Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVerZold: A true low end box with 5GB of RAM to celebrate the arrival of spring - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVerZold: A true low end box with 5GB of RAM to celebrate the arrival of spring

124»

Comments

• craigbcraigb Member
    edited March 2013

I hate you @maounique, you got me with the qemu in ramdisk idea ;p.. The oom killer just emailed me to say I'm first ;). Order placed....

• When are you gonna start accepting credit/debit cards or google checkout?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@jonnathon said: When are you gonna start accepting credit/debit cards or google checkout?

There are no plans for Credit/Debit Cards, but google checkout has been talked about in a few occasions for the UK based Iperweb LTD subsidiary. Nothing really serious, perhaps later when/if the income from the VPSes for the masses will become significant in the general cash flow.

@craigb said: I hate you @maounique, you got me with the qemu in ramdisk idea ;p..

Well, it was just one of the few things that can be done with a lot of ram, variation around the idea of a ramdisk.
    The 8 GB plan might be better suited though.
    However, remember this is still an experimental service, do not run anything like nuclear powerplant control software, NORAD Tactical Missile coordination software, perform brain surgery remotely through it and things like those.
    We may need to shut it down for hardware maintenance now and then, at times the node might be targeted by DDoSes, even some .32 kernel lockup might start WW III, or maybe some minor reactor meltdown could happen because of this...
    If you really need to run something like that, we have the Biz and Professional line which are more suitable

Past Performance is No Guarantee of Future Results !

The rumours about us going deadpool or insane might have some truth inside :)

• @Maounique said: nuclear powerplant control software

crappp too late...

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@vanarp said: is this configuration good enough to run a [small] shared web hosting?

I think it is good. People run heavy games, so...

2 nodes almost full. the third is ready but promo is over.
    Usage on CPU about 20-25 %, ram about 50%. So far we leave it like this presumably not everyone installed their apps, I think it can hold much more than this with extra ram.
    Disk is 10-15% used as space and iowait comes up only at benchmarks.

• I only see the 4GB plan, is the 8 Still available?

@Maounique said: Make a ramdisk and run qemu out of it...

Would that allow windows to run on the qemu VM?

• How well are they holding up?

• Loving this so far, but here's something I noticed on overzold.com:

Monthly fee: GPB £ 5.00

Should probably be GBP, not GPB.