Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[REVIEW]Why you should stay away from VPN.sh
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[REVIEW]Why you should stay away from VPN.sh

SirusSirus Member
edited August 2016 in General

This is just my personal experience with VPN.sh over the last year and a few months.

Why should you stay away from VPN.sh? Well...

When I first signed up for their yearly special deals on 06/04/2015 I had absolutely no illusions of stellar service for such a low-low price with a company I'd previously never heard of or seen any reviews of, bUt I took a punt anyway hoping that they'd be a somewhat competent company, or at the very least grow into one, low and behold... that didn't happen. Why? It starts off at the very beginning.

Right off the bat the service was spotty across the board, servers would go down randomly in their worldwide locations, you'd get cut off randomly when on the vpn of your choice, and there'd almost never be accurate server downtime listed on their status page, half the servers that were up, were actually down but it showed as up. The majority of the time I wanted to connect to a server, I couldn't, and had to choose another, often to find that one was down also.

Then there's the "support" if you can even call it that, it's an absolute joke, I had a question about the package I had ordered originally and opened a ticket like you do, open for 3 months before I closed it as I knew there's no point leaving it open any longer, no response whatsoever. The second ticket I opened was because I had ordered their £1/y unlimited special package and wanted the previous one cancelled and my username changed as with the previous package enabled I couldn't use my new package, answering this ticket and complying with my request took 5 days.

And now there's this, the main reason I have completely given up on VPN.sh and am writing this little article to enlighten potential future customers not to waste their money on these people...

my £1/y Recurring Unlimited VPN package, is no more, when I ordered this I confirmed with them that it is truly £1/y RECURRING to find out, that was a blatant lie because low and behold! 2 weeks before my current package is to expire I get an email from them about a terms of service change. The email in question is in the image below.

I asked for a refund for the £3 I had deposited into my account to automatically renew my service down the line, I submitted the request ticket on 26/07 and it's now 04/08... Well over a week and I still haven't received any form of a reply.

From £1/y to £2.50/mo 2 weeks before my service is up for renewal, after original stating that it is £1/y recurring, please note that I've also not even used 1GB on this VPN throughout an entire year, and before anyone comments "what do you expect for £1/y?" I expect people to live up to their agreements and word, that's what. Even with spotty service and borderline non-existent customer service.

So in short, I'd personally suggest that you stay very far away from VPN.sh, they're a joke and clearly don't seem to care about their customers.

Thanked by 2DomainBop default

Comments

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited August 2016

We've known about VPN.shIT being sh*tty for a few years now. Have you seen the reviews?

ex. https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/46719/1-year-3-month-vpn-sh-review (scroll down)

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/22638/vpn-sh-not-well

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • @doghouch said:
    We already know about VPN.shIT being sh*tty. Have you seen the reviews?

ex. https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/46719/1-year-3-month-vpn-sh-review (scroll down)

I have, after I purchased the initial package, but I thought I'd add another just to add to the bunch.

• @Sirus said:

@doghouch said:
    We already know about VPN.shIT being sh*tty. Have you seen the reviews?

I have, after I purchased the initial package, but I thought I'd add another just to add to the bunch.

That's $5 you could've wasted on a LEB

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • This is why I prefer to use a VPS for my VPN hosting needs.

Thanked by 1muratai
  • I only need VPN few times, but their VPN always not accessible when I need it.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

There is always better to have your own VPS and configure it as VPN. Then you will be sure that it works well, due to it's depends on you.

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • i dont want to be that guy, but i wouldn't expect 1£/y unlimited VPN to last anyway

• sonicsonic Veteran

@seikan said:
    I only need VPN few times, but their VPN always not accessible when I need it.

^ this. Me too.

• lol

• I've been using these guys for a couple of years, here's some points.

The good:

• It's cheap (£1/year)
    • Various locations
    • Dedicated IP options, Custom Plans on request
    • Unlimited
    • Relatively good speeds depending on location & load

The Bad:

• Support can be slow.
    • Locations aren't always stable.
    • Some IPs are blacklisted

What do you expect for £1/year? I've also got a Private Internet Access account that I pay $8/m for - I don't get any issues with these guys, I rarely use this service these days.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • @Pandy said:
    i dont want to be that guy, but i wouldn't expect 1£/y unlimited VPN to last anyway

There's always one.

@eastonch said:
    I've been using these guys for a couple of years, here's some points.

The good:

• It's cheap (£1/year)
    • Various locations
    • Dedicated IP options, Custom Plans on request
    • Unlimited
    • Relatively good speeds depending on location & load

The Bad:

• Support can be slow.
    • Locations aren't always stable.
    • Some IPs are blacklisted

What do you expect for £1/year? I've also got a Private Internet Access account that I pay $8/m for - I don't get any issues with these guys, I rarely use this service these days.

I didn't expect muat at all, but a working service is something I'd have liked, I rarely use a vpn and when I do it's for very minimal use, with the amount of servers (just cheapo VPS's at places like DigitalOcean/Vultr/Aruba and a few other places) I'd have liked to be able to use something, over the period of a year, with even some for of stability, plus, nearly two weeks now, still no reply. Lol

I've already purchased a fair few cheap VPS's from good companies and set them up as a round-robin vpn for myself and a few friends

• ArchArch Member

I think PIA has a pretty decent monopoly on the VPN industry, it's no surprise that vpn.sh is doing this. I've seen nothing but good reviews for PIA.

• Oh well... goodbye VPN.SH. I canceled subscription in PayPal, just to be sure I get no surprises.

Thank you for the idea with multiple VPS acting as VPN.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Pandy said: but i wouldn't expect 1£/y unlimited VPN to last anyway

eastonch said: What do you expect for £1/year?

I really can't stand comments like this. As a customer, you should not have to take apart a provider's business model to work out whether a plan is sustainable or not.

If a provider cannot offer a plan sustainably at a certain price point, then they shouldn't be offering it at that price point. Very simple.

What you should expect is that a provider will honour their offer. If they do not, then that is the provider's fault, and the provider's fault alone. Fuck off with the victim blaming.

• seikan said: I only need VPN few times, but their VPN always not accessible when I need it.

You can do a meme with that.

Thanked by 1muratai
  • why not just buy a LES or a cheap vps then install openvpn

• an update from vpn.sh

VPN.sh - Changes To Your Service And Billing Plan
    VPN.sh Service Changes
    Dear biach,

We aim to provide you with a high quality VPN service, and to provide a higher quality of service, we've made the decision to make some changes to your package and billing plan.

You're currently on our promotional yearly unlimited bandwidth plan, meaning that you have no limits on bandwidth to use throughout the year. We're transitioning your unlimited bandwidth plan to be paid monthly rather than yearly. Unfortunately this will come at an increased cost to your current package, however we're keen to keep you on as a client, and will provide you with a discount which keeps our service at a lower cost than our competitors.

When your service is due for renewal, you'll receive your first invoice on the new unlimited bandwidth monthly plan. This shall be priced at £2.50/month, which is a significant discount compared to new clients, and undercuts the vast majority of other VPN providers. We're ensuring that you still get great value for money, whilst we can increase the quality of our service.

If you do not wish to renew once we move to the monthly pricing structure, please login to the My Services section of our client area. Click the name of your service, and you should be able to see a red "Request Cancellation" button, where you can then cancel your service. Be sure to set the cancellation type to "End of Billing Period" to ensure that you can continue using your service until it expires.

If you have any questions, please open a support ticket.

Regards,
    VPN.sh Team

NOTE: If you have multiple yearly services with us, this shall apply to all of those services. If you have a PayPal Subscription setup, please make the necessary changes to suit either the new plan, or your cancellation.

Thanked by 1zormal