Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVerZold: A true low end box with 5GB of RAM to celebrate the arrival of spring - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVerZold: A true low end box with 5GB of RAM to celebrate the arrival of spring

Comments

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@yomero said: So, according to what I've read in LEB and LET, I can use this stuff for whatever I want.

:-)

@shovenose said: I recognize my CMS

getsimple?

@Chronic said: this was intriguing enough to get me hooked, thanks.

mission completed!

@netomx said: Damn, i just want one 1 month to play with it... 5gb! but I cant waste more money

Resistance is futile!

• If any company can make this work it has to be prometeus! Sadly won't be buying one though because I have no need of more than 128mb ram. Will be keeping a close eye on this though to see how it turns out. Would love to see some usage stats from the node once it's loaded up.

• LAKidLAKid Member

@titanicsaled me too., this is a good stuff, but I only need about 128mb, 256 max...

• Copying another host I see? lol, just kidding :P

• JeffreyJeffrey Member
    edited March 2013

And DireVPS has a competitor! xD

• I'm laughing my ass off and yet thinking this is a genius idea all at the same time. Part of me actually wants to try this.

• Maybe I will get one before 21th.
    thinking....What can I use it for..

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

How much is price in USD with paypal?

@Radi said: How much is price in USD with paypal?

please use xe.com, it should be a bit less than $7 :-)

• I'll just get normal iperweb, still very cheap but with less probable neighbors I guess.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2013

@jcaleb said: with less probable neighbors I guess

Actually, regular servers have smaller VMS, some 128, even, so, in the end, you usually have more neighbors there even without overcommit...
    The only exception are the Biz SSD plans where some free space is left in purpose, besides being hosted on 16 GB ram servers.

• Pretty impressive:

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 0 @ 2.00GHz
    Number of cores : 4
    CPU frequency :  1999.891 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 5120 MB
    Total amount of swap : 512 MB
    System uptime :   9 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 41.5MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 14.6MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 19.2MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 2.00MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 13.8MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 1.83MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 11.7MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 16.6MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 18.6MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 31.6MB/s
    I/O speed :  473 MB/s

@compuguy said: Pretty impressive:

looks good. an empty node I suppose :-)

• NoermanNoerman Member
    edited March 2013

@Chronic said: I've been meaning to give it a shot and try a VPS with you for a while now, but I never quite needed one. This was intriguing enough to get me hooked, thanks.

Edit: ServerBear benchmark results, in case anyone is interested: http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2013/03/17/W6U8By6vi3QSAaTF

System Benchmarks Index Score 1510.1

Let compare with "VPS Four @ ShoveHost.com - RAM: 4GB (+2GB vSwap); CPU: 4 Cores; Disk: 200GB; Bandwidth: 4TB; $7/month"

@Noerman said: Before I make benchmark

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2013/02/12/XTEwJaeqe6y1ZItf
    System Benchmarks Index Score 4418.1

Then I'm experiencing really slow VPS. So then few hours ago I make another benchmark

http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2013/02/19/xqSzxRFPftm1vxlm
    System Benchmarks Index Score 140.3

I'm not expert on reading this kind of benchmark but basically I'm not happy with that, so I ask to move to another node, but finally I just move to budgetvm.com

Just maybe I move to overzold by next months.

• nvtienvnnvtienvn Member
    edited March 2013

nothing...

• is this..real?

• xur17xur17 Member

@prometeus said: anything that don't affect the overall IO. If your vps trigger our monitoring alarms then it's not light. Limit your settings and everything should be ok.

If the stuff you are downloading isn't too large, just make a ram disk to limit your io.

• damn, i dont know what to do if i buy this vps =(

stop offering you guys!! you only make me buy with no reason!

@David_P said: is this..real?

nope, just an april 1st beta test :P

• @LAKid you can fit a whole classroom of users here =)

@jcaleb said: you can fit a whole classroom of users here

Smaller boxes are more challenging I suppose :-)

• So what are people using this for? Just curious

@prometeus what use cases (except idling ;)) do you have in mind that would benefit from this amount of RAM on OVZ?

@craigb said: what use cases (except idling

idling is a good usage plan for us! :-D
    Consider this vps like a Rolls-Royce, you don't want to use it for everyday travelling, just on selected occasions :-D

• @craigb said: So what are people using this for? Just curious

just for ep

• Really nice domain name indeed.

• FreekFreek Member

Don't need one, still ordered one... Why?
    Anyway, I like this project. Whereas other hosting companies just oversell and don't tell their clients, Prometeus is honest and upfront about it. If managed correctly, I think this can work. We'll see!

• @Freek said: Prometeus is honest and upfront about it. If managed correctly, I think this can work. We'll see!

Yeep. :) My first VPS from Prometeus. rather excited..and can't wait to see how this project works out.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2013

Regarding usage, from the tickets so far and java threads ic an say people are using for minecraft.
    It can also have a nice ramdisk if you need some crazy iops database, but for such usage the 8GB plan will probably be better. Make a ramdisk and run qemu out of it...
    Experimenting is another feature of LEB/LET as well as creativity, so, while this is not really small box, it can be played with in ways you didnt do before or even heard of :)

• KrisKris Member
    edited March 2013

Really like the project. 100% up front about resources (it's in the bloody name) and with the monster hardware that's on this node, I think it will take a good battering with ease.

Worse case, they'll stop offering it, and probably upgrade hardware / keep existing customers happy.

Best case, well... good luck EU providers if they decide to expand past Italy.

SB: http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2013/03/20/n6zrlkQ3rVAC5MoY

• is this configuration good enough to run a [small] shared web hosting?

OR is that a very bad idea?