Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Clients sign up for services they don't use!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Clients sign up for services they don't use!

DamianDamian Member
edited March 2013 in Providers

Well, that's not really a shocker, now is it?

I tallied up our cancellation requests since the start:

No longer needed:   260
Unused:     144
No IPV6:    41
Up/downgraded plans:    38
Punctuation:    37
Poor Performance, no ticket:    35
Inexperienced User: 32
"Testing":  29
"Thanks":   26
Not Enough Resources, no ticket:    14
Atjeu->CC move: 14
Moved to new provider:  12
"Didn't mean to sign up":   10
Payment Issues: 8
Poor Performance, ticketed: 7
Need BSD/Windows/not-Linux: 7
PI->Atjeu move: 6
Found better location:  5
Not Enough Resources, ticketed: 4
AUP/TOS change  3
Poor support, no ticket:    3
User can't read TOS 1
Poor support, ticketed: 0

Was somewhat surprised at how many people never use their VPS. This doesn't even get all of the users that aren't responsible enough to submit a cancellation request.

Comments

• Yep, I have a lot of spare machines... and one is with you lol.

@Damian said: User can't read TOS

xDDDDD

From where you got this statistics? Have been crafted by hand based in the cancellation requests?

• We see the same trend also.

• I guess when someone says "Unused" you can't be sure if it's no longer needed or if it was never actually needed

• @yomero said: Have been crafted by hand based in the cancellation requests?

Yes

@gsrdgrdghd said: I guess when someone says "Unused" you can't be sure if it's no longer needed or if it was never actually needed

If the user said that it was no longer needed, or not used anymore, or otherwise some kind of identifier that it was used at one time, I put them into the "No longer needed" statistic. Otherwise, if they just said "Unused" or "not used" then I put it in the "Unused" statistic. I don't know how accurate this is, of course, as some individuals do not have a understanding of English.

• @Damian said: Poor support, no ticket: 3

and

@Damian said: "Didn't mean to sign up": 10

Makes me laugh, how do you sign up to something and pay for it without 'meaning' to?

• vedranvedran Veteran

"Didn't mean to sign up": 10

You mean like "I accidentally clicked on the order link and then I accidentally went through the order process and then I accidentally created WHMCS account and then I accidentally went to my payment processor and then I accidentally logged in there and then I accidentally paid"?

• @vedran said: You mean like "I accidentally clicked on the order link and then I accidentally went through the order process and then I accidentally created WHMCS account and then I accidentally went to my payment processor and then I accidentally logged in there and then I accidentally paid"?

Unrecognised sleeping disorder?

• @vedran said: You mean like "I accidentally clicked on the order link and then I accidentally went through the order process and then I accidentally created WHMCS account and then I accidentally went to my payment processor and then I accidentally logged in there and then I accidentally paid"?

Yep... I don't really believe it either, sometimes makes me wonder if it's some kind of stolen-card-verification, where criminals purchase a cheap item to see if their stolen CC works or not.

• emgemg Veteran

My VPSs are WAY underutilized, to be sure, but that's okay with me. I doubt that any of the hosting providers will say, "You didn't use your VPS this month, so we are going to refund your payment." :-)

The truth is that I never seem to do as much as I planned, because many unexpected little emergencies take priority. The honest truth is that I should spend less time in forums and more time working on my VPSs. :-(

• It is so easy to buy a vps, test 1 day and than just throw it away. What is $1? Almost nothing.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited March 2013

I have a total of 244 cancellation requests, majority of them are "Do not need, not in use, etc..", and others are "Getting a dedicated server", others like "next purchase / upgrading".

Then you always get the occasional "Laggy piece of ****" @Jack.

• BK_BK_ Member

I have approximately 20 LEB's.
    I only use 5. The rest sit there paid for.
    Guilty as charged.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

We have had cancellation requests with just some gibberish to satisfy the filling in the box requirement.
    Others have been detailed ones, some "Lousy piece of shit" back when we were back at OVH. not a period of time I was proud of.

• When I cancel any vps I always write "not needed any longer" or something like that because it's simple. When there have been problems or I had the wish for upgrades/downgrades then that has been discussed via tickets before, so whatelse to write in this box then..

• While we are at the subject of cancelation requests: Some providers should really review their cancellation site.

There is always a dropbox for "Cancel immediately"/"Cancel at the end of the billing period" and a textbox for the reason. When one doesn't enter a reason and selects "Cancel at the end of the billing period" there is often an error message telling me that i have to state a reason.

However the dropbox also silently resets to "Cancel immediately" without telling me. This has lead to many almost cancellations for me.

• My best cancelation request
    "Alien zombie apocalypse."

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Similar pattern here, best one to date "I need server that allow spam"

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@Damian said: If the user said that it was no longer needed, or not used anymore, or otherwise some kind of identifier that it was used at one time, I put them into the "No longer needed" statistic. Otherwise, if they just said "Unused" or "not used" then I put it in the "Unused" statistic.

Well duh, the VPS could have been used by them in the past, but they state the current condition of the VPS: Unused. Perhaps because they have found a better deal somewhere else, and finished moving everything there. I do not think you should expect them to go into details and ramble about "anymore" or "no longer" in this annoying "Reason" box that they're forced to put something into or the system doesn't let them proceed with what they want to do.

@Damian said: No IPV6: 41

This being so high up should be an eye-opener for all those hosts without IPv6.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

I usually just right "cancel" when I do a cancellation request (or "0" or something random), most ToS don't say I have to provide a reason to cancel so why should I?

• "Alien zombie apocalypse."

This is going to be my new default reason as well :-)

We're gonna make the box optional. It's a stupid requirement :)

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited March 2013

@shovenose said: It's a stupid requirement :)

It's useful so you know:
    A) Why they cancelled
    B) How you can improve the service, if it's informative

Though true some people don't care or have nothing to say and just enter N/a

Well, it will be optional. If they don't want to enter anything it would save them entering something useless just to make it submit.
    If they want to enter, of course it's appreciated, but why force them to?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@24khost said: "Alien zombie apocalypse."

Top Ten Reasons I'm Going to Put in the Cancellation Box From Now On

1. "The Dark Lord of Flies appeared to me in a dream and told me to switch VPS providers."

2. "People on LET said that $7.50 a month was too much for 4GB RAM + 100GB disk + 5TB bandwidth. Goodbye, ripoff provider!"

3. "Ping times to Latveria are poor."

4. "Pretty sure the jury is going to come back with a conviction and can't afford to prepay for the next 20 years."

5. "I realized Minecraft is actually kind of boring."

6. "Won the lottery and built my own DC."

7. "This is Lieutenant Wong from the People's Liberation Army of China. This account is now being closed with extreme prejudice."

8. "Signed up but then realized you don't take LibertyReservePatriotAlertOffshorePay, and that's the only place I have an account setup. Sorry."

9. "I discovered girls. Wow! There's all kinds of fun things you can do with them! Don't have time for VPSes any more."

10. "I was elected Pope."

• What the hell do they mean by "punctuation"? They cancelled a server because of bad grammar?

• @raindog308 said: "Ping times to Latveria are poor."

The funiest one :D

• JacobJacob Member

Lol.

@raindog308 said: "This is Lieutenant Wong from the People's Liberation Army of China. This account is now being closed with extreme prejudice."

• @Abdussamad said: What the hell do they mean by "punctuation"? They cancelled a server because of bad grammar?

most likely they just put a period, comma, etc in the box requesting a reason.

• CoreyCorey Member

I have a yearly buyvm that I only used for like one month :)

• I'm going to put a mark in both the "No IPv6" and the "No longer needed" columns at the end of this month. I was going to use IPXCore's 96MB budget OpenVZ plan for a DNS box, but once I decided to make my setup IPv6 capable, I had to get a different box instead. At least I was using it!

This discussion has been closed.