Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH VPS SSD and Free CP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH VPS SSD and Free CP

NotNiceNotNice Member

Hi,
Just wanted to ask you guys what's your opinion on having a personal website on OVH's VPS SSD1 with a Free CP? I'm thinking of CentOS Web Panel and VestCP as my options for the CP. I'm going to use it to build and host my personal website, probably going to use Wordpress on it. Might want to add a phpBB or Flarum on it but that's a bit optional.

Looking for suggestions as well.

Thanks

Comments

• Yea, VestaCP quite good though no Ipv6.

• MacPacMacPac Member

CP is good for un-experienced sys admins, if you are looking to be a linux admin try to host your stuff without a control panel, do it with nginx try to understand the configurations, optimize your server and you will diffidently do better after a short time.

• @MacPac said:
    CP is good for un-experienced sys admins, if you are looking to be a linux admin try to host your stuff without a control panel, do it with nginx try to understand the configurations, optimize your server and you will diffidently do better after a short time.

Thanks, but I'm not really sure I want to be a sys admin. I might want to know more about stuff but that would be way over me. I'm just looking to see if I can have a VPS of my own to host my website which will a site that my Youtube subscribers can visit in the future.

• @NotNice said:

@MacPac said:

Thanks, but I'm not really sure I want to be a sys admin. I might want to know more about stuff but that would be way over me. I'm just looking to see if I can have a VPS of my own to host my website which will a site that my Youtube subscribers can visit in the future.

You don't really need to know much to host a nice little website with nginx, just follow the guides and you will absolutely be fine, but it'd definitely nice to learn more than needed, in case you ever need it.

Take your time off your YouTube Channel and life to learn how these stuff work, it's actually very fascinating - I had fun learning.

Being a "sysadmin" isn't a crazy commitment, regardless of how intensive it could sound.

If you are willing to take some time to learn, you will realize that you don't actually need a CP at all, save that resource to serve more visitors! :)

Regardless though, if you want a nice CP, try Ajenti-V, its not the speediest thing out there (which is why I ditched it) but its pretty feature-complete.

Good luck!

-ed

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

The VPS cloud comes with a free 10site Plesk licence, bit pricey though?

• Currently I am a VestaCP fan. It has letsencrypt support, and I have submitted many PR's to it for fixes. One being to fix letsencrypt :).

• @theroyalstudent said:

@NotNice said:

@MacPac said:

You don't really need to know much to host a nice little website with nginx, just follow the guides and you will absolutely be fine, but it'd definitely nice to learn more than needed, in case you ever need it.

Take your time off your YouTube Channel and life to learn how these stuff work, it's actually very fascinating - I had fun learning.

Being a "sysadmin" isn't a crazy commitment, regardless of how intensive it could sound.

If you are willing to take some time to learn, you will realize that you don't actually need a CP at all, save that resource to serve more visitors! :)

Regardless though, if you want a nice CP, try Ajenti-V, its not the speediest thing out there (which is why I ditched it) but its pretty feature-complete.

Good luck!

-ed

Thanks, I'll try to learn some more, maybe in the future? I've always used either a Hosting or Reseller account with cPanel before so I'm not quite used with owning a VPS and using a different CP before.

I'll still try to learn more things on this side as it goes on but currently, recording and editing videos take quite a lot of time for me right now since I'm uploading everyday. It'll be nice to have a skillset for this stuff specially since I might be using it more often in the future if the website/forum I'll build will have more visitors.

Thanks

• NotNiceNotNice Member
    edited July 2016

@pbgben said:
    The VPS cloud comes with a free 10site Plesk licence, bit pricey though?

I tend to pre-pay for a year for services so I don't have to budget it every month since I'll never know if either my bills will spike or some other emergency IRL will come to me. And with that, I can't really pay for the VPS cloud for now since I'd like to pay Annually.

• @pcfreak30 said:
    Currently I am a VestaCP fan. It has letsencrypt support, and I have submitted many PR's to it for fixes. One being to fix letsencrypt :).

I'm not sure what that is honestly since I'm not that quite familiar with VPS yet but hoping to get more terms and stuff as I go about into making my personal site.

• spitzspitz Member

Don't think it's necessary to make a new thread and I have the same plan as OP in mind. Quick question: what linux distributions the vps line offer? I looked at the website and I saw no Ubuntu 16.

• @spitz said:
    Don't think it's necessary to make a new thread and I have the same plan as OP in mind. Quick question: what linux distributions the vps line offer? I looked at the website and I saw no Ubuntu 16.

If you really need Ubuntu 16 (not sure if they have it), install Ubuntu 14 and run do-release-upgrade (install it manually if it isn't)

Thanked by 1spitz
  • What are you guys thoughts on the OVH VPS Cloud 1?

• @NotNice said:
    What are you guys thoughts on the OVH VPS Cloud 1?

Not Nice ;)

• YmpkerYmpker Member

VPSSIM might be a good way to start learning and yet use it efficiently from the very beginning :-)
    https://vpssim.com/

• @spitz said:

You technically can use any distro.

• @NotNice said:

@pcfreak30 said:
    Currently I am a VestaCP fan. It has letsencrypt support, and I have submitted many PR's to it for fixes. One being to fix letsencrypt :).

I'm not sure what that is honestly since I'm not that quite familiar with VPS yet but hoping to get more terms and stuff as I go about into making my personal site.

Letsencrypt is the beginning of free SSL certs for your site for life.

• sinsin Member

@NotNice said:
    What are you guys thoughts on the OVH VPS Cloud 1?

I used it for 2 months and then switched back to the OVH SSD VPS 2 plan for $6.99/month. OVH's 2016 VPSes are pretty amazing especially considering the price (and the SSD version now has an SLA too).

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2016

Had my VPS Cloud 2014 since 4/29/14 and had zero downtime from OVH, 100% uptime as far as uptime robot shows minus the times I've rebooted for various things.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited August 2016

@theroyalstudent It isn't difficult, but it is frustrating.

Example scenario in a "typical" IT environment:

Joe: Hey, my computer doesn't work!

IT Department: Have you tried turning it on?"

Joe: I'm not stupid. I've tried.

IT Department: Fine, we'll be right over.

(IT guy comes down)

IT Guy: Try to turn it on.

Joe: It doesn't work though, you useless freak.

IT Guy: Just do it.

Joe: Fine. There. It doesn't work.

IT Guy: It appears to me that YOU WERE PUSHING THE "OPEN DVD DRIVE" BUTTON. Who's the useless freak now?

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • @doghouch said:

(IT guy comes down)

Mary: Fine. There. It doesn't work.

IT Guy: It appears to me that YOU WERE PUSHING THE "OPEN DVD DRIVE" BUTTON. Who's the useless freak now?

Can confirm this is usually how it is.

Why did Joe turn into Mary though? :P

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • @hostnoob said:

@doghouch said:

(IT guy comes down)

Mary: Fine. There. It doesn't work.

Can confirm this is usually how it is.

Why did Joe turn into Mary though? :P

sowwy its hard to format and write on a phone that has the tiniest screen ever

fixed :P

• sinsin Member

pbgben said: Had my VPS Cloud 2014

I don't have any of those fancy graphs in my OVH panel :(