Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[ASK] Price for a Dedi with this spec: DeLL Precision 670 - Intel Xeon 3.4 Ghz ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[ASK] Price for a Dedi with this spec: DeLL Precision 670 - Intel Xeon 3.4 Ghz ?

DragonDFDragonDF Member
edited March 2013 in Providers

Hi guys!
I'd like to know what could be a good price for a Dedicated server with these specs paying by MONTH and by YEAR:

DeLL Precision 670 - Intel Xeon 3.4 Ghz
2 GB ram
150 GB HDD

If I am not wrong, it has only 1 core.
( ark.intel.com/products/28018/64-bit-Intel-Xeon-Processor-3_40-GHz-2M-Cache-800-MHz-FSB )

A second doubt:
What is the advantage to get a 2Gb ram DEDI if you can get for a cheaper price a VPS ($7/month) with the same 2 Gb RAM?

Can I create VPS with a Dedi like this (virtualization)?

Thank you!

Have a great week!

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member

@DragonDF said: What is the advantage to get a 2Gb ram DEDI if you can get for a cheaper price a VPS ($7/month) with the same 2 Gb RAM?

Only advantage is that it's dedicated resources with a dedi and shared with a VPS.

Can I create VPS with a Dedi like this (virtualization)?

I don't believe so.. the Intel site should tell you if it can be used for virtualization.

I'd pay only $25 a month. Depending on the DC/location too.

I don't pay yearly for dedis, and I don't think many will considering it's specs.

• I am afraid this server is not worth the electricity it is burning.

• RyanDRyanD Member

It will cost more than $25/month just to put it in a rack and give it power.

• What rack? This is tower.
    Yes, colo would probably cost more than $25/month.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited March 2013

Why not get a Atom with more disk for $25/month :P as these will consume a good amount of power + well, may not last long as they're already pretty old ?

• @Ishaq
    So, in VPS I can have 1 core used for a lot of people?

$25 is a good price for pay by month. Ok, thanks!

@rds100
    hahahaha
    :)
    Yes, I think it is tower.
    And I am not asking about COLO, but all in.

@RyanD
    I do not have it. I am asking because a person offered me and I do not have idea about prices.
    So, If I do not have the server but I will pay for it, $25 is the price?

@SpeedBus
    Because a person offered me one with these specs.
    I think it is old, really, but... maybe I can pay not so much for it. :)

ANOTHER DOUBT (if you allow me):

I have a Core i3 2.10Ghz, 2Gb ram, 500Gb HD laptop. I have a home internet connetct with 10 Mbs I could buy more 2Gb ram, but I think I can not use it at home as a SERVER (due port blocks).
    Is this the problem to have a home based server?
    I am asking you this because for me it will be very good. I can learn a lot with a server near me.

Thank you, guys!

edited March 2013

@DragonDF said: I have a Core i3 2.10Ghz, 2Gb ram, 500Gb HD laptop. I have a home internet connetct with 10 Mbs I could buy more 2Gb ram, but I think I can not use it at home as a SERVER (due port blocks).

Is this the problem to have a home based server?

Does your ISP block the ports or ?
    Try forwarding the ports from the router ?

• IshaqIshaq Member

@DragonDF said: So, in VPS I can have 1 core used for a lot of people?

Cores are used by others too, yes.

• @SpeedBus
    Yes, the ISP block the ports. I think they do not want you use your computer as a server. But I think there is a way, but I don't know how, yet.
    Suggestions?

For me it could be great to learn at home. I usually pay not so much for VPS to train. But I can only learn in the CLIENT side. :(

@Ishaq
    ok. So, in this case, 1 core = some guys using it.

Thank you!

What about prices?

Ah, I was thinking about to pay by MONTH and not by year. But I think they do not have this option.

edited March 2013

@DragonDF said: Yes, the ISP block the ports. I think they do not want you use your computer as a server. But I think there is a way, but I don't know how, yet.

Suggestions?

All the ports ? they must be leaving a few open for sure

EDIT: If you can get VPN installed then, You could ask them to VPN into the host machine and then access their VPSes with internal IPs ?

• All ports?
    No, I am sure not.
    Yes, a few open.

VPN: any suggestion?
    Tks!

• Do you know how to change my profile image? Avatar?

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@DragonDF said: Do you know how to change my profile image? Avatar?

gravatar

@DragonDF said: VPN: any suggestion?

Tks!

PPTP / OpenVPN should work

• earlearl Member
    edited March 2013

@DragonDF said: All ports?

No, I am sure not.

Who is your ISP?

Also for educational purposes it's better with a VPS cause if you goof up you can reinstall the server from souluvm, with a dedi they may charge you to reload the OS unless it includes a KVMoIP/IPMI which then you can do yourself, but I doubt this dedi would include this..

you can also check out OVH, their servers come with a panel that you can reinstall the OS for your server from the client area, and it also starts from 10 euro p/m..

• It is from BRAZIL. It is called GVT (gvt.com.br)

• earlearl Member

Hmm not in english.. but if you are in Brazil you can order from ovh.pt

• @earl
    .pt is a Portugal domain, not brazilian.

I thought when you asked about ISP, you were asking about the INTERNET provider.
    Here in Brazil you can use: Oi, GVT, Net and Sky. I think these are the most famous.

• earlearl Member
    edited March 2013

@DragonDF said: I thought when you asked about ISP, you were asking about the INTERNET provider.

yes you were correct I was asking for you home internet provider.. but unfortunately it's not in english, so I can't really search whether or not they block ports..

you can order from ovh.pt if you are in Portugal and brazil, like in canada I can order from ovh.ie/kimsufi.ie

here is the corresponding county to domain list from OVH:

http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/availability.xml

• I saw it.
    But when I asked about the use of my LAPTOP it was because I could learn with a computer with a better specs.

I lost this reply:

@earl said: Also for educational purposes it's better with a VPS cause if you goof up you can reinstall the server from souluvm, with a dedi they may charge you to reload the OS unless it includes a KVMoIP/IPMI which then you can do yourself, but I doubt this dedi would include this..

you can also check out OVH, their servers come with a panel that you can reinstall the OS for your server from the client area, and it also starts from 10 euro p/m..

I could read it now.
    VPS: YES, I think you are right. And there is another difference: the price.
    The problem is: I will never learn how to setup a server from the beginning. :)

About OVH, I think it can be a good option as a dedi server, specially with this price you mentioned.
    10 euros or something like 12 dollars.

• earlearl Member
    edited March 2013

@DragonDF said: I could read it now.

I apoligize about that I added it after..

@DragonDF said: The problem is: I will never learn how to setup a server from the beginning. :)

if you want to try from the beginning, which I think you mean install the OS yourself then buy a KVM VPS, this essentially allows you to install the OS from scratch.

@DragonDF said: About OVH, I think it can be a good option as a dedi server, specially with this price you mentioned.

10 euros or something like 12 dollars.

I have a couple of these and yes they are great! most people get lucky and get provisioned on the atom n2800 for the price of the mks2g, I saw a similar offer for an atom hosted in Brazil and they are asking for $129/m!!

you can install proxmox on the mks2g and OVZ will work fine but unfotunately the atom does not have intel VT so you cannot create a KVM based VPS's.

you can also look into virtualbox, if you want to try virtualization from your home computer..

• It was not your fault. I think the browser did not update. :)

KVM is not so cheap. I saw in lowendbox some for about $7 or 8 if I am not wrong.

Virtualbox: why not use VMware? It has a free version, too.

Dedi: if we compare with the prices the guys wrote before ($25) for the option I wrote in the beginning, it can be a good option, really.

• I think it is different to try virtualization with a LINUX OS and my Windows XP OS. Very different. :)
    I had a lot of difficulties when I tried. Linux is not easy to install drivers. After 30 days trying.. I installed the windows in 30 min. No problem any more.

• earlearl Member

@DragonDF said: Dedi: if we compare with the prices the guys wrote before ($25)

What I was trying to say is that they are selling atoms in brazil for $129USD so it's highly doubtful you will get the Dell 670 for $25 p/m, unless it not hosted in brazil?

@DragonDF said: KVM is not so cheap. I saw in lowendbox some for about $7 or 8 if I am not wrong.

not sure if the offer still works but you can try, I have a KVM VPS with them 256 MB ram 4gb disk $1.5/m but I think they discontinued these pricing..

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/front-range-hosting-2-81month-384mb-kvm-in-denver/

@DragonDF said: Virtualbox: why not use VMware? It has a free version, too.

They are different, virtualbox you install on windows, so you can use together with your desktop. vmware is baremetal this takes over a whole computer.

• @Ishaq said: I don't believe so.. the Intel site should tell you if it can be used for virtualization.

OpenVZ and Xen PV are no virtualizations though...

• @earl
    No, I will not contract in BRAZIL. Here everything is 300% more expensive (minimum). It is not smart to contract ANYTHING here.
    A Toyota Corolla, for example, costs 2x the price of the USA.

The KVM offer (384mb) is gone.

"Oops, there's a problem...

Out of Stock

We are currently out of stock on this item so orders for it have been suspended until more stock is available. For further information, please contact us.
    "

Virtualbox X VmWare: I will need more time to understand the difference. I like to use VMWare workstation in my machines. VMWare I can use in Desktop, too, but inside the player or the workstation.