Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ipv6 question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ipv6 question

WHTWHT Member

Hello.

Is the Ipv6 same as Ipv4? I mean:

1. Can be used as dedicated IP?
  2. Whats the difference between ipv4 and ipv6? I know that only ipv6 have more numbers as ipv4.

Will this affect the emails sent? Like going in junk folder?

Please let me know the cons.

Thank you everyone.

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
  • linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited August 2016

Google requires rdns on email sent from ipv6, something to watch out for as most mail servers will use ipv6 by default if its available.

Thanked by 1WHT
  • LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

With the current state of IPv6 adoption worldwide, you'll most likely need a dual stack setup with IPv4 support for quite some years. Still way too many hosts that don't support IPv6.
    Mail @ 100% IPv6 is at this moment definitely not an option.

When you're new to IPv6 I strongly advise to read the Wikipedia link mentioned in an earlier post above. Lots of interesting info in there! :-)

Thanked by 1WHT
  • Can be used as dedicated IP?

Yes.

What's the difference between ipv4 and ipv6?

IPv6 is not backwards compatible with IPv4. So you can't connect to IPv6 from a IPv4 Network directly.

Will this affect the emails sent? Like going in junk folder?

It will be delivered properly if you have proper rDNS records. But you can't send emails to a IPv4 only servers. Your best option is a Dual stack network.

Thanked by 1WHT
  • WHTWHT Member

Whats a dual stack?

• @WHT said:
    Whats a dual stack?

It is where you run IPv4 and IPv6 addresses at the same time.

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
            address 23.xxx.xxx.194
            netmask 255.255.255.240
            gateway 23.xxx.xxx.193

iface eth0 inet6 static
            address 2604:xx:xx:1::2
            netmask 64
            gateway 2604:xx:xx:1::1

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

LiteServer said: Still way too many hosts that don't support IPv6.

Not just hosts. ISPs too. In HK, HKBN, one of the largest broadband providers, has no IPv6 support at all! They don't allocate to their home users and when we asked for IP transit, they don't support IPv6.

And HGC, the 2nd largest carrier in Hong Kong, separate IPv4 and IPv6 traffic and IPv6 traffic costs way more. Their last quote (earlier this year) was for US$100 /mbit for IPv6. So there is no incentive for hosts like us to sign up for their IPv6 either.

Our current IPv6 now runs on HE.net which just isn't any good for Asia/China. But then again, no one wants IPv6 yet.

• sinsin Member

I setup IPv6 on all of my websites and I do notice a growing amount of visitors that come via IPv6.

Thanked by 2LiteServer elgs
  • LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

@sin said:
    I setup IPv6 on all of my websites and I do notice a growing amount of visitors that come via IPv6.

So do we :-) We are seeing a strong increase of IPv6 traffic on our network. Especially within the EU we see a IPv6 traffic increasing. Belgium does a large amount of IPv6 traffic, and Germany is growing since this year as well.

@randvegeta,
    We definitely need more ISPs that support IPv6. That's the same issue we have in NL as well. ISPs are so slow with the adoption of IPv6, just because "we have still enough IPv4 addresses available", just a terrible thought if you ask me.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

LiteServer said: We definitely need more ISPs that support IPv6. That's the same issue we have in NL as well. ISPs are so slow with the adoption of IPv6, just because "we have still enough IPv4 addresses available", just a terrible thought if you ask me.

I think it's more a catch 22 issue.

No website runs exclusively on IPv6 and an IPv6 only internet and so ISP don't give IPv6 addresses to their clients. And running IPv4 IPv6 translation is an imperfect solution that may cause problems for the same reason ISPs don't just give everything NATed IPv4.

Another problem is that websites running on IPv6 still link to website on IPv4. So if you have an IPv6 only internet connection, sure things like facebook and google still work, but what about all the links? Google still indexes and spits out all the Ipv4 results which kind of makes the Ipv6 internet useless. Facebook and Youtube are not enough if there is no search engine specific to IPv6 results.

Thanked by 1Admiral_Awesome
  • WHTWHT Member
    edited August 2016

@randvegeta said:

LiteServer said: We definitely need more ISPs that support IPv6. That's the same issue we have in NL as well. ISPs are so slow with the adoption of IPv6, just because "we have still enough IPv4 addresses available", just a terrible thought if you ask me.

I think it's more a catch 22 issue.

No website runs exclusively on IPv6 and an IPv6 only internet and so ISP don't give IPv6 addresses to their clients. And running IPv4 IPv6 translation is an imperfect solution that may cause problems for the same reason ISPs don't just give everything NATed IPv4.

Another problem is that websites running on IPv6 still link to website on IPv4. So if you have an IPv6 only internet connection, sure things like facebook and google still work, but what about all the links? Google still indexes and spits out all the Ipv4 results which kind of makes the Ipv6 internet useless. Facebook and Youtube are not enough if there is no search engine specific to IPv6 results.

So if the website runs on IPV6 cant be accessed from sone users/locations?

Am really confused same as with cloud hosting.

• DumbledoreDumbledore Member
    edited August 2016

WHT said: So if the website runs on IPV6 cant be accessed from sone users/locations?

IPv4 users can't access your site unless they have some kind of transition mechanism like 6to4.

Thanked by 1WHT
  • @randvegeta said:
    No website runs exclusively on IPv6 and an IPv6 only internet

I'm not sure how much longer that will be true. Cellular networks are gearing up to be IPv6-only, so anyone who primarily provides services to support smartphone apps might just decide to reduce their footprint in IPv4 by going IPv6-only for most of their infrastructure and then having an IPv4 proxy that handles whatever small bit of traffic is still needed for legacy users.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited August 2016

Here is my attempt at a simplified explanation. Pedants should move on to the next post:

• Every computer, web server, and other system on the internet has an IP address. They may have an IPv4 address, an IPv6 address, or one of each type.

• The world is running out of IPv4 addresses. IPv6 was devised to solve that problem. Because IPv6 addresses are longer, there are many more IPv6 addresses than IPv4 addresses. IPv6 was designed so that we will never run out of IPv6 addresses.

• IPv4 and IPv6 are protocols that move data from one computer to another around the internet. When you browse the web, your computer uses IPv4 or IPv6 to send the request to a web server on the internet. The web server uses IPv4 or IPv6 to send the response back to your computer to be displayed in your web browser.

• Even though they do the same job of moving data around the internet, IPv4 and IPv6 are not compatible with one another. If your home computer supports only IPv4, and the website you want supports only IPv6, then they cannot communicate and you cannot see the web page.

• Many home computers and other systems run "dual stack" which means that they support both IPv4 and IPv6 at the same time. Dual stack systems have an IPv4 address and an IPv6 address. They usually try to connect using IPv6 first. If that doesn't work, they use IPv4 to move the data over the internet.

• There are ways to "translate" between IPv4-only and IPv6-only systems to allow them to communicate with each other, but it is inconvenient and slow, and not easy for novices to setup. I believe that those techniques will fade away as more and more home computers, web servers, and other systems on the internet adopt IPv6.

• A growing number of home users, websites, and other systems on the internet support IPv6, but it will be years before everyone can abandon IPv4 entirely.

Does that help?

• emg said: Pedants should move on to the next post:

OK, I'm here. Now what?

Thanked by 2daily emg
  • elgselgs Member
    edited August 2016

IPv4 is to IPv6 what the floppy disk drive is to hard disk drive back in the late 90's. Every computer had one floppy disk drive just because every other computer had one. IPv4 will be completely useless pretty soon. When I say pretty soon, I mean 10 to 20 years. The reason IPv4 will be completely useless is that IPv4 has nothing that IPv6 doesn't have, just like the floppy disk drive is completely useless today.

• emgemg Veteran
    edited August 2016

@Ole_Juul said:

emg said: Pedants should move on to the next post:

OK, I'm here. Now what?

(Sorry for the late response, but I was away yesterday.)

My goal was to explain IPv6 in simple terms for people who are struggling with a basic understanding of it. As you can plainly see, I took license to omit details and avoid complexity.

For those who must have an absolute, accurate, unvarnished explanation of IPv6, I insultingly invited them to bypass my post, in order to avoid their ire caused by my glib disregard for the honest truth.

I am done with my simplistic explanation of IPv6, so feel free to flame away. ;-)