Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reverse FTP Proxy?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reverse FTP Proxy?

FreekFreek Member
edited March 2013 in Help

I'm not sure if this is the right terminology for what I am trying to achieve, but here's the idea:
I have a VPS with 1 IP address. I am planning on hosting several FTP servers on it for different people using their own subdomains.

Each domainname will have their own FTP Port and HTTP Port.
Suppose my VPS has IP 123.123.123.123
data.bob.com has HTTP running on port 8080 and ftp on 2121
data.john.com has HTTP running on port 8181 and ftp on 2222
I added an A record to data.bob.com and data.john.com and setup a reverse HTTP Server (which was easy). Now if you enter data.bob.com, you will automatically land at my VPS at bob's HTTP service (ie. 123.123.123.123:8080).

How can I get this working for FTP requests as well? So that ftp://data.bob.com automatically forwards requests to 2121 instead of just port 21?

I found this: http://www.mcknight.de/jftpgw/howtouse.html
But it looks quite complicated and I'm not sure I really need this fancy advanced piece of software for my simple needs.

Thanks!

Comments

• erhwegesrgsrerhwegesrgsr Member
    edited March 2013

use vhosts instead of multiple ports.

For http that is domain based.
    For ftp that is username based. (like [email protected] or just john)

What you want is impossible as ftp discards the used hostname instead of passing it

• Vhosts are indeed better. Only reason when you want to proxy it is when you want to split it into several vpses without extra ips.

• FreekFreek Member

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I am currently already using a VirtualHost for my HTTP Proxy.
    How does this look for FTP? I am a bit confused.

Thanks

• @Freek said: Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I am currently already using a VirtualHost for my HTTP Proxy.
    How does this look for FTP? I am a bit confused.

Lock each user into their own directory when they log in? Why do you need different port? A CPanel server could have hundreds of users and yet everyone is comfortably staying within their own directory :)

• @Freek said: I am currently already using a VirtualHost for my HTTP Proxy.

using a vhost reverse proxy for static files is just plain stupid