Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free RPi colo in Netherland if you only need IPv6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free RPi colo in Netherland if you only need IPv6

zhuanyizhuanyi Member
edited March 2013 in General

Mentioned in this WHT thread:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1247549

IPv6 only colo is free, IPv4 + IPv6 cost 4 Euros per month

No idea if the provider is reliable, though

Comments

• I was wondering if anyone had head of them before, I was able to get in when they were offering IPv4 for free and got the address to send my Pi but as it is outside of the USA I will need to spend a bit to ship it over.

If it is reputable then the hosting in itself is worth me doing it.

• I remember reading on LifeHacker about a colo company doing the same kind of promotion (free colo for your Raspberry Pi for 1 year), but don't know if it was the same company. I think it might have been. IIRC, they were overwhelmed by people interested in the offer, so they had to stop/limit the number.

• @user123 it isnt the same company, if I am not mistaken the other company was Edis.

• @Holoshed said: @user123 it isnt the same company, if I am not mistaken the other company was Edis.

You're right. You made me resort to Googling. Ah, my poor, weary fingers.

• ztecztec Member

What would you guys do with this? I'm thinking of driving there and just dump my raspberry there but I have not real purpose for it, maybe for backups but that would mean I'd have to connect a HD which they probably charge extra for.

• VMVPSVMVPS Member

Although I have got my PI, I finally give up the plan after calculating the price it may cost last time i applied for EDIS' colo plan.

• Why would anyone want to send the Raspberry Pi to be sitting in a data center? What kind of use case(s) out there?

Sorry for my dumb questions (if you think so).

• If you've got one lying around, it's a free: storage/backup box (just add a couple of USB sticks), VPN server, irc bouncer, static web host, DNS server, etc etc - ie anything you might do with a small VPS...

The real question is why would anyone want to put one in their DC for free?

• tvjamestvjames Member
    edited April 2013

I emailed those guys looking to purchase a RPi and host through them on the 21st. Beyond the initial "send us all your personal details" reply i've heard nothing.

I emailed them back asking for what details they needed, payment method etc.

--
    Edited:

Looks like i spoke too soon, I've just received the follow up email. Seems they've been overwhelmed by the offer.

I'm looking forward to getting a Cloud-RPi soon then :)

• @tehdan said: The real question is why would anyone want to put one in their DC for free?

It's small, cheap, and uses less power per 1u than a normal server, just needs an IP and an ethernet cord.

• @Rallias agree its cheaper for them than than offering say free 1U/whole rack colo - but not free, especially in terms of time/money spent dealing with owners. Even if you can get 10^6 pis in the space/power of 1U you're still making 0.00/month. So why offer the service?

• @tehdan said: So why offer the service?

Because they bought the service but don't have the power to add more heavy duty servers? I don't know. Maybe out of the goodness in their heart.

• EvixoEvixo Member

PCExtreme offers IPv4 too, for free:
    http://raspberrycolocation.com/home/

• MrDOSMrDOS Member
    edited April 2013

I always assumed these deals were a sort of loss leader to promote the company's other services.

• @MrDOS said: I always assumed these deals were a sort of loss leader to promote the company's other services.

Ya, I think EDIS got pretty good publicity out of this free RPi colo stuff, which definitely helped their business (they were featured in some sort of popular blog online I believe).

• I guess that buying from the provider itself is a better choice to me =P
    But $75 is a little bit high, and they don't mention anything about extra storage via USB, so sucks...

• Awesome thanks