Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HP C7000
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HP C7000

AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Hey guys,

Anyone has any experience with the HP C7000 blade systems? I am mainly interested in remote administration of those. As far as I can tell, I need some OneView license, which seems extremely costly from the old stuff I've read. Anyone has any real experience with those? How much do the licenses cost actually?

Alex

Comments

• Do you REALLY want to use this thing? They are inefficient and known to kick breakers easily on spin-up plus generate enormous amount of heat by the PSUs alone (70-75% efficiency unless you have the Platinum/2012-13 one...)

Which edition do you have? 2006 (small display, ILO syncs at 100) or 2007 (large display, ILO syncs at Gbit)?

You need the OneView license on the chassis (or rather the management card) and ILO advanced licenses per node (you could just google a key) - HP gladly sells you the OneView one but from what i know due to the exact reason (keys not verified on usage) only with a full set of ILO 2/3 Advanced licenses.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I recently got extremely good pricing on those and I was thinking of getting 2x 16 blades, however you do confirm the stuff I found out - power hungry and inefficient. I figured about the ILO advanced licenses, but what actually worried me was the One View license, which I also need, I think.

On a side note, I desided it might not be worth it to go with them, over normal 1u servers with similar specs.

The revision I am talking about is the one with the big display, so 2007 I say?

• AlexBarakov said: The revision I am talking about is the one with the big display, so 2007 I say?

Yea, that's a bit better from hardware point (faster backplane) but not power efficiency - they probably come with the licenses needed though, i'm not sure you can remove them once added.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2016

Not recommended. We are about to send several chassis of these blades to be scrapped, along with a ton of defective blades.

They are terrible on power usage and HP only allows BIOS update downloads for people who have active support contracts.

The disk I/O performance is also terrible unless you buy the blades with hardware RAID with BBU and cache.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited August 2016

@William and @qps - thanks for the feedback, I desided to use our standard configurations and just order more of them. Not worth the space saving. The money we will save from this blades will be paid in electricity costs obviously. Although the units do come with hp raid with BBU, I still have worries that they won't perform well at all, after hearing some additional feedback.

Anyway, I don't want to open a new thread - I am looking for some 2.5" HDDs. Looking for recommendations on the brand and model. Note: I do not want high rpm (10-15k) drives.

• ktkt Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2016

AlexBarakov said: Anyway, I don't want to open a new thread - I am looking for some 2.5" HDDs. Looking for recommendations on the brand and model. Note: I do not want high rpm (10-15k) drives.

WD Black and HGST Travelstar (7k1000), not a lot of options really

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

kt said: WD Black and HGST Travelstar (7k1000)

Both of those are laptop hard drives. Not recommended for use in a server.

The Seagate Constellation 2.5" drives are pretty good and have reasonable prices.

If you can tolerate 5400RPM drives, I've also had good luck with the WD Red 2.5" (WD10JFCX). Zero failures so far, but fairly small sample size (under 100 drives).