Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVerZold: A true low end box with 5GB of RAM to celebrate the arrival of spring - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVerZold: A true low end box with 5GB of RAM to celebrate the arrival of spring

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited March 2013

Well, he doesnt want 2G, this is 5G, a whole different monster.
    I always insisted that OVZ without overselling is somewhat a waste of resources, our servers dont go over 30% usage. I tried to push uncle to do it like almost everyone else and when I finally gave up... Well, at least when he does it, he does it...
    It is an experiment for us, I say it will work, he says it wont but not so sure anymore, frankly I am not so sure anymore either, I didnt expect 5G, more like 4, since we already had a 3 GB plan for 7 $ before anyone else.
    We will see how this goes, keeping fingers crossed :)
    IF it is to fail, we wont abandon the ppl that bought them till then, will just move them to smaller nodes.
    Since people asked, the hardware is an odd server we had, 96 GB, dual E5, 8 SAS2 drives in raid 10 (we usually have 6 in raid 5). It is not SSD and this is why I worry mostly, but with so much ram per plan and so many spinners I finally expect to hit CPU and memory limit before IO. So, the limitation will probably be the CPU because the memory can be upgraded as needed.

• @craigb said: I lol'd - tis just the 5GB offers u order then ;p

Haha yeah i got weak since i couldn't let such a good offer from a reputable provider just pass :D

Anyway this will be my first time running a desktop environment on a VPS so it will be some fun :)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@gsrdgrdghd said: It's correctly set in WHMCS but you might want to fix the email

it should be a bug of hostbill, the variable in the template seems the right one... :-(

@emilv said: What are the specs of this node?

it's a dual E5-2620, ram is expandable to near infinite (24 sockets), 96GB present atm. The target is 4-5 overcommit, let see how it works when everything is settled... :-)

• superpilesossuperpilesos Member
    edited March 2013

Time for me to start a minecraft host company

• emilvemilv Member

Cool. :)

BTW, today it is 1 year since I became a Prometeus customer :)
    Still have the box, it runs the board :)

• MikeInMikeIn Member
    edited March 2013

@Maounique said: BTW, today it is 1 year since I became a Prometeus customer :)

Still have the box, it runs the board :)

Good :)

Simply awesome Offer form Uncle :).......................

Somehow from 5GB HDD to 5GB RAM O.o

M.

• Mine was marked as fraud as well even though I am sitting at home, I guess uncle really wants to make sure there is no abuser on this :)

@nvtienvn said: i've just ordered one, but it's mark as fraud :(

• Just got my welcome email, but it says:

Bandwidth Limit: 1 MB

Wow...I think I am going over that soon! :)

@zhuanyi said: Bandwidth Limit: 1 MB

Yes, it seems a bug of hostbill. I remove that bit of information from the template for now....

• tommytommy Member
    edited March 2013

hmmm :D
    The promotion code you have entered doesn't exist

what's the right promotion code?

I need large ram for testing few apps

wft the font size really big :P ---remove ticket--

The code is OVerZold50-30OFF , you need to select first the 5G plan :-)

• tommytommy Member

lol sorry, my mistake I choose the wrong plan

• @prometeus is minecraft allowed on this plan?

edited March 2013

In theory, everything allowed on the regular non-oversold plans is allowed here too, however, we might put some breaks on CPU if it seems to use too much of it.
    Also, this is not SSD, so I would recommend against it, but it is allowed.

• Other big ram guys throttle the cpu's.

edited March 2013

@jcaleb said: Other big ram guys throttle the cpu's.

Yes, as I said, there is nothing new under the sun, we were some kind of the odd chick that doesnt go with the crowd and uncle didnt want to offer non-guaranteeed resources under the main brands, so this is a kind of compromise we reached.
    You should not imagine we will allow this to go worse than the other vendors. If it fails and ppl are not happy, we will take the loss and move them to other servers with guaranteed resources or split over multiple servers until the loads are OK and everyone happy.
    We are the guinea pigs here, if it does not work, you will get a huge Prometeus server at a dirt cheap price.
    If I were a customer I would pray it wont work :P

• This will work, I'm 99.97% sure

• emilvemilv Member

Dont allow Minecraft, it attracts DDoS kiddies. :P

• @emilv said: Dont allow Minecraft, it attracts DDoS kiddies. :P

This is what I will pray, that iperweb guys dont allow.

@emilv said: Dont allow Minecraft, it attracts DDoS kiddies

minecraft alone would not suffice. two days ago a guy received 4-5 Gbps to a irc client/bouncer, some run other games. I created the Biz plans for this very reason, you pay a little bit and get better neighbors as part of the deal as most ddos magnet are forbidden...

• LAKidLAKid Member
    edited March 2013

edit..

@LAKid said: Order link disabled?

It seems working to me? I see orders are coming, so it should works...

Do you get some error?

• LAKidLAKid Member

@prometeus My mistake...

edited March 2013

@emilv said: Dont allow Minecraft, it attracts DDoS kiddies

We have a 2 strikes and you are out policy regarding DDoS. We do not advertise and do not offer DDoS protected services.
    Of course, in case of outgoing DoS, there is no second chance...

• So, according to what I've read in LEB and LET, I can use this stuff for whatever I want... :P

Not really, you need to respect the ToS/AUP.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I recognize my CMS :)

• ChronicChronic Member
    edited March 2013

I've been meaning to give it a shot and try a VPS with you for a while now, but I never quite needed one. This was intriguing enough to get me hooked, thanks.

Edit: ServerBear benchmark results, in case anyone is interested: http://serverbear.com/benchmark/2013/03/17/W6U8By6vi3QSAaTF

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Damn, i just want one 1 month to play with it... 5gb! but I cant waste more money :(