Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Paypal account frozen between 2006 and 2015? Get paid!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Paypal account frozen between 2006 and 2015? Get paid!

DerekDerek Member

If you had an active PayPal account between April 19, 2006 and November 5, 2015 and had a hold or reserve placed on your account, and/or the account was closed or suspended by PayPal, you are a Claims Class Member. In order to receive a Settlement payment, you must timely submit a Claim.

More Information

To file a claim

Payment Amounts

They range between $3 to about $2000 depending on amount and time.

Thanked by 1doghouch

Comments

• sinsin Member

I got a $3.15 check from the last class action lawsuit I was in...bought some gumballs and a soda.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited July 2016

@Derek said:
    If you had an active PayPal account between April 19, 2006 and November 5, 2015 and had a hold or reserve placed on your account, and/or the account was closed or suspended by PayPal, you are a Claims Class Member. In order to receive a Settlement payment, you must timely submit a Claim.

More Information

To file a claim

Payment Amounts

They range between $3 to about $2000 depending on amount and time.

Hopefully I get my $45 back... not that it's an extreme amount, but still, it's enough to pay a VPS bill

• emgemg Veteran

@sin said:
    I got a $3.15 check from the last class action lawsuit I was in...bought some gumballs and a soda.

The lawyers in that case got a $3.15 million check. ... They bought gumball and soda factories. :-o

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Back a long time ago (2009 or something) I had an account that was frozen because I was under 18, had like $200 in it and still does probably. But I would never participate in one of these just to get some money back. PayPal is awesome, I have credit cards with them and basically use them as my main bank account.

• nepsneps Member

MikeA said: basically use them as my main bank account

Whoa, don't get me wrong, PayPal is awesome, but using them as your main bank account? You're living on the edge, friend.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • @MikeA said:
    Back a long time ago (2009 or something) I had an account that was frozen because I was under 18, had like $200 in it and still does probably. But I would never participate in one of these just to get some money back. PayPal is awesome, I have credit cards with them and basically use them as my main bank account.

I use PP as a middleman with my bank and have my CC there too. But I find using PP AS a bank, is foolish.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@pcfreak30 said:

@MikeA said:

I use PP as a middleman with my bank and have my CC there too. But I find using PP AS a bank, is foolish.

@neps said:

Whoa, don't get me wrong, PayPal is awesome, but using them as your main bank account? You're living on the edge, friend.

>

Thanked by 1netomx

@neps said:

Explain why it's "living on the edge"? Obviously I have money in other banks locally, but I find it more of an annoyance to constantly withdraw funds from PayPal just if I want to go out and buy something. Unless you're doing risky business with your account I don't see why you should be afraid of using PayPal. I've used them for over 5 years and they've always been great to me, whether it's dealing with chargebacks/disputes or just needing help with things like my PayPal cards.

• sirmbhesirmbhe Member
    edited August 2016

@MikeA said:

@neps said:

Explain why it's "living on the edge"? Obviously I have money in other banks locally, but I find it more of an annoyance to constantly withdraw funds from PayPal just if I want to go out and buy something. Unless you're doing risky business with your account I don't see why you should be afraid of using PayPal. I've used them for over 5 years and they've always been great to me, whether it's dealing with chargebacks/disputes or just needing help with things like my PayPal cards.

Because out of nowhere, one day Paypal could wake up from his bed and think, "ah this is a good day to freeze someone's account. Let's pick a random one". And if you happen to be that one lucky guy, your nightmare'sjust started. Because different than local bank that we could visit and talk to the customer service when we have such problem, PayPal isn't (although they also have a phone customer service). And trust me, PayPal customer service experience is like a total lottery draw. Sometimes you get lucky and have your problem solved immediately, but sometimes even after you beg they won't care much about you. So you know, that's pretty much sums up living on the edge for me.

@sirmbhe said:

@MikeA said:

@neps said:

Because out of nowhere, one day Paypal could wake up from his bed and think, "ah this is a good day to freeze someone's account. Let's pick a random one". And if you happen to be that one lucky guy, your nightmare'sjust started. Because different than local bank that we could visit and talk to the customer service when we have such problem, PayPal isn't (although they also have a phone customer service). And trust me, PayPal customer service experience is like a total lottery draw. Sometimes you get lucky and have your problem solved immediately, but sometimes even after you beg they won't care much about you. So you know, that's pretty much sums up living on the edge for me.

You must be having a dream. PayPal doesn't just freeze accounts for no reason. As long as you're abiding by their ToS and local tax laws (if applicable per country), they will never freeze your account. I've called PayPal about a dozen times over the past 5 years, not much but they were always nice to me and got to the point of my question/issue. Maybe it's just because I treat the service reps respectfully and they see that my account has had no issues over the years. Who knows, but your experience definitely isn't a common experience unless you're breaking their ToS or are doing something with your account that looks suspicious.

• LeeLee Veteran

I have been using PayPal in the UK for 13 years, never had any issues, they are regulated in the same was as all UK banks so they cannot just decide to freeze anything without reason.

They do some shit things, like many banks, providers here and so on but follow their terms and you won't have an issue. Not sure what the protection is like in other countries but from a UK viewpoint the consumer is king, not PayPal.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

it should be good valid reason for suspending account or freezing of funds, it can be only the following reasons: money laundry, selling drugs or other illegal activity .

I don't think that genuine account will have such issue.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

MikeA said: But I would never participate in one of these just to get some money back.

So...you lost money?

The money is already taken from PP. Now the question is how it'll be divided. You're not "betraying" Paypal here.

I generally make about $20 a year on class action suits. Every few months, something arrives in my mailbox saying "have YOU been RAPED and DEFILED by the Western Washington Storm Door Company? File a claim!" You fill out a postcard and then a few months after that, you get a check for $1.75.

Meanwhile, attorneys get millions.

99% of class action lawsuits are complete BS...it's a small industry in the US. There are a few where it's 10 people who get together and sue and sometimes that makes sense, but these big settlements are just silly. The defendants, btw, prefer class action lawsuits, because then they're negotiating with one set of attorneys, not hundreds of claimants, so it's a scam all around.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • bizzardbizzard Member
    edited August 2016

So, what actually does this mean? I had a PayPal account and was suspended due to a chargeback, of which I didn't get any notification and Paypal now needs me to pay that amount to have it re-activated. Does this mean I can have it re-activated, without making that payment?

Btw, at the time of account suspension, I believe the balance was zero.

Edit:
    Never Mind. My account was not with PayPal in US.

• So this is only for US Paypal account? weird they still put country filed on the form.