Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Digitalocean lost NY backups/images and introduced new prices for "free" backups
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Digitalocean lost NY backups/images and introduced new prices for "free" backups

SpiritSpirit Member
edited March 2013 in Providers

On Sunday March 17 at 3:07PM EST one of our backup and snapshot NAS systems suffered a hard RAID failure causing the loss of some user backups and snapshots. We tried to recover the affected files but were unable to successfully restore them from the failed device. This resulted in the loss of specific backups and snapshots

And then it follow:

Backup Pricing

Part of being a startup is sometimes admitting when you've made a mistake, correcting it, and improving the overall service having learned from those issues. When we initially launched we planned to offer pricing for bandwidth, snapshots, and backups, however we simply were more focused on developing the core functionality than introducing those pricing guidelines. This is a mistake that we ran into with Bandwidth as well and we are looking to correct it now. Our official pricing for backups will be 20% of the cost of the virtual server. So if you want to enable backups for a $5/mo virtual server, the cost for backups will be $1/mo.

And

Snapshot Pricing

Accordingly we will also be introducing pricing for snapshots to ensure that we can provide the level of service that customers expect including data redundancy and offsite backups as well. The price for snapshots will be $0.02 cents per GB of snapshot storage. These rates will also go into effect as of June 1st, also giving customers two months to adjust their snapshot usage as they like without incurring any fees in the interval.
http://www.digitaloceanstatus.com/

Starting to charge for something what was free before seems a great way to apology for lost backups :)

Comments

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member

I saw it =)

'how we gona charge for this?'

'hmm lets wipe everones shit and call it it a mistake' .. 'then lets announce pricing'

• @Spirit said: $0.02 cents

This is confusing, is this 2 cents or $0.02 cents?

• HC_RoHC_Ro Member
    edited March 2013

@jcaleb said: This is confusing, is this 2 cents or $0.02 cents?

same thing?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jcaleb said: This is confusing, is this 2 cents or $0.02 cents?

LOL. $.0002 is a pretty good price.

• @spirit yeah, reads like an apology letter to their VC investors ;)

• Interesting, I thought DigitalOcean was supposed to be a good provider?

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2013

My opinion is that they lately lured a lot of new clients with free 5$, 10$, 20$ bonuses and now they need to make sure that those people will actually spend their credits - want it or not :)

• @HC_Ro said: same thing?

Can be not same thing.

@raindog308 said: LOL. $.0002 is a pretty good price.

Yeah that's what I was hoping

• @Spirit said: My opinion is that they lately lured a lot of new clients with free 5$, 10$, 20$ bonuses and now they need to make sure that those people will actually spend their credits - want it or not :)

Maybe in a month or two, they will charge bandwidth even to us that were early adaptors.

• exussumexussum Member
    edited March 2013
  • HC_RoHC_Ro Member

@jcaleb said: Can be not same thing.

$0.02 cannot be anything more or less of 2 cents. Take aways the '$' then perhaps 0.02 of 2 cents.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2013

@raindog308 said: $.0002 is a pretty good price.
    @jcaleb said: Yeah that's what I was hoping

Not so sure about that if you're billed per hour as Digitalocean do. That's around 0.15$ per GB/month if I am not wrong. And it's just idle vps snapshot.

• Second time they change their TOS but this time clients are charged no matter what.

• blergh_blergh_ Member
    edited March 2013

derp.

• @jcaleb: isnt 2 cents and $0.02 the same thing?

• @cosmicgate said: isnt 2 cents and $0.02 the same thing?

No, in fact it was 0.02 cents :P

• https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/do-you-offer-backups

**If we make a change in the future we will not modify how existing customers are billed so they will continue to have the service for free. **

Sure...

• @cosmicgate said: @jcaleb: isnt 2 cents and $0.02 the same thing?

I'm just trolling =) But its nice to dream $.0002 per GB of backup

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@jcaleb said: I'm just trolling =) But its nice to dream $.0002 per GB of backup

I am afraid Uncle might read this...

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2013

@jcaleb said: But its nice to dream $.0002 per GB of backup

Even with billing per hour as Digitalocean do? :) And it's not standard backup space where you can add/remove/upload/download stuff but just idle image of your vps without your direct access to it unless you create new vps instance.

• @Spirit said: Even with billing per hour as Digitalocean do? :)

I meant per month, and just sitting the backup files there.

• ztecztec Member

I hoped for once that there was a company who would really give all that for the price but I guess I was just dreaming...

• u4iau4ia Member

@Spirit said: just idle image of your vps

I like that kind of backup, insurance for those moments where things go very wrong.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited March 2013

The price for snapshots will be $0.02 cents per GB of snapshot storage.

Compared to what other cloud providers charge for snapshots that is actually an extremely low price per GB. CloudVPS charges € 5,00 for 20GB and € 8,50 for 40GB snapshots. Zerigo/8x8 charges $0.25 per GB for snapshots

• @Spirit said: My opinion is that they lately lured a lot of new clients with free 5$, 10$, 20$ bonuses and now they need to make sure that those people will actually spend their credits - want it or not :)

Prices is still fair and cheap though, in my opinion.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2013

@DomainBop said: that is actually an extremely low price per GB. CloudVPS charges € 5,00 for 20GB

There's difference for sure, but extreme? Isn't new DO snapshot price around 3$ for 20GB/m (considering their hourly rates) but then again, aren't DO relatively new not so reputable provider yet (even if some people consider them as "big")? Would you expect to lose backups like people did with DO today also with providers you mention above?

Anyway, I think that most people here liked the most their option to set up VPS and create image of this VPS and restore with new droplet in case of need. Many won't like to see their payment suddenly expiring for non used images so they may remove just everything and set-up new VPS from scratch in case of need. I am wondering if DO will invent new way to charge and spend credits of those idle clients too. :-)

• edited March 2013

lol.
    charging user because iddle and using the user database entry?
    I have one DO and one image, but as they said in the email, my image is lost.
    So I just destroy my vm

• marcmmarcm Member

We have two VPS servers with Digital Ocean for DNS. They already lost one of them. When you try to race every other host to the bottom by forcing prices down, you might get there first. It's more like a Digital Joke on customers.

• @marcm said: They already lost one of them

???
    You mean, deleted? :S

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited March 2013

@marcm said: They already lost one of them.

???
    Wow, was this active VPS/droplet? Or today NY backup loss actually?