will give the domain a good use. Also, pardon me if I'm wrong, @jhadley's partner start up a web app for easy WordPress installation sometime ago.

Edit: It's @ElliotJ

• +1 eastonch

• I've been looking at @Elliotj Gatsby service and to me that's dead on what I'm looking for!

I know Gatsby is a custom script, but are there any scripts/solutions out there that would allow me to offer something similar that could then be tweaked?

• IvanIvan Member

@siteis said: but are there any scripts/solutions out there that would allow me to offer something similar that could then be tweaked?

I too am looking for something like that.. just curious and I'd like to look into stuff like that.

• @siteis said: I know Gatsby is a custom script

Not really :P

At the core it's simply WordPress Multisite installation, with a few optimisation/caching tweaks to make it run blazing fast.

The secret sauce is maintaining stability with limited resources, and unexpected spikes in demand - Perhaps this isn't the perfect place to discuss it, but if you need a hand, I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

• @ElliotJ That would be awesome! I've messaged you :)

• @siteis I'd like to own where.site.is :D

• @DestroyeRCo Tell you what! When I get the service up and running I'll send you a message and you'll be able to register it! It's been reserved for you ;)

• IvanIvan Member

@siteis can I have your.site.is or what.site.is?

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

@teohkay you should make it your.site.is/down

• I'll give you $100

• IvanIvan Member

@shovenose said: @teohkay you should make it your.site.is/down

Haha, maybe I could learn on how to make an alternative to Downforeveryoneorjustme.com ..

• siteissiteis Member
    edited March 2013

I'm in the process of creating a pre-registration form at site.is so people will be able to reserve domain names while I'm setting everything up. I'll be using wordpress multisites setup so there will be some restrictions BUT if you need just the domain that's going to be possible as well. Just have to figure out a setup for that as well :)
    This will of course all be free!

• IvanIvan Member

@siteis said: I'm in the process of creating a pre-registration form at site.is so people will be able to reserve domain names while I'm setting everything up.

Awesome. Keep us updated. I want to nab them good domains! >:D

• AndriAndri Member
    edited March 2013

@siteis said: This will of course all be free!

More good people on LET. Dope!
    Goodluck. :)